Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer recovery with Knoppix

Computer recovery with Knoppix

Au79

I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to be able
to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a Windows machine
and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives, reorganize partitions,
even virus check your machine.

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/...979230/7615/0/

Walter Mautner

Au79 wrote:

> I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to be
> able to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a Windows
> machine and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives, reorganize
> partitions, even virus check your machine.
>
> http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/...979230/7615/0/

And, just for fun, I have a old knoppicillin cd which includes paragon ntfs
drivers. It is commandline-only, but you can beat the crap out of windows
with it .
Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Zitty

"Au79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i1hFf.8728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to be able
> to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a Windows machine
> and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives, reorganize partitions,
> even virus check your machine.

It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to edit or
replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

Gordon

Zitty wrote:
> "Au79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i1hFf.8728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to
>> be able to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a
>> Windows machine and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives,
>> reorganize partitions, even virus check your machine.

> It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to
> edit or replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

True - but you can use it to save all your data to external storage if you
have a borked Window machine.....

olfart

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Zitty wrote:
>> "Au79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i1hFf.8728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to
>>> be able to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a
>>> Windows machine and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives,
>>> reorganize partitions, even virus check your machine.

>> It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to
>> edit or replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

> True - but you can use it to save all your data to external storage if you
> have a borked Window machine.....

BartPE does all of the above without all the Penquin BS

Gordon

olfart wrote:
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Zitty wrote:
>>> "Au79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:i1hFf.8728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to
>>> edit or replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

>> True - but you can use it to save all your data to external storage
>> if you have a borked Window machine.....
>>

> BartPE does all of the above without all the Penquin BS

True - but you have to construct the Bart CD in a reasonably complex
process - a Knoppix download is one iso and burn to CD.....much easier for
the novice.

Flunkett Clogwheel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> olfart wrote:
>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"True - but you have to construct the Bart CD in a reasonably complex
> process - a Knoppix download is one iso and burn to CD.....much easier for
> the novice. "

Any linux distro in the hands of a novice has a potential to be deadly -
thank God it can't write NTFS!!!

Zitty

"Flunkett Clogwheel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iyJFf.24579$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> olfart wrote:
>>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "True - but you have to construct the Bart CD in a reasonably complex
>> process - a Knoppix download is one iso and burn to CD.....much easier
>> for the novice. "

> Any linux distro in the hands of a novice has a potential to be deadly -
> thank God it can't write NTFS!!!

You can have fun with commands like

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda