Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Admin Account Locked

Admin Account Locked

why?

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:03:07 GMT, Zitty wrote:

>"JP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:i8vFf.7154$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Help. I am pulling my hair out in frustration here. First a little
>> background to the problem:
>>
>> I am running Windows Server 2003 at home and have user accounts set up for
>> all the people in the house. I use the Admin account and the rest of the
>> users aren't given Admin priveleges. Also my Dell Dimension PC does not
>> have a floppy drive so solutions using a bootable floppy are out of the
>> equation.
>>
>> Now the actual problem:
>>
>> The Admin account has been locked for getting the password wrong 3 times
>> and there is no timer set to reset the counter.

>3 times?? What sort of stupid OS locks out admin users after just 3 wrong
>password attempts?

I know it's MS

O don't know if it was alwas like that, I know it can't be deleted or
moved out of the admin group.

It also depends if it's a Domain Controller, in Win Server 2003 , the
administrator account when disabled, can be used in safe mode.

Then again the OP , can always set the account lockout settings,
including setting it to 0, so failed attempts don't lock an account.

Me

JP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:14:55 GMT, JP wrote:
>

>>"jda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:49:40 GMT, JP came up with this fine idea in
>>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> If you do not have Nero Burnrights
>>> http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/Nero_BurnRights.html it does. But you
>>> cannot
>>> install that without admin rights so does not help you much
>>>
>>> --

>>I can't install anything wothout Admin rights. Talk about Catch-22.

> Some links mentioned before in 24HSHD
> http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm

That is the same link that I gave earlier, from which i got the ISO image
which doesn't work.

> http://www.sysinternals.com ,

Nothing of use here.

> maybe it's the commercial tools section
> which is http://www.winternals.com/ the emergency tools pack, with a
> password unlock app.
> http://www.winternals.com/Products/A...d/Default.aspx

$500 for a program that won't still install without Admin rights anyway? I
hyave ordered thier Evaluation CD though, don't know if it will help as it
will take up to 14 working days to arrive and that is way too late. This
problem must be resolved quicker than that one way or another.

> and some maybe not, mentioned..
> http://www.jms1.net/nt-unlock.shtml

That looks promising. I've downloaded it and will be going to burn it on to
CD in the next few hours. Will let you know how it goes.

JP

news:17ms9400m6i97$.1klo969isao5a$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:14:00 GMT, JP wrote:
>
>> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> OK, when you burnt the cd did you burn it as an image or just burn the
>>> file
>>> you downloaded to disk?
>>> --

>> I opened Nero 6 Enterprise Edition. Selected the 'CD_ROM (ISO)' option
>> and
>> added the ISO file to the CD then burnt it. As far as I know that is how
>> burn an image on to a CD.

> OK. I downloaded the "cd.iso" from the loginrecovery site and burned it to
> cd using Nero 5.5.10.9 (bundled version)
>
> File > burn image > browse to select image > burn
>
> If you simply burned the iso to cd you only have a copy of the iso on cd.
>
> The CD booted just fine on Windows2k and WindowsXP-Pro boxes. Suggest you
> download the cd.zip file again, unzip it to cd.iso and try again

I will try to do it your way in the next few hours. Will let you know how it
goes.

Whiskers

On 2006-02-06, JP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> I did not forget the Admin password. The Admin password has been locked out
> for getting it wrong 3 times. This was not by me but another user (my mum in
> fact). She is not very technical and tried logging in with her password but
> forgot to change the Username from Admin to her name. She kept trying to log
> in and locked the Admin account. i still know what the password is so if
> there is a way to just unlock the Admin account then I could still log in. I
> don't necessarily need to reset the Admin passowrd.

When you get this sorted out, make sure that 'Admin' is not one of the
users listed at the 'user login'. You should only ever use Admin when you
/have/ to do something that cannot be done by a normal user - so give
yourself a 'normal user' account like everyone else, for normal purposes.

A little light googling reveals this site
<http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm> which looks as
though it may contain useful ideas (even though in your case you haven't
technically 'forgotten' the password, the system is convinced that you
have), and this one
<http://www.etomite.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3099> which at least
confirms that you are not the first person to fall into this particular
Microsoft feature.

Of course, Microsoft might just possibly have some idea how to make the
product actually work ...

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

why?

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:46:58 GMT, JP wrote:

>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> JP wrote:
>>> "jda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>>> ...and it is. I contemplated 5 as the limit but even that wouldn't have
>>> helped me in this situaution.
>>>

>> I have to say, that if you think you are competent enough to run Windows
>> 2003 server at home, then the fact that you have "forgotten" the Admin
>> password does NOT reflect very well on your supposed competence.

