Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannon PXMA iP6600D Printer - ink cartridge empty warning

Cannon PXMA iP6600D Printer - ink cartridge empty warning

Grandpa Chuck

I took a couple of ink cartridges to one the refill places. They
refilled the black and the yellow and charged me nothing.
You see the cartridges have a chip attached to them. That means the
printer still thinks it is low and at preprogrammed point it tells the
printer it is empty and will not print.

They told me if they find out how to overcome this they will call me.

If they can do it successfully they will charge $6.95 per cartridge as
compared to $16.95 for a new one.

You guessed it. I went out and bought new cartridges. The printer now
says the other four cartridges area all low in ink. I imagine once it
believes they are empty it will no longer print at all. We have
purchased three of them, but that was before the last of the six came
up with the exclamation point and note that says it is low.

We bought this printer in order to save money on ink cartridges
believing they can be refilled. Not much savings if we have to always
buy new ones at a total cost of $101.70 plus 5% sales tax.

Does anyone have any idea how to overcome this glitch so I can have
them refilled and use them?

--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

The following information is given with the utmost respect
for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the
current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of Feb. 02, 2006 is 2,249.
United Kingdom = 101
Other = 103
Iraqi deaths in excess of 30,000
according to President Bush - probably many more.

Oldus Fartus

Grandpa Chuck wrote:
> I took a couple of ink cartridges to one the refill places. They
> refilled the black and the yellow and charged me nothing.
> You see the cartridges have a chip attached to them. That means the
> printer still thinks it is low and at preprogrammed point it tells the
> printer it is empty and will not print.
>
> They told me if they find out how to overcome this they will call me.
>
> If they can do it successfully they will charge $6.95 per cartridge as
> compared to $16.95 for a new one.
>
> You guessed it. I went out and bought new cartridges. The printer now
> says the other four cartridges area all low in ink. I imagine once it
> believes they are empty it will no longer print at all. We have
> purchased three of them, but that was before the last of the six came
> up with the exclamation point and note that says it is low.
>
> We bought this printer in order to save money on ink cartridges
> believing they can be refilled. Not much savings if we have to always
> buy new ones at a total cost of $101.70 plus 5% sales tax.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to overcome this glitch so I can have
> them refilled and use them?

According to
http://www.oddparts.com/ink/Ink_List...n-ip6600-d.htm they
will continue to work OK.

"In general, our customers have found this printer easy to refill, and
particularly good for printing color photographs in moderate volume
(2000-3000 pages per month).

"CL-8 cartridges have a chip. When first refilling, a warning window
comes on the computer, but you may then proceed to use a refilled
cartridge. The ink level display is then disabled. These cartridges
otherwise refill like BCI-3e and BCI-6 cartridges. "

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Grandpa Chuck

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:20:42 +0800, Oldus Fartus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Grandpa Chuck wrote:
>> I took a couple of ink cartridges to one the refill places. They
>> refilled the black and the yellow and charged me nothing.
>> You see the cartridges have a chip attached to them. That means the
>> printer still thinks it is low and at preprogrammed point it tells the
>> printer it is empty and will not print.
>>
>> They told me if they find out how to overcome this they will call me.
>>
>> If they can do it successfully they will charge $6.95 per cartridge as
>> compared to $16.95 for a new one.
>>
>> You guessed it. I went out and bought new cartridges. The printer now
>> says the other four cartridges area all low in ink. I imagine once it
>> believes they are empty it will no longer print at all. We have
>> purchased three of them, but that was before the last of the six came
>> up with the exclamation point and note that says it is low.
>>
>> We bought this printer in order to save money on ink cartridges
>> believing they can be refilled. Not much savings if we have to always
>> buy new ones at a total cost of $101.70 plus 5% sales tax.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea how to overcome this glitch so I can have
>> them refilled and use them?
>>

>According to
>http://www.oddparts.com/ink/Ink_List...n-ip6600-d.htm they
>will continue to work OK.
>
>"In general, our customers have found this printer easy to refill, and
>particularly good for printing color photographs in moderate volume
>(2000-3000 pages per month).
>
>"CL-8 cartridges have a chip. When first refilling, a warning window
>comes on the computer, but you may then proceed to use a refilled
>cartridge. The ink level display is then disabled. These cartridges
>otherwise refill like BCI-3e and BCI-6 cartridges. "

Thank you. When one of them runs out I will have it refilled and see
if I can get it to work. I hope it does.

I bookmarked the website so I can go back to it if I have a problem.

--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

The following information is given with the utmost respect
for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the
current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of Feb. 02, 2006 is 2,249.
United Kingdom = 101
Other = 103
Iraqi deaths in excess of 30,000
according to President Bush - probably many more.

me

"Grandpa Chuck" <Grandpa http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I took a couple of ink cartridges to one the refill places. They
> refilled the black and the yellow and charged me nothing.
> You see the cartridges have a chip attached to them. That means the
> printer still thinks it is low and at preprogrammed point it tells the
> printer it is empty and will not print.
>
> They told me if they find out how to overcome this they will call me.
>
> If they can do it successfully they will charge $6.95 per cartridge as
> compared to $16.95 for a new one.
>
> You guessed it. I went out and bought new cartridges. The printer now
> says the other four cartridges area all low in ink. I imagine once it
> believes they are empty it will no longer print at all. We have
> purchased three of them, but that was before the last of the six came
> up with the exclamation point and note that says it is low.
>
> We bought this printer in order to save money on ink cartridges
> believing they can be refilled. Not much savings if we have to always
> buy new ones at a total cost of $101.70 plus 5% sales tax.

Surely you can get them cheaper than that if you look around.For example ,i
think these are compatible :
http://www.supermediastore.com/canon...cartridge.html
or
http://www.provantage.com/cl-8-ink-tanks~220150987.htm

Should cost you a fraction of what you stated above.

Also,you should be able to turn off the ink monitor so that it dosent use
the chip and will not give you the low ink warnings.I'm sure they show you
how to do it in the manual