Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > SSID Broadcast

SSID Broadcast

Darren Li

Hi:

I am using MS Wireless Router.

I have 3 questions:

1. I disable the "Broadcast" inder SSID settings so ppl from outside can not
see my AP. I also setup the SSID (with WEP) connection item under the
wireless network adapter. After I restart my laptop, the wireless network
adapter can not find my MS AP. Why??? I check all the SSID name and WEP
settings, everything looks fine. So I enable the broadcast again and it
works. What I've done wrong?

2. What's the difference between "Open" and "Shared" for network
authentication?

3. After I setup the MAC ID filter. IS the WPS automatically disabled?
(Because I have to manually enter the key.)

Thank you very much.

Darren L.

Carl DaVault [MSFT]

Check out the previous responses to Anna's "xp wireless (" post regarding
hidden SSID's. I recommend that you do not use "shared" authentication or
"hidden" SSID's.

But shared auth and hidden SSID's don't buy much security in the long run
and they can degrade the wireless experience.

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Darren Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
>
> I am using MS Wireless Router.
>
> I have 3 questions:
>
> 1. I disable the "Broadcast" inder SSID settings so ppl from outside can
> not
> see my AP. I also setup the SSID (with WEP) connection item under the
> wireless network adapter. After I restart my laptop, the wireless network
> adapter can not find my MS AP. Why??? I check all the SSID name and WEP
> settings, everything looks fine. So I enable the broadcast again and it
> works. What I've done wrong?
>
> 2. What's the difference between "Open" and "Shared" for network
> authentication?
>
> 3. After I setup the MAC ID filter. IS the WPS automatically disabled?
> (Because I have to manually enter the key.)
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Darren L.

Darren Li

Hi, Carl:

Thanks.

So if I really want hidden SSID, I will need to update my NIC driver.

But as you mentioned, hidden SSID doesn't help much, and windows will
probably connect to neighbor's AP first. So I will probably leave it
visible.

Darren L.

"Carl DaVault [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check out the previous responses to Anna's "xp wireless (" post

regarding
> hidden SSID's. I recommend that you do not use "shared" authentication or
> "hidden" SSID's.
>
> But shared auth and hidden SSID's don't buy much security in the long run
> and they can degrade the wireless experience.
>
> --
> Standard Disclaimers -
> and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly
> to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
>

> "Darren Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am using MS Wireless Router.
> >
> > I have 3 questions:
> >
> > 1. I disable the "Broadcast" inder SSID settings so ppl from outside can
> > not
> > see my AP. I also setup the SSID (with WEP) connection item under the
> > wireless network adapter. After I restart my laptop, the wireless

network
> > adapter can not find my MS AP. Why??? I check all the SSID name and WEP
> > settings, everything looks fine. So I enable the broadcast again and it
> > works. What I've done wrong?
> >
> > 2. What's the difference between "Open" and "Shared" for network
> > authentication?
> >
> > 3. After I setup the MAC ID filter. IS the WPS automatically disabled?
> > (Because I have to manually enter the key.)
> >

> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Darren L.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Hi Darren,

See the following MS KB Article.

Your Computer Connects to an Access Point That Broadcasts Its SSID Instead
of an Access Point That Does Not Broadcast its SSID

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com