Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > different personel in an IT department

different personel in an IT department

why?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:49:26 -0600, Mara wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:36:25 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
>wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:24:50 -0600, Mara wrote:

><snip>

<big snip>

>>One useless type IIRC, not long before they left got something like
>>7.5%, caused a lot of complaints. So they left saying thier base salary
>>was that much higher <groan>

>Sure. Riiiight.

Not kidding (that's 7 point 5) , the guy had complaints against him from
the other IT staff for months. What's the expression?? Everybody else
had to carry him, due to his incompetence.

<snip>

>>>myself. I'll even let you in on a little secret - I'd never worked with a domain
>>>network until then. <bg>

>>LOL, watch out for those Windows Server boys, like to blame the network
>> or the non-Windows DNS , or the routing or the ....

We had a new DNS setup turned on at the weekend. Complaints this morning
and I am still waiting for my admin rights to get in.

>They're not called "notworks" for nothing. <g>

Mine works fine , thank you very much. It's the test engineers pumping
out 1000's of multicasts / second that's the issue oddly enough the
source and destination are the same PC, but they have to flood it
everywhere else.

>Our is actually pretty stable,considering. The actual machines are pure crap,
>though. The HP network printers are even worse. They keep dropping connections
>for no reason I can find, and of course I get to listen to the screaming when
>people have to restart their machines to get them back. It's the only way,
>though.

We were a mainly HP printer site for a very long time 8+ years and a few
100 of them, a lot of DM, Lasers and standalone print servers. Not an
issue.

One thing we did is disable the unused protocols. A few Apple users had
1 HP with Appletalk enabled. DLC was left on for the larger dept
printers, for the Jet Admin / Web based remote access. So it' was 98%
TCP/IP only.

We did have some jerk get a worm inside the WAN, this caused a problem
with some Kyocera printers. They had NetBEUI and looked similar to a
Windows PC in that respect. On some of the printers the NIC firmware all
the same version hung up when the worm activated.

Spotted this using a packet sniffer.

<snip>

>server, but we're actually a subnet that runs through a bigger area-wide
>network, and no one knows what the hell's going on, including the people at the
>other network. All this was put in by one man, and he didn't tell anyone at work

We are taking a country wide WAN and physically splitting it for
commercial reasons. Hence the comments throughout the earlier replies.

>anything about it. Nothing. I've got four switches/routers, and no one knows how
>to find the IP addresses to them - I've never run big Ciscos before, and the
>other network hasn't a clue either.

Ah big Cisco's lots of fun. Can't promise anything, what models?

You want to have a wander around www.cisco.com , lots of command
references and setup guides, tutorials.
Some bits there require a login, like downloading new software images. I
guess it's something you won't be doing

At the most basic you will need telnet , with the IP address or a serial
port dumb terminal to access the devices (assuming all Cisco) and the
enable password to see the configuration with -

Most Cisco kit also has a serial console port, using the supplied blue
rollover cable, this should work with any dumb terminal software like
HyperTerm.
The console port connection can be password protected as well.

Cisco IOS , is the name of the software , there are quite a few
versions.

Once connected to the box, I prefer HyperTerm set to capture to a file.

By default the info you need is password protected and at the enable
prompt.

As a pure example only, once connected.

Router>enable

Router#show version

Router#show running-config

There should be a line or 2 like this

Interface Vlan1
ip address <ip> <subnet mask>

or it may have

no ip address

Router#exit

Please read the online docs first.

<big snip>

Me

Mara

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:21:05 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
wrote:

<snip>
>Not kidding (that's 7 point 5) , the guy had complaints against him from
>the other IT staff for months. What's the expression?? Everybody else
>had to carry him, due to his incompetence.

I didn't mean you. I meant him expecting people to believe him. What a dork.

><snip>

>>>LOL, watch out for those Windows Server boys, like to blame the network
>>> or the non-Windows DNS , or the routing or the ....

