Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help 16xDVD Burner still stuck burning at 4x

Help 16xDVD Burner still stuck burning at 4x

joevan

I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
someone here can point me in the right direction.

My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads

I am using XP 512 meg of ram.
and for the same reason."

::Your Name Here::

joevan wrote:
> I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
> I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
> shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
> disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
> As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
> I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
> someone here can point me in the right direction.
>
> My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
> PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
>

> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

What speed media are you using?

joevan

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:47:52 +1100, ::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
>> I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
>> shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
>> disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
>> As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
>> I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
>> someone here can point me in the right direction.
>>
>> My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
>> PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
>> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
>>

>> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

>What speed media are you using?

16 x DV -R TDK
and for the same reason."

Noel Paton

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
> I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
> shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
> disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
> As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
> I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
> someone here can point me in the right direction.
>
> My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
> PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
>

> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

What speed Media are you using?
How much of the CPU is in use when burning?
How much VM is in use?
How big are the files you're burning?
Are the files you're burning on the HD or are you copying another CD/DVD?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

p-nut

joevan wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:47:52 +1100, ::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
> Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> wrote:
>
>> joevan wrote:
>>> I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
>>> I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
>>> shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
>>> disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
>>> As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
>>> I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
>>> someone here can point me in the right direction.
>>>
>>> My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
>>> PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
>>> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
>>>

>>> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

>> What speed media are you using?

> 16 x DV -R TDK

Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x TDK
media.
Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades add
support for you 16x media.
If so then upgrade it.

joevan

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:32:51 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:47:52 +1100, ::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
>> Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> wrote:

>>> What speed media are you using?

>> 16 x DV -R TDK

>Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x TDK
>media.
>Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades add
>support for you 16x media.
>If so then upgrade it.

Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
I did that before I posted this request for help.
Is that not clear in my original post?
Or do you mean something else?
and for the same reason."

Noel Paton

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:32:51 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:

>>> 16 x DV -R TDK

>>Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x TDK
>>media.
>>Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades add
>>support for you 16x media.
>>If so then upgrade it.
>>

> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
> I did that before I posted this request for help.
> Is that not clear in my original post?
> Or do you mean something else?

Which firmware version is actually installed? - you would seem to need
version 118. (and no, it's not clear from your original post)

--

joevan wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:32:51 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> joevan wrote:

>>> 16 x DV -R TDK

>> Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x
>> TDK media.
>> Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades
>> add support for you 16x media.
>> If so then upgrade it.
>>

> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
> I did that before I posted this request for help.
> Is that not clear in my original post?
> Or do you mean something else?

Sorry, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.
Have you tried other 16x media?
I've had some 8X Maxell media that would only burn at 4x before.

Trax

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
|>I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
|>shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
|>disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
|>As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
|>I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
|>someone here can point me in the right direction.
|>
|>My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
|>PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
|>Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
|>

|> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

In a different angle, do you play many games? Sounds something that
Starforce might do; a copy protection that will degrade CD Speeds.

Boycott Starforce
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

Digg.com
http://digg.com/search?search=Starforce&submit=Submit

--
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

joevan

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:41:26 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>joevan wrote:

>>> Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x
>>> TDK media.
>>> Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades
>>> add support for you 16x media.
>>> If so then upgrade it.
>>>

>> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
>> I did that before I posted this request for help.
>> Is that not clear in my original post?
>> Or do you mean something else?

>Sorry, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.
>Have you tried other 16x media?
>I've had some 8X Maxell media that would only burn at 4x before.

Hey, no problem, I may have helped things but I will wait until I have
a bit of stuff that needs burning. I will get back when I know more.
This may have been happening for a while but I had attributed it to
some on sale hp dvd+r that said 8x and was only burning at 4x.
Someone later than you post asked about gaming and my answer is not.
Later and thanks for getting back to me.
and for the same reason."