>I did not forget the Admin password. The Admin password has been locked out
>for getting it wrong 3 times. This was not by me but another user (my mum in
>fact). She is not very technical and tried logging in with her password but
>forgot to change the Username from Admin to her name. She kept trying to log

<snip>

Then use the registry edit to blank the last username, after you get
back in or the setting in policy that does the samething.

Me

why?

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:52:24 GMT, JP wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:14:55 GMT, JP wrote:
>>

>>>"jda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I can't install anything wothout Admin rights. Talk about Catch-22.

>> Some links mentioned before in 24HSHD
>> http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm

>That is the same link that I gave earlier, from which i got the ISO image
>which doesn't work.

My ISP is missing posts, for several days , groan.

>> http://www.sysinternals.com ,

>Nothing of use here.
>
>> maybe it's the commercial tools section
>> which is http://www.winternals.com/ the emergency tools pack, with a
>> password unlock app.
>> http://www.winternals.com/Products/A...d/Default.aspx

The version I have seen boots from CD.

>$500 for a program that won't still install without Admin rights anyway? I

Well it is good They used to sell LockSmith as a standalone product.

<snip>
>> and some maybe not, mentioned..
>> http://www.jms1.net/nt-unlock.shtml
>>

>That looks promising. I've downloaded it and will be going to burn it on to
>CD in the next few hours. Will let you know how it goes.

OK.

Me

Steve

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:28:30 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> JP wrote:
>> "jda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:03:07 GMT, Zitty came up with this fine idea in
>>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> wk3 does if it's set up that way
>>> --

>> ...and it is. I contemplated 5 as the limit but even that wouldn't have
>> helped me in this situaution.
>>

> I have to say, that if you think you are competent enough to run Windows
> 2003 server at home, then the fact that you have "forgotten" the Admin
> password does NOT reflect very well on your supposed competence.

What is wrong with some one trying out an OS and asking for help when they
get stuck? Surely thats the best way to learn.
--
Steve
?wollof ot drah yllaer sdaerht sekam gnitsop-pot taht erawa uoy ereW

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Steve wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:28:30 +0000, Gordon wrote:
>

>>JP wrote:
>>
>>>"jda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>...and it is. I contemplated 5 as the limit but even that wouldn't have
>>>helped me in this situaution.
>>>

>>I have to say, that if you think you are competent enough to run Windows
>>2003 server at home, then the fact that you have "forgotten" the Admin
>>password does NOT reflect very well on your supposed competence.

> What is wrong with some one trying out an OS and asking for help when they
> get stuck? Surely thats the best way to learn.

I doubt that the OP will set up a system without a second admin account,
or equivalent, again...

"Competence" isn't an absolute - different environments demand
different levels of skills and experience to set up a system. If you are
very lucky, you are the only one that knows that you have learnt from
your mistakes...

--
Sue

--
Sue

Gordon

Palindr?me wrote:
> Steve wrote:

>>> I have to say, that if you think you are competent enough to run
>>> Windows 2003 server at home, then the fact that you have
>>> "forgotten" the Admin password does NOT reflect very well on your
>>> supposed competence.

>> What is wrong with some one trying out an OS and asking for help
>> when they get stuck? Surely thats the best way to learn.

> I doubt that the OP will set up a system without a second admin
> account, or equivalent, again...
>
> "Competence" isn't an absolute - different environments demand
> different levels of skills and experience to set up a system. If you
> are very lucky, you are the only one that knows that you have learnt
> from your mistakes...
>
> --
> Sue

And why run server 2003 at *home* if you or your users are going to f*ck up
when XP would have been perfectly adequate?

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Gordon wrote:
> Palindr?me wrote:
>
>>Steve wrote:

>>>What is wrong with some one trying out an OS and asking for help
>>>when they get stuck? Surely thats the best way to learn.

>>I doubt that the OP will set up a system without a second admin
>>account, or equivalent, again...
>>
>>"Competence" isn't an absolute - different environments demand
>>different levels of skills and experience to set up a system. If you
>>are very lucky, you are the only one that knows that you have learnt
>>from your mistakes...
>>
>>--
>>Sue

> And why run server 2003 at *home* if you or your users are going to f*ck up
> when XP would have been perfectly adequate?

You would have to ask the OP.

As for me, I might if I had to install or support such a system
elsewhere. You can only learn so much from books and courses. And giving
telephone support is much easier if you are at the keyboard of a
machine running the same stuff. I am supporting GEM through to XP and
can never remember all the menus for all of them - but the guy the other
end never allows for that.

--
Sue