Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problems with an ide dvd burner

Problems with an ide dvd burner

Mother's Little Helper

after being told that the adaptec aspi layer was the culprit of my
mysterious reboots and the only way to solve this would be to get the
updated drivers from adaptec, microsoft would not help me at all i did
so...now my drive runs fine by all accounts it just doesn't see cd's
or dvd's of any kind...i have

1. uninstalled and reinstalled the ide chain its on which is the
second ide chain on the motherboard...negative results

2 uninstalled and reinstalled the drive itself...again negative

3. tried to roll back to the earlier driver, nothing was saved so no
rollback was possible

4. tried reinstalling the ide drivers that came with the
motherboard...again negative

I find it very hard to believe my dvd drive would fail right after i
put in a new aspi layer since it worked fine all the time before that

any suggestions?

Swiss Tony

"Mother's Little Helper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> after being told that the adaptec aspi layer was the culprit of my
> mysterious reboots and the only way to solve this would be to get the
> updated drivers from adaptec, microsoft would not help me at all i did
> so...now my drive runs fine by all accounts it just doesn't see cd's
> or dvd's of any kind...i have
>
> 1. uninstalled and reinstalled the ide chain its on which is the
> second ide chain on the motherboard...negative results
>
> 2 uninstalled and reinstalled the drive itself...again negative
>
> 3. tried to roll back to the earlier driver, nothing was saved so no
> rollback was possible
>
> 4. tried reinstalling the ide drivers that came with the
> motherboard...again negative
>
> I find it very hard to believe my dvd drive would fail right after i
> put in a new aspi layer since it worked fine all the time before that
>
> any suggestions?

Try forceaspi.
http://radified.com/Files/ForceASPI_v17.zip
In the zip are a few bat files which you can run.
killASPI - This completely removes your installed ASPI layer.
instASPI - Installs v4.60 ASPI layer.
then run aspichk.exe to confirm that its installed properly

fred-bloggs

Mother's Little Helper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> after being told that the adaptec aspi layer was the culprit of my
> mysterious reboots and the only way to solve this would be to get the
> updated drivers from adaptec, microsoft would not help me at all i did
> so...now my drive runs fine by all accounts it just doesn't see cd's
> or dvd's of any kind...

XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...cd_dvd_fix.htm

--