Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Speeding up programs AND background tasks?

Speeding up programs AND background tasks?

Mama Bear

I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
few seconds until it stops.

I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into control
panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of programs, in the
CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of things run really jerky,
like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen graphics when it does the moves.

So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of either
having some things work right or others, but I want both.

But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was suggesting
adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I have a socket for
one ) would it automatically help this situation and make the
machine run much faster?

Would it need special software to take advantage of the two CPU's?

--
- Mama Bear

Vanguard

"Mama Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
> ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
> manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
> few seconds until it stops.

<snip>

Maybe you need more system memory. Since you never mentioned WHICH
operating system that you use (Windows, Linux, whatever), and WHICH version
of that OS, and WHICH file system (FAT, NTFS, other), maybe you need to
defragment your hard drive(s), or maybe you need to use msconfig.exe, if
available, to reduce how many programs load on startup (assuming those
programs don't provide that option to NOT load on startup).

--
How to post:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Toolman Tim

In news:Xns975F985A9B548Mama@216.196.97.142,
Mama Bear spewed forth:
> I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
> ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
> manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
> few seconds until it stops.
>
> I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into control
> panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of programs, in the
> CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of things run really jerky,
> like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen graphics when it does the moves.
>
> So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of either
> having some things work right or others, but I want both.
>
> But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was suggesting
> adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I have a socket for
> one ) would it automatically help this situation and make the
> machine run much faster?

Yes, probably. But it's rare to find a dual processor board without two
processors already installed.

> Would it need special software to take advantage of the two CPU's?

XP Pro instead of XP Home.

Here's a possible alternative. If it's only HotDog that needs the priority
change, then change that one. Start the program, press Ctrl-Alt-Del for the
task manager, and find HotDog in the processes list. Rightclick, select set
priority, pick a higher setting. (Here's the catch: I don't know if it will
remember that next time...)

Mama Bear

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> In news:Xns975F985A9B548Mama@216.196.97.142,
> Mama Bear spewed forth:
>> I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
>> ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
>> manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter
>> every few seconds until it stops.
>>
>> I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into
>> control panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of
>> programs, in the CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of
>> things run really jerky, like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen
>> graphics when it does the moves.
>>
>> So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of
>> either having some things work right or others, but I want
>> both.
>>
>> But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was
>> suggesting adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I
>> have a socket for one ) would it automatically help this
>> situation and make the machine run much faster?

> Yes, probably. But it's rare to find a dual processor board
> without two processors already installed.
>

>> Would it need special software to take advantage of the two
>> CPU's?

> XP Pro instead of XP Home.
>

> Here's a possible alternative. If it's only HotDog that needs
> the priority change, then change that one. Start the program,
> press Ctrl-Alt-Del for the task manager, and find HotDog in
> the processes list. Rightclick, select set priority, pick a
> higher setting. (Here's the catch: I don't know if it will
> remember that next time...)

Worth a try, thanks.

--
- Mama Bear

Mama Bear

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> "Mama Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
>> ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
>> manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter
>> every few seconds until it stops.

><snip>
>
> Maybe you need more system memory. Since you never mentioned
> WHICH operating system that you use (Windows, Linux,
> whatever)

XP Home Edition.

>, and WHICH version of that OS, and WHICH file system
> (FAT, NTFS, other), maybe you need to defragment your hard
> drive(s), or maybe you need to use msconfig.exe, if available,
> to reduce how many programs load on startup (assuming those
> programs don't provide that option to NOT load on startup).

--
- Mama Bear

NC

Mama Bear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
>ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
>manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
>few seconds until it stops.
>
>I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into control
>panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of programs, in the
>CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of things run really jerky,
>like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen graphics when it does the moves.
>
>So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of either
>having some things work right or others, but I want both.
>
>But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was suggesting
>adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I have a socket for
>one ) would it automatically help this situation and make the
>machine run much faster?
>
>Would it need special software to take advantage of the two CPU's?

Junk and bunk. Uninstall "short keys" whatever that is, sounds like
junk and probably grabbing processes in use already by another
application. End run, you can't have both w/out influencing the
programmers of the applications in influencing the processes used.

Good luck.

NC
(Two CPUs making the same mistake is the destination of tragedy.)

Mama Bear

NC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> Mama Bear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
>>ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
>>manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter
>>every few seconds until it stops.
>>
>>I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into
>>control panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of
>>programs, in the CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of
>>things run really jerky, like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen
>>graphics when it does the moves.
>>
>>So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of
>>either having some things work right or others, but I want
>>both.
>>
>>But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was
>>suggesting adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I
>>have a socket for one ) would it automatically help this
>>situation and make the machine run much faster?
>>
>>Would it need special software to take advantage of the two
>>CPU's?

> Junk and bunk. Uninstall "short keys" whatever that is,
> sounds like junk and probably grabbing processes in use
> already by another application.

Hey, Shortkeys is one of the most useful shareware programs I've
ever tried, so much so that I paid for it!

--
- Mama Bear

DAVID GETLIN

i have a problem..........how do i delete wallpaper designs i don't
want...........i right click on desktop, click properties and click on
desktop again...........there are so many wallpaper designs i would like to
delete.........how do i do this.........thanks..............dg
news:ds0llm$78k$(E-Mail Removed)...