Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > how to see what largest files are on disk?

how to see what largest files are on disk?

licknlabia

stop trying to reinvent the ****ing wheel and use tools available to you.

treesize professional, cheap, and does everything you ask for.

- rg

"pheonix1t" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sm08b.116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
hello,
How can I tell what are the largest files on a disk or partition on
windows 2000 server? (even 2003). On unix/linux, you can use the du
(disk usage) command and then sort it by size, even output it to a file
if you want. I would like something scriptable - I have lots of win2k
servers that have mystery files on them. No documentation, so I have to
start from scratch. I intend to write a script that will determine the
file size (per disk) for each server and output the results (sorted by
size) to a file. Later on, I can put those results in a spread sheet
for easier analysis.
It's not that hard to do this on unix/linux....I've looked on the help
files and all over win2k reference books, but I can't find a command
line tool that does this. I can't sit at each server with windows
explorer poking around each folder - that's is just NOT acceptable.

Thanks,
Oskar

licknlabia

Everyone

Stop trying to reinvent the frickin wheel and use tools available to you.

treesize professional, cheap, and does everything you ask for and more
including pretty graphs to show mgmt types.

our job is to use all tools available, so stop wasting time trying to figure
out how to write a batch file or program that is already out there, saves
you time, unless you are trying to impress your boss.

- rg

"Kendal Emery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
dir /l

it lists the directory in long format, which also gives the size of any
file.

Also if you do a dir /? it will tell you all the options for the dir
command, including one to sort the listing by size. Hope that helps.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"pheonix1t" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sm08b.116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> hello,
> How can I tell what are the largest files on a disk or partition on
> windows 2000 server? (even 2003). On unix/linux, you can use the du
> (disk usage) command and then sort it by size, even output it to a file
> if you want. I would like something scriptable - I have lots of win2k
> servers that have mystery files on them. No documentation, so I have to
> start from scratch. I intend to write a script that will determine the
> file size (per disk) for each server and output the results (sorted by
> size) to a file. Later on, I can put those results in a spread sheet
> for easier analysis.
> It's not that hard to do this on unix/linux....I've looked on the help
> files and all over win2k reference books, but I can't find a command
> line tool that does this. I can't sit at each server with windows
> explorer poking around each folder - that's is just NOT acceptable.
>

> Thanks,
> Oskar

pheonix1t

Kendal Emery wrote:

>>that's cool...so I ran from a c: prompt
>>dir /S /O-S > dump.txt
>>but this gave me only the info. on the c drive. What about other drives
>>or partitions? Do I have to write the script telling it to look for the
>>other partitions? So, I still have to visit each machine to see how
>>many drives/partitions it has?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Oskar
>>

> There is probably an easier way, but if you know the partitions, and the
> network drives you want.....
> Map the drives to your system....
> write a simple batch program that does the following
>
> dir c: /S /O-S > dump.txt
> dir d: /S /O-S >> dump.txt
> etc....
>
> the double >> tells it to add that information to the end of the file.
>
> You could also put information in before each drive as
>
> echo "This is drive d:" >> dump.txt
>
> And a message to licknlabia, yes it may be re-inventing the wheel to you,
> but some of us can't even spend 50 cents without a two month approval
> process. So it is nice to be able to figure out how to do some things
> yourself.....

Kendal,
thank you very much for your well regarded advice. To labia and the
others, gui tools are NOT acceptable in this place (mostly unix/linux
shop). Everything has to be scriptable, this is a large place....and if
done right, scripting or "batch files", as you guys call it in the
windows world, IS making use of the tools you already have! In my
opinion this is a much better approach to this problem instead of going
and buying some gui tool. You can write a custom script and save it for
next time.....then you don't have to go through this again! Next time,
it's just a few clicks away.

Again, thank you for your time Kendal!