Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD-RW and DVD+RW

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD-RW and DVD+RW

 
 
Hans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......

Please tell me that I am wrong!

Hans


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
old jon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006

"Hans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tb8Ef.6861$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
>DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
>
> Please tell me that I am wrong!
>
> Hans
>

Can I refer you to this site Hans, excellent for all things associated with
Video, including DVD.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

--
bw..OJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Geoff Pearson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3D8Ef.6950$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Hans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tb8Ef.6861$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
>>DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
>>
>> Please tell me that I am wrong!
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Can I refer you to this site Hans, excellent for all things associated
> with
> Video, including DVD.
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
>
> --
> bw..OJ
>


Nice site but explains nothing - just a catalogue of what different disks
might be. What is the actual difference between + and - disks? Does + mean
it has something - doesn't?


 
Reply With Quote
 
FML
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
Hans wrote:
> I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
> DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
>
> Please tell me that I am wrong!
>
> Hans
>
>


You are wrong!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Marty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
Becasue it's an optical medium there are mirror images.

eg in chemistry you get molecules which should be the same but are differnet
because they are mirror images (thalidomide being the most famous example of
optical isomerism) likewise when writing to a disk it can the same
information can be written two ways + - which makes a differnece to the
device reading it. Myself I would look for a device capable of writing +
and -. however neither is superior or inferior, on the other hand the market
place may have more of one than the other and so for ease of use ie making a
disk for someone else it may be better to have one over the other think
betamax and vhs both allow you to watch VCR but are not compatable and
having VHS was the best option becasue of sheer numbers
"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hans wrote:
> > I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
> > DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical

difference......
> >
> > Please tell me that I am wrong!
> >
> > Hans
> >
> >

>
> You are wrong!



 
Reply With Quote
 
richard1969@usa.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
Not to long ago someone here gave a good explanation of the
differences.
I believe it was stated that the -rw meant that you had to wipe out the
entire disk each time you wanted to use it.
The +rw is a newer format which does not a clean sweep.
So what you do is get yourself a machine that can handle it all and go
which ever way you want.

But what you really really want to use is DVD RAM.
Same use as your little old floppy disk.
Just a bigger version of it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
"Hans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tb8Ef.6861$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
>DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
>
> Please tell me that I am wrong!
>
> Hans
>



Hans

May I ask what 'you' mean by "technical difference"
Or do you mean 'practical' difference?


I think you will find the full blown 'technical' differences are very hard
to come by and basically irrelevant to 90+% of users.
What most people want to know is the 'practical' differences.

If I may draw an analogy it's like asking why nobody really knows the
technical difference between a two brands of 4 cylinder 2 Litre car motors.
For example block weight, crankshaft main bearing size, clearance between
the rings and lands on a standard piston, Oil pressure at idle, ........
Practically most people want to know how much power is gives, is it
reliable, can I get bits for it easily.

Coming back to DVD -+RW the 'technical' differences between the two
standards is in how the data is recorded in a 'logical' sense to the disk.
i.e. where in the TOC (table of contents) to they record the file names,
what algorithim do they use to error correct the data when it is encoded
before burning, do they write big endian or little endian data... and so on
all very interesting to the Engineers creating the technology.

Its worth noting they both use the same melt/burn dye technology at a
physical level.

If you really do want to get the 'technical details' then you will have to
join one of the DVD forums and pay their membership fee's.
Example http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml Be prepared to spend lots of $
to get the information.
(I followed one of the links to http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/ where the words
'non disclosure agreement $5000' leapt out at me)

On the other hand the 'practical' differences between - and + standards come
down to compatibilty, speed, capacity, price and supply.
Compatibilty - Older DVD readers can struggle to read either standard of RW
disk because of the lower reflectivity of the dye used.
- And (obviously) a single standard burner will only
write to it's standard.
- Software incompatibilites are more of an issue than
standards, ie use Roxio then switch to Nero's InCD will it will likely
choke.
Speed - Remembering DVD data rates are roughly 9 times faster at x 1 any way
(compared to CDR @ 150 Kb/s for x1) so even a 4 x burner is going to rip
through the data. The last DVD burner I bought can do 16 x when the disks
become available. To be quite candid at that rate only the very well heeled
will be able to afford a machine capable of that rate of data transfer.
Capacity - Well both standards do do single layer, but at this point the
dual layer drives seem to only do R disks not RW.
Price - Either or, no difference from what I can tell.

Hope this helps
Paul.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Hans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2006
Thank you Paul!

your answer was informative, indeed...........

I am a bit overwhelmed, but I guess I asked for it.

Hans



"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rwbEf.106181$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Hans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tb8Ef.6861$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
>>DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
>>
>> Please tell me that I am wrong!
>>
>> Hans
>>

>
>
> Hans
>
> May I ask what 'you' mean by "technical difference"
> Or do you mean 'practical' difference?
>
>
> I think you will find the full blown 'technical' differences are very hard
> to come by and basically irrelevant to 90+% of users.
> What most people want to know is the 'practical' differences.
>
> If I may draw an analogy it's like asking why nobody really knows the
> technical difference between a two brands of 4 cylinder 2 Litre car
> motors.
> For example block weight, crankshaft main bearing size, clearance between
> the rings and lands on a standard piston, Oil pressure at idle, ........
> Practically most people want to know how much power is gives, is it
> reliable, can I get bits for it easily.
>
> Coming back to DVD -+RW the 'technical' differences between the two
> standards is in how the data is recorded in a 'logical' sense to the disk.
> i.e. where in the TOC (table of contents) to they record the file names,
> what algorithim do they use to error correct the data when it is encoded
> before burning, do they write big endian or little endian data... and so
> on all very interesting to the Engineers creating the technology.
>
> Its worth noting they both use the same melt/burn dye technology at a
> physical level.
>
> If you really do want to get the 'technical details' then you will have to
> join one of the DVD forums and pay their membership fee's.
> Example http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml Be prepared to spend lots of $
> to get the information.
> (I followed one of the links to http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/ where the words
> 'non disclosure agreement $5000' leapt out at me)
>
> On the other hand the 'practical' differences between - and + standards
> come down to compatibilty, speed, capacity, price and supply.
> Compatibilty - Older DVD readers can struggle to read either standard of
> RW disk because of the lower reflectivity of the dye used.
> - And (obviously) a single standard burner will only
> write to it's standard.
> - Software incompatibilites are more of an issue
> than standards, ie use Roxio then switch to Nero's InCD will it will
> likely choke.
> Speed - Remembering DVD data rates are roughly 9 times faster at x 1 any
> way (compared to CDR @ 150 Kb/s for x1) so even a 4 x burner is going to
> rip through the data. The last DVD burner I bought can do 16 x when the
> disks become available. To be quite candid at that rate only the very well
> heeled will be able to afford a machine capable of that rate of data
> transfer.
> Capacity - Well both standards do do single layer, but at this point the
> dual layer drives seem to only do R disks not RW.
> Price - Either or, no difference from what I can tell.
>
> Hope this helps
> Paul.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2006
Hans wrote:
>
> I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
> DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......


It's true, nobody knows.












--
http://www.22pixels.com/ By Artists, For Artists
http://www.kissmyip.com/ Find Your IP, Share A Kiss
http://www.bootdisk.com/ PC Support, Excellent Utils

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
if and and vs if and,and titi VHDL 4 03-11-2007 05:23 AM



Advertisments