Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Added RAM in Hibernate Mode: fried computer?

Added RAM in Hibernate Mode: fried computer?

5ttt

I did a stupid thing yesterday. I usually press the power button that
send the comptuer to hibernate mode. Not thinking I did that
instead of powering off and then added a stick of ram. I assume the
power is not totally off in this mode, even though it sound like there
is nothing running.

Now when I power up the keyboard responds if I hit delete. but if I
let it boot up it gives me two options ( I don't remember the wording)
one is to try to restore the last boot or to do a clean reboot. But
the problem is at this point the keyboard does not respond. I hoock
up that hard drive to a spare computer I have and the hd data is all
there. I can get into the bios and the ram read fine. I even tried
to F8 safe mode, but the keyboard would not respont. Does this sound
like I fried my mother board? What else can I try. Thanks

Noel Paton

"5ttt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I did a stupid thing yesterday. I usually press the power button that
> send the comptuer to hibernate mode. Not thinking I did that
> instead of powering off and then added a stick of ram. I assume the
> power is not totally off in this mode, even though it sound like there
> is nothing running.
>
> Now when I power up the keyboard responds if I hit delete. but if I
> let it boot up it gives me two options ( I don't remember the wording)
> one is to try to restore the last boot or to do a clean reboot. But
> the problem is at this point the keyboard does not respond. I hoock
> up that hard drive to a spare computer I have and the hd data is all
> there. I can get into the bios and the ram read fine. I even tried
> to F8 safe mode, but the keyboard would not respont. Does this sound
> like I fried my mother board? What else can I try. Thanks

Remove the RAM and try a reboot
Remove the batteries for an hour - unplug from the mains - and try a reboot

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

5ttt

I forgot to mention I got the same error message when I unpluged the
extra new ram chip.
This is an Athalon 3000 desktop system, 512ram, 80 gig hd, win 2000 (2
partitions). Will not give me the option to boot up to the second
partition.

5ttt

Also, if I can't find the exact same motherboard (A7X8X-X), will I have
to re install the hard drive from scatch?

Noel Paton

"5ttt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I forgot to mention I got the same error message when I unpluged the
> extra new ram chip.
> This is an Athalon 3000 desktop system, 512ram, 80 gig hd, win 2000 (2
> partitions). Will not give me the option to boot up to the second
> partition.

In that case power down the system and unplug it for an hour - then power
up - go into the BIOS and make sure that recognises the current RAM
configuration (you may need to turn off any BIOS AV setting). Also make sure
that the USB Legacy settings are switched ON (if you're using a USB keyboard
or mouse) which should allow the keyboard to work properly.

When you say it won't allow boot to the second partition - do you mean that
you have Win2K installed as a dual-boot with itself? if not, then there's no
way that the system would boot to it anyhow.

It's also possible that you simply dislodged something in the case when you
originally installed the new RAM - check all connectors, etc are properly
seated.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

lbbss

thanks for your help. I partially booted my hd on my spare system.
Now that I plugged it back in the original system, it magically works,
even with the new ram it works. I also reset the bios to default
settings. I am not sure what did it, but it all works. So is there
power still running that all the hardware during hibernate? If so,
how come it did not fry my system? What do you think happened?
thanks.

p.s. yes I have a dual boot sytem, both are win 2k.

lbbss

PuppyKatt

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> thanks for your help. I partially booted my hd on my spare system.
> Now that I plugged it back in the original system, it magically works,
> even with the new ram it works. I also reset the bios to default
> settings. I am not sure what did it, but it all works. So is there
> power still running that all the hardware during hibernate? If so,
> how come it did not fry my system? What do you think happened?

More luck than brains.

> thanks.
>
> p.s. yes I have a dual boot sytem, both are win 2k.

If the same OS, then why a dual boot?

> lbbss

PuppyKatt

Why the name changes; 5ttt and ibbss?

"5ttt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Also, if I can't find the exact same motherboard (A7X8X-X), will I have
> to re install the hard drive from scatch?

Noel Paton

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> thanks for your help. I partially booted my hd on my spare system.
> Now that I plugged it back in the original system, it magically works,
> even with the new ram it works. I also reset the bios to default
> settings. I am not sure what did it, but it all works. So is there
> power still running that all the hardware during hibernate? If so,
> how come it did not fry my system? What do you think happened?
> thanks.
>
> p.s. yes I have a dual boot sytem, both are win 2k.

During hibernation, the system powers down to a minimal state - just enough
to maintain electrical awareness. The exact level depends on the
motherboard, OS and settings.
You would seem to have got lucky this time, and got away with what sounds
like only a corrupted disk (which booting to another OS allowed that OS to
fix on-the-fly - one of the benefits of NTFS, supposedly).

Don't even think of doing it again - you almost certainly won't get that
lucky again!