Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AMD Sempron 3100

AMD Sempron 3100

moses

Win XP

My PC is now running an AMD XP 1.9 CPU.
If I purchase a AMD semprom 3100 with a new MB to
run it will I experience enough difference in speed to
make it worth the expenditure of about $100.00.
I would certainly admire a dramatic speed up of
this pc for the money.

Tony

"moses" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Win XP
>
> My PC is now running an AMD XP 1.9 CPU.
> If I purchase a AMD semprom 3100 with a new MB to
> run it will I experience enough difference in speed to
> make it worth the expenditure of about $100.00.
> I would certainly admire a dramatic speed up of
> this pc for the money.

Probably not but it depends what motherboard you have at the moment, the
chip set, if you have on board graphics/sound, amount of memory, speed of
memory, type and speed of hard drive.

I went from an XP2000 to and XP3000 (just a CPU swap on the same
motherboard) and didn't notice a lot of difference.

PC

"moses" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Win XP
>
> My PC is now running an AMD XP 1.9 CPU.
> If I purchase a AMD semprom 3100 with a new MB to
> run it will I experience enough difference in speed to
> make it worth the expenditure of about $100.00.
> I would certainly admire a dramatic speed up of
> this pc for the money.

Moses

Best bang for buck at the moment is something like a Athlon64 3000+ or
perhaps a Anthlon 64 3500+ (Venice core) and an Nforce 4 motherboard. Do
check your Power supply as you will need at least 350W depending on the
number of drives and peripherals the PC is supporting, and you may need to
check your RAM will work at the new motherboards speeds.

As a general rule however piecemeal upgrades don't give good return on
investment. The need to reuse the maximum number of current components means
the 'upgrade' components are often not the 'sweet spot' or 'bang for buck'
bits one should buy.
As 'Tony' commented in his post going from a XP2000 to an XP3000 didn't
improve things 'drasically'.

Perhaps the more 'logical' path would be to put up with what you have and
put the $100 towards a complete new box which will have all the other
'incrementally faster/bigger' components to match (SATA drives, bigger PS,
more USB/Firewire ports, better DVD burner etc)

Just my 2c
Paul.

antwine

Tony/PC:
Thanks to both of you for your cogent and prompt
response(s). I'll take your advice, hold off for awhile.
"moses" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Win XP
>
> My PC is now running an AMD XP 1.9 CPU.
> If I purchase a AMD semprom 3100 with a new MB to
> run it will I experience enough difference in speed to
> make it worth the expenditure of about $100.00.
> I would certainly admire a dramatic speed up of
> this pc for the money.

neville

"moses" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:yjOFf.25074$jR.20816@fed1read01:

> Win XP
>
> My PC is now running an AMD XP 1.9 CPU.
> If I purchase a AMD semprom 3100 with a new MB to
> run it will I experience enough difference in speed to
> make it worth the expenditure of about $100.00.
> I would certainly admire a dramatic speed up of
> this pc for the money.

No, Semprons SUCK. Buy a an Athlon 64 instead.