Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OS wont boot on my SATA hard drive. . . .

OS wont boot on my SATA hard drive. . . .

Boaby

Hello, folks.

I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
can only summarize two things.

1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.

2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?

How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted
computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.

The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
fix the problem.

If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Noel Paton

You should be able to get to the recovery console from a CD boot - make sure
that you have the SATA driver floppy handy! (you may not need it if the SATA
is configured to run in IDE Emulation mode)
when there, type the command

fixboot

then remove the CD, and reboot

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...s_fixboot.mspx

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Boaby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5UjFf.79542$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hello, folks.
>
> I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
> an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
> process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
> can only summarize two things.
>
> 1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do is
> use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.
>
> 2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
> backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
> really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
> has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?
>
> How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using partition
> magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted computer and lo and
> behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared on my screen. Which
> shows you I am a complete newbie to this.
>
> The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
> does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
> fix the problem.
>
> If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
> drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Walter Mautner

Boaby wrote:

> Hello, folks.
>
> I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
> an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
> process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
> can only summarize two things.
>
> 1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
> is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.
>
> 2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
> backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
> really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
> has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?
>
> How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
> partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted
> computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
> on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.

Maybe you should not have used partition magic for that - most recent linux
installs do manage partitioning fairly well, including to preserve a
previously existing windows.

> The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
> does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
> fix the problem.

Boot from the linux install cd in rescue mode, or use knoppix. That way you
may even get your most important data off to a usb stick/drive.
Then come back with the output of "fdisk -l" and the contents of your
boot.ini from windows (you can read it from linux). Make sure, your bios is
set to "lba" for the sata harddrive.
Btw., you didn't even yet attempt to install linux, the disaster happened
after partition magic did it's havoc?
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

why?

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:50:57 GMT, Boaby wrote:

>Hello, folks.
>
>I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
>an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
>process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
>can only summarize two things.
>
>1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
>is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.

The MBR is a pointer to the OS to boot. It failed how , didn't work i.e.
wouldn't run or didn't fix the mbr?

Try www.bootdisk.com , there are oftem pointers in past poss to there.

So the Linux bit doesn't boot , you didn't get that far?

>2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
>backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
>really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
>has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?

It's easier not to try and fix this.

>How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
>partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted

Doesn't that have a save / undo action?

>computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
>on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.

It happens. It's easier to

a) Use a Live Linux distro, this boot from CD/DVD and only uses some
temp space on the Windows disk. You don't need to install Linux, and can
see which distro detects and works best with your hardware.

See past posts for the names and opinions on those mentioned.

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...=linux+live+cd

b) keep free space on the disk.

c) add another disk for Linux.

d) for a while until I had spare PC, I didn't use the LILO/Grub loader
but made a boot floppy for Linux, this leaves the Windows / normal MBR
untouched. Do make several spares of the floppy

>The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
>does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
>fix the problem.

Always boot from a IDE disk, configured in the BIOS. This gives an out
to allow system booting. You can put in as many other types of USB /
SATA /SCSI disks as you like after that.

>If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
>drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't bother, more so as you said there is nothing valuable on
there. Otherwise to possibly recover data www.runtime.org and
getdataback for ntfs. Other apps mentioned in past posts.

Then get a good disk imager app.

Me

coal_brona@hotmail.com

Hello,

I recommend you trying Partition Recovery tool to see, if you can bring
lost partitions back. The tool is mighty indeed, it never failed me
before, so it is a really good chance for you. The tool can be found on
a data tools set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk. That set also posses
other really mighty utils for data recovery, erase and backup. You
should definately try it out.

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

why?

On 6 Feb 2006 20:21:19 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Hello,

>Hello,
>

>I recommend you trying Partition Recovery tool to see, if you can bring
>lost partitions back. The tool is mighty indeed, it never failed me

I don't have any missing partitions.

If you are trying to help the OP, you should reply directly to the post
from the OP.

Otherwise you are hoping the OP will read all the posts, including
replies not to them.

<snip>

Me

SJP

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZS5g.2641$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Boaby wrote:
>> Hello, folks.

Kevin is May not June....check the date on your PC

Kevin

Boaby wrote:
> Hello, folks.
>
> I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
> an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
> process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
> can only summarize two things.
>
> 1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
> is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.
>
> 2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
> backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
> really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
> has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?
>
> How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
> partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted
> computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
> on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.
>
> The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
> does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
> fix the problem.
>
> If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
> drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

First I must assume that your system was working properly before you
used the partition magic, if that was the case, I must guessed that you
ma have deleted your system partition.
Now to install lenux on your system reinstall windows ,thn and only then
install Linux. If you have any problem installing any system Just drop
me a link.
Have a good day. and don't wase time waiting around to fix something
on your own, as long as their is no important data on your system go
ahead and try a few things on your own.