>We had a new DNS setup turned on at the weekend. Complaints this morning
>and I am still waiting for my admin rights to get in.

Typical. <sigh>

>>They're not called "notworks" for nothing. <g>

>Mine works fine , thank you very much. It's the test engineers pumping
>out 1000's of multicasts / second that's the issue oddly enough the
>source and destination are the same PC, but they have to flood it
>everywhere else.

I've gone through the machines and cleaned the malware off, but haven't had time
to do much of anything else. I suspect something like this happening may explain
some things.

>>Our is actually pretty stable,considering. The actual machines are pure crap,
>>though. The HP network printers are even worse. They keep dropping connections
>>for no reason I can find, and of course I get to listen to the screaming when
>>people have to restart their machines to get them back. It's the only way,
>>though.

>We were a mainly HP printer site for a very long time 8+ years and a few
>100 of them, a lot of DM, Lasers and standalone print servers. Not an
>issue.
>
>One thing we did is disable the unused protocols. A few Apple users had
>1 HP with Appletalk enabled. DLC was left on for the larger dept
>printers, for the Jet Admin / Web based remote access. So it' was 98%
>TCP/IP only.

Everything I have is TCP/IP, AFAICS. We have quite a few printers, but only two
that do this - a 4200n and a 4300n. I don't consider it much of an issue since a
simple reboot restores the connection, but there are a few people who don't like
to take the minute or two it takes to reboot.

>We did have some jerk get a worm inside the WAN, this caused a problem
>with some Kyocera printers. They had NetBEUI and looked similar to a
>Windows PC in that respect. On some of the printers the NIC firmware all
>the same version hung up when the worm activated.

We haven't had a malware incident since I cleaned the machines last April. Every
single one except one were infected with multiple instances of worms, etc.. All
but four of the machines were running Norton, the rest, McAfee. I removed both
and installed Kapersky.

>Spotted this using a packet sniffer.

Good idea. Ethereal?

><snip>
>
>>server, but we're actually a subnet that runs through a bigger area-wide
>>network, and no one knows what the hell's going on, including the people at the
>>other network. All this was put in by one man, and he didn't tell anyone at work

>We are taking a country wide WAN and physically splitting it for
>commercial reasons. Hence the comments throughout the earlier replies.

BIG "fun," then. You have my sympathies.

>>anything about it. Nothing. I've got four switches/routers, and no one knows how
>>to find the IP addresses to them - I've never run big Ciscos before, and the
>>other network hasn't a clue either.

>Ah big Cisco's lots of fun. Can't promise anything, what models?

I don't even know that. They're locked up in a closet in the CFO's office, and I
don't have access to it. Yet.

Nice way to run a network, eh?

<snipped immensely valuable stuff>

Archived! Thanks. You'll never know how much I appreciate this.

--
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
why? spewed forth:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:31:01 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> why? spewed forth:
>>> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:49:05 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
>>>

>> Good thing to do - relaxing. During the spring, summer and fall, I
>> spend a

> Hayfever
>
>> good bit of time in the yard/garden. That helps me relax and get
>> over the shitty work week. But this time of year, all is mud and
>> dead. Maybe I need to pick up some indoor hobby for the winter
>> weekends <g>

> 24HSHD?
>
> 10 PC network/ 10 OS?
>
> Me

That's not a hobby - that's an obsession <g>

Mara

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:59:39 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> why? spewed forth:

<snip>
>> 24HSHD?
>>
>> 10 PC network/ 10 OS?
>>
>> Me

> That's not a hobby - that's an obsession <g>

Ewwwwwwwww. <g>

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) eIsaidso.com,
Mara spewed forth:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:59:39 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> why? spewed forth:

> <snip>
>>> 24HSHD?
>>>
>>> 10 PC network/ 10 OS?
>>>
>>> Me

>> That's not a hobby - that's an obsession <g>

> Ewwwwwwwww. <g>

Heh - heh - my point exactly ;o)

why?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:49:11 -0600, Mara wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:21:05 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
>wrote:

Only 2 of thes on site AFAIK, maybe if I see something in my Google
travels

>Everything I have is TCP/IP, AFAICS. We have quite a few printers, but only two
>that do this - a 4200n and a 4300n. I don't consider it much of an issue since a
>simple reboot restores the connection, but there are a few people who don't like
>to take the minute or two it takes to reboot.
>

>>Spotted this using a packet sniffer.

