Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > routers and switches

routers and switches

Richard Miller

I have a router with 4 ports, 12 desktops, which has 24 ports. Desktops have
wireless cards and will be wireless. What's a good way to get everyone on
the network with one controller and on the Internet. I'm trying to
coordinate the router and switch?

JANA

You will have to have a wireless system that can accommodate the 24 wireless
ports.

--

JANA
_____

"Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
I have a router with 4 ports, 12 desktops, which has 24 ports. Desktops have
wireless cards and will be wireless. What's a good way to get everyone on
the network with one controller and on the Internet. I'm trying to
coordinate the router and switch?

Billh

Richard Miller wrote:
> I have a router with 4 ports, 12 desktops, which has 24 ports. Desktops have
> wireless cards and will be wireless. What's a good way to get everyone on
> the network with one controller and on the Internet. I'm trying to
> coordinate the router and switch?

I don't know if you typed this right but if the desktops have wireless
cards and the router is wireless then you don't need the switch.

But if you mean the laptops are wireless and you have 12 desktops that
need to be wired then plug them all in to the switch then plug the
switch in to one of the lan ports of the router. Look on your router
for an uplink port often 1 or 24 some times there is a switch you have
move or a newer one will do it automatically for you.

Plato

Richard Miller wrote:

> I have a router with 4 ports, 12 desktops, which has 24 ports. Desktops have
> wireless cards and will be wireless. What's a good way to get everyone on
> the network with one controller and on the Internet. I'm trying to
> coordinate the router and switch?

Networking - General

http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp