Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BIOS Went South

BIOS Went South

LDR

I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.

I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
Advance

doS

will it boot from a floppy?

"LDR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
>
> I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> Advance

JANA

Try another display card, and have only the floppy connected. See if it will
boot from a bootable floppy. If it does, then you can work from that point.
Also, try a new set of RAM.

If it is an absolute no-go, then it will be time for a new mother board.

--

JANA
_____

"LDR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.

I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
Advance

Martik

"LDR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
>
> I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> Advance

Get any beeps?

How did u attempt to recover bios when nothing comes up on the screen?

Check monitor cable? Try another monitor?

doS

the 3 main things to eliminate you didnt...lol

"LDR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
>
> I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> Advance

fred-bloggs

LDR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1e4b034c8a1dd92d989680
@news.west.earthlink.net:

> I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
>
> I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> Advance

You get no beeps from the POST (Power on self test)?
Reseat the RAM.
Remove all cards including video.
Disconnect all drives.
Try replacing the Power Supply with one known-to-be-good.
After that suspect the CPU.
Did you do anything to cause your PC to stop working?

--
fred

LDR

In article <cydEf.71$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> will it boot from a floppy?
>
> "LDR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> >I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
> >
> > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> > Advance

No; that's how I tried to recover the bios. thanks for answewing.Larry

LDR

In article <43e1ecce$0$64367$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> LDR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1e4b034c8a1dd92d989680
> @news.west.earthlink.net:
>
> > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
> >
> > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> > Advance

> You get no beeps from the POST (Power on self test)?
> Reseat the RAM.
> Remove all cards including video.
> Disconnect all drives.
> Try replacing the Power Supply with one known-to-be-good.
> After that suspect the CPU.
> Did you do anything to cause your PC to stop working?

I have three Dimms and manipulated them, etc., nothing; drives
disconnected of course; my speaker's not hooked up, but I will do that
today. I have suspected the power supply, although it seems to work
fine. I would put a voltmeter on it, except I don't quite know where to
insert the probes, although I do have the specs. 5 minus? how do you
read that?

Anyway, I was having trouble with my XP Pro; I could not get into it,
even with the safe option. The message, too quick to read completely,
says problem with a handler in security. That's when I suspected
hardware, and it's been downhill ever since. I will probably break down
and update everything, but I would like to know what's going on. I like
mysteries in the middle of the night, but not with my faithful computer.
Thanks everyone.

LDR

In article <WXdEf.160188$AP5.5760@edtnps84>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "LDR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> >I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
> > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
> > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
> > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
> > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
> >
> > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
> > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
> > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. Thanks in
> > Advance

> Get any beeps?
>
> How did u attempt to recover bios when nothing comes up on the screen?
>
> Check monitor cable? Try another monitor?

I did

fred-bloggs

LDR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net:

> In article <43e1ecce$0$64367$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> LDR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:MPG.1e4b034c8a1dd92d989680 @news.west.earthlink.net:
>>
>> > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on
>> > the screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out.
>> > Nothing. Oh, the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated
>> > everything but the Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I
>> > also tried recovering the bios with a software update. Nothing
>> > there, either.
>> >
>> > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without
>> > substitution of parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm
>> > missing something dumb, although, Yes, I did remember to plug in
>> > the computer. Thanks in Advance

>> You get no beeps from the POST (Power on self test)?
>> Reseat the RAM.
>> Remove all cards including video.
>> Disconnect all drives.
>> Try replacing the Power Supply with one known-to-be-good.
>> After that suspect the CPU.
>> Did you do anything to cause your PC to stop working?
>>

> I have three Dimms and manipulated them, etc., nothing; drives
> disconnected of course; my speaker's not hooked up, but I will do that
> today. I have suspected the power supply, although it seems to work
> fine. I would put a voltmeter on it, except I don't quite know where
> to insert the probes, although I do have the specs. 5 minus? how do
> you read that?

You need to have the power supply connected to the motherboard to test
it.
http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm#power%20supply%206

> Anyway, I was having trouble with my XP Pro; I could not get into it,
> even with the safe option. The message, too quick to read completely,
> says problem with a handler in security. That's when I suspected
> hardware, and it's been downhill ever since. I will probably break
> down and update everything, but I would like to know what's going on.
> I like mysteries in the middle of the night, but not with my faithful
> computer. Thanks everyone.

You may need to repair your XP.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/repairing_windows_xp.htm

--
fred

What went wrong here? Philipp VHDL 3 02-06-2005 06:50 PM
IOS update - something went wrong :-) elmar bschorer Cisco 9 02-01-2005 08:43 PM
Re: O/T About Said...who went on the run Nomen Nescio Cisco 0 05-24-2004 08:50 PM