Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > GURU HELP NEEDED!!! "Physical dump to memory"

GURU HELP NEEDED!!! "Physical dump to memory"

This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.
After purchase I fdisk'd it, installed W XP Pro and all the drivers. It's
now about three months past warranty, of course. Protection is by Avast,
Kerio, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, HijackThis, RegistryMechanic,
Rootkit Revealer (though I have little clue!), and online checks -- with
very few problems ever found.

It's run fine for a year as a desktop replacement, going from office to
home, with excellent reliability and speed, with an HP expansion base at
each end. Never overheated, never dropped, no spills, etc. Recently it's
begun showing a blue screen, unpredictably - I have no idea what might
trigger it. Here's what's displayed:

******************************
CAUSED BY WIN32K.SYS
then...
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

then...
a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x

then...
***WIN32K.SYS
ADDRESS BF80D405
BASE AT BF800000
DATESTAMP 43446a58

DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
*******************************
It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.

I am NOT certain that the problem is the same each time, but today I wrote
it down.

HELP!!!!

old jon

"E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:8WqGf.14248$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.

snipped
> then...
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
> then...
> a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
>
> then...
> ***WIN32K.SYS
> ADDRESS BF80D405
> BASE AT BF800000
> DATESTAMP 43446a58
>
> DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
> *******************************
> It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.

The best place to get a response to your question is MS Knowledge base,
Here are some more places to try. Error msg numbers are a great help.
So jot them down on paper.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...GED_AREA&meta=

--
bw..OJ

Walter Mautner

E wrote:

> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=335

Not that it gives a final solution, but it spots possible causes.

> then...
> a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
>
> then...
> ***WIN32K.SYS
> ADDRESS BF80D405
> BASE AT BF800000
> DATESTAMP 43446a58
>
> DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
> *******************************
> It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.

Dumping 1.25Gig of RAM (if you really specified a "full dump" in your system
settings) should not take such long - even a laptop drive usually does
15MB/sec, which would give considerably less than 2 minutes. I assume the
health of your laptop harddrive is questionable.
I had issues where mysterious program errors occured just because of b0rken
executables due to dying harddrives.
Get some diagnosis tool (laptop or harddrive vendors websites, or knoppix)
and check out.
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

why?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:40:11 -0800, E wrote:

>This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.

<snip>

>begun showing a blue screen, unpredictably - I have no idea what might
>trigger it. Here's what's displayed:
>
>******************************
>CAUSED BY WIN32K.SYS
>then...
>PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
>then...
>a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
>
>then...
>***WIN32K.SYS

<snip>

>It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.
>
>I am NOT certain that the problem is the same each time, but today I wrote
>it down.

Not all of it.

Since I can't be bothered to look for you, in past posts, an easy search
is http://images.google.com , 'xp bsod' gives this
http://www.remont-pc.ru/images/ntfs/blue_s1.gif , which is just what is
in 24HSHD past posts already.

After the STOP the first and even 2nd numbers are important.

>HELP!!!!

Similar posts in 24HSHD contain lots of links to this type of message
and quite a number of sites with fault finding steps.

Search,

Not forgetting the MS Knowledgebase site, oddly enough as XP is a MS
product.

WIN32K.SYS , ERD Commander www.winternals.com , used at work for this
type of thing IIRC.

Otherwise, a rebuild remembering to have all device drivers , security
apps , other apps, data / mail backed up, passwords and other info ISP
setup etc. all available.

Me

Shepİ

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:40:11 -0800 One man come in the name of truth
"E" <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.
>After purchase I fdisk'd it, installed W XP Pro and all the drivers. It's
>now about three months past warranty, of course. Protection is by Avast,
>Kerio, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, HijackThis, RegistryMechanic,
>Rootkit Revealer (though I have little clue!), and online checks -- with
>very few problems ever found.
>
>It's run fine for a year as a desktop replacement, going from office to
>home, with excellent reliability and speed, with an HP expansion base at
>each end. Never overheated, never dropped, no spills, etc. Recently it's
>begun showing a blue screen, unpredictably - I have no idea what might
>trigger it. Here's what's displayed:
>
>******************************
>CAUSED BY WIN32K.SYS
>then...
>PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
>then...
>a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
>
>then...
>***WIN32K.SYS
>ADDRESS BF80D405
>BASE AT BF800000
>DATESTAMP 43446a58
>
>DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
>*******************************
>It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.
>
>I am NOT certain that the problem is the same each time, but today I wrote
>it down.
>
>HELP!!!!

I would suspect a faulty RAM module or dirty faulty slot.Remove and
clean the edges of the ram with some clear alcohol and tissue or an
eraser and re-insert.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,