>Good idea. Ethereal?

Yes, I also have the costly NAI Sniffer Pro. It does a lot of nice
things , it's used in conjunction with Ethereal. Filtering / Captures /
Monitoring with Sniffer Pro and analysis with Ethereal.

<snip>

>>Ah big Cisco's lots of fun. Can't promise anything, what models?

>I don't even know that. They're locked up in a closet in the CFO's office, and I
>don't have access to it. Yet.
>
>Nice way to run a network, eh?

Yes.

I don't recall having to discover Cisco kit under that type of setup.

Doh , now it's suggestions ,as it's always easier to be there and see
what can be seen

If you have a sniffer and CDP on the Cisco's is enabled you should see
CDP packets.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk96...801aa000.shtml
when access is provided to the device command prompts then the info on
the URL above to display neighbour devices is very handy.

Check the Kiwi Cat Tools ,
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/
the free version isn't up to much but if it has the report option you
can scan a range of IPs and see if it detects the Cisco kit. Could
depend if you know the SNMP community strings.

Manuals and Help
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help_index.htm#online_help
Look for Reporting Version Tables

><snipped immensely valuable stuff>
>
>Archived! Thanks. You'll never know how much I appreciate this.

Y.W.

Me

why?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:59:39 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>why? spewed forth:
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:31:01 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>>> why? spewed forth:
>>>>

>>> Good thing to do - relaxing. During the spring, summer and fall, I
>>> spend a

>> Hayfever
>>
>>> good bit of time in the yard/garden. That helps me relax and get
>>> over the shitty work week. But this time of year, all is mud and
>>> dead. Maybe I need to pick up some indoor hobby for the winter
>>> weekends <g>

>> 24HSHD?
>>
>> 10 PC network/ 10 OS?
>>
>> Me

>That's not a hobby - that's an obsession <g>

I am in trouble then, what's this count as?

Windows 2000 Pro Tower , 1Gbps LAN.
Windows NT4 Server Tower, 1 Gbps LAN.

AMD 64 - multiboot , Win XP32bit , Win XP64bit, Vista 64bit, Windows
2003 Server x64, at one time also Linux x64 , 1Gbps LAN.

On various 10/100 Mbps bits of the LAN

Solaris 9 x86 Desktop
Windows 2000 Laptop
Windows 98 Laptop

Windows XP Wireless, Wireless Router, Wireless AP.

8 port repeater, 4 port wired 10/100 router, 4 port Gbps switch.

Windows 2000 Pro Tower in another room.

There are a couple of old Digital PCs, most likely DOS, Win 98 or so and
Win NT Workstation or Linux at random times.

I think that's about it, IIRC the Olivetti 486/33 12MB RAM still works
that was DOS and Windows 3.11.

I did throw out a 8088 4.77Mhz dual 360K floppy, 10MB hardcard out a few
years ago.

Almost forgot the Cisco firewall , dedicated to one of the laptops for
VPN.

Oh! I have cleared out varios hardisks and partitions totalling 120 or
maybe 160GB , sometime last year.

Me

Mara

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:12:14 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:49:11 -0600, Mara wrote:

<snip>
>>Good idea. Ethereal?

>Yes, I also have the costly NAI Sniffer Pro. It does a lot of nice
>things , it's used in conjunction with Ethereal. Filtering / Captures /
>Monitoring with Sniffer Pro and analysis with Ethereal.

