Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Admin Account Locked

Admin Account Locked

*****General

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:05:34 GMT, *****General wrote:
>

>>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
>
>>> But, if you want to play the "Oh look at me - how super duper I am, I
>>> can't be bothered with XP, I run a SERVER OS (as DESKTOP?????) then you
>>> can take the consequences when you use something you don't know much
>>> about.

>>I did take it and I solved it too. The only mistake I made was coming in
>>here expecting a working solution.
>>
>>Oh and the bit about not knowing much about it, my Win 2K and 2K3 MCSE
>>qualifications would suggest otherwise.

> Not that I have seen, the technical designers with those qualifications
> are useless. That's many different companies and over many years.
>
> The paper looks good the real life know how isn't.
>
> As mentioned, in this thread and before ,
> Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert!

I don't argue with being MinesweeperConsultant and Solitaire Expert but the
bottom line is most companies would rather hire me with those qualifications
than without.

Degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on because they deal in the
theory rather than the practical. The bed-room coders and home geniuses deal
with the practical rather than the theory but don't have the real world
experience. That is why these qualifications on the surface pay well. You
don't need to be a hardcore PC geek, neither do you need to be student
flunky. But you get the best of both worlds. I am definitely not
complaining.

*****General

news:tfej19nxw158$.153ge7zaneae1$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:05:34 GMT, *****General wrote:
>
>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> XP is PERFECTLY adequate for HOME and BUSINESS use - 2003 Server is an
>>> INDUSTRIAL LEVEL server OS and is TOTAL UTTER OVERKILL for home use. No
>>> need to use it AT ALL in a home environment.

>> Did you manage to create a new tree in a forest on XP yet?
>>
>>> But, if you want to play the "Oh look at me - how super duper I am, I
>>> can't be bothered with XP, I run a SERVER OS (as DESKTOP?????) then you
>>> can take the consequences when you use something you don't know much
>>> about.

>> I did take it and I solved it too. The only mistake I made was coming in
>> here expecting a working solution.
>>
>> Oh and the bit about not knowing much about it, my Win 2K and 2K3 MCSE
>> qualifications would suggest otherwise.

> Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert ?
> --

Yep, and I only charge a 'nominal' fee.

why?

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:17:07 GMT, *****General wrote:

>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:05:34 GMT, *****General wrote:
>>

>>>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <snip>

>>>I did take it and I solved it too. The only mistake I made was coming in
>>>here expecting a working solution.
>>>
>>>Oh and the bit about not knowing much about it, my Win 2K and 2K3 MCSE
>>>qualifications would suggest otherwise.

>> Not that I have seen, the technical designers with those qualifications
>> are useless. That's many different companies and over many years.
>>
>> The paper looks good the real life know how isn't.
>>
>> As mentioned, in this thread and before ,
>> Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert!
>>

>I don't argue with being MinesweeperConsultant and Solitaire Expert but the
>bottom line is most companies would rather hire me with those qualifications
>than without.

Mostly true sadly, I don't have any MCSE etc, but those that worked on
Win Servers were allowed / semi forced to do the courses. Thus grade /
and salary rises. What happened with faults, come and see the guy with
the experience and no paper me.

>Degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on because they deal in the
>theory rather than the practical. The bed-room coders and home geniuses deal

My BSc was the burn fingers type on soldering iron, 60% design / build ,
, comms, instrumentation, data tranmission stuff, signals ,
microprocessors it was lots of fun.

>with the practical rather than the theory but don't have the real world
>experience. That is why these qualifications on the surface pay well. You

Too many times, yes.

>don't need to be a hardcore PC geek, neither do you need to be student

Not a PC geek, but PC, Unix, DNS, Networking , Linux , Apps helps.

The main issue with MCSE is it's narrow MS world view, what I have seen
is this causes issues in a mixed OS / hardware environment. Often it's a
- not in the exam guides, not in the books, not in the courses get
someone else to do it.

>flunky. But you get the best of both worlds. I am definitely not
>complaining.

I did about the grades and pay, keeping a record of requests from
everyone, manager was fairly shocked but that as normal didn't help get
any more money, just a better mark on the next review. About 80% of my
work is from other parts of the group, go figure.

Me