With my budget constraints I pretty much can't buy anything, at least until I
can get *some* kind of server backup going. No one but me realizes or cares that
if that server goes down our whole network is toast, and I have *nothing* to fix
it with, no parts, no backup server, no images, nothing.

I'd like to get my hands on the guy that put this together. Just for a few
minutes.

><snip>
>
>>>Ah big Cisco's lots of fun. Can't promise anything, what models?

>>I don't even know that. They're locked up in a closet in the CFO's office, and I
>>don't have access to it. Yet.
>>
>>Nice way to run a network, eh?

>Yes.
>
>I don't recall having to discover Cisco kit under that type of setup.

I finally more or less forced my way in there today and got a list. I left it at
work though, and I'm pretty tired (started penetration-testing the network
today, which was actually fun) so I don't remember the specific models; I'll get
the list tomorrow. I remember that there's two Catalysts, a 3Com, and a Cisco
PIX 515e in there. Most of our desktops have the IPs on stickers on them, but
there's nothing in the closet that indicates anything at all - he didn't even
label the cables.

I haven't heard a whole lot of good things about PIXes.

>Doh , now it's suggestions ,as it's always easier to be there and see
>what can be seen

Yes. Although in *this* case I'm not sure even that would help.

>If you have a sniffer and CDP on the Cisco's is enabled you should see
>CDP packets.
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk96...801aa000.shtml
>when access is provided to the device command prompts then the info on
>the URL above to display neighbour devices is very handy.

I'll download Ethereal tomorrow. I have it here, but not at work.

>Check the Kiwi Cat Tools ,
>http://www.kiwisyslog.com/
>the free version isn't up to much but if it has the report option you
>can scan a range of IPs and see if it detects the Cisco kit. Could
>depend if you know the SNMP community strings.
>
>Manuals and Help
>http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help_index.htm#online_help
>Look for Reporting Version Tables
>
>><snipped immensely valuable stuff>
>>
>>Archived! Thanks. You'll never know how much I appreciate this.

>Y.W.

And thanks again. You've been an *immense* help!

--
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.
-- Bruce Schneider

Toolman Tim

>>> 10 PC network/ 10 OS?
>>>
>>> Me

>> That's not a hobby - that's an obsession <g>

> I am in trouble then, what's this count as?
>
> Windows 2000 Pro Tower , 1Gbps LAN.
> Windows NT4 Server Tower, 1 Gbps LAN.
>
> AMD 64 - multiboot , Win XP32bit , Win XP64bit, Vista 64bit, Windows
> 2003 Server x64, at one time also Linux x64 , 1Gbps LAN.
>
> On various 10/100 Mbps bits of the LAN
>
> Solaris 9 x86 Desktop
> Windows 2000 Laptop
> Windows 98 Laptop
>
> Windows XP Wireless, Wireless Router, Wireless AP.
>
> 8 port repeater, 4 port wired 10/100 router, 4 port Gbps switch.
>
> Windows 2000 Pro Tower in another room.
>
> There are a couple of old Digital PCs, most likely DOS, Win 98 or so
> and Win NT Workstation or Linux at random times.
>
> I think that's about it, IIRC the Olivetti 486/33 12MB RAM still works
> that was DOS and Windows 3.11.
>
> I did throw out a 8088 4.77Mhz dual 360K floppy, 10MB hardcard out a
> few years ago.
>
> Almost forgot the Cisco firewall , dedicated to one of the laptops for
> VPN.
>

> Oh! I have cleared out varios hardisks and partitions totalling 120 or
> maybe 160GB , sometime last year.
>
> Me

Heh heh! I've simplified here. The little Athlon laptop, a P4 desktop (with
two printers/scanner), and about a dozen misc. old PCs that I have to figure
out how to get rid of (running from a P150 to a PIII 1GHz - mostly in the
200 to 400 MHz range though.)