Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Eliza

Eliza

Gary G. Taylor

No, not the bot, but rather the pseudo-AI program that has apparently
either influenced or contributed to it:

I had a CP/M version of this a long time ago and it struck me as one of
the most frustrating pieces of **** I'd ever encountered. That, of course,
was its purpose: to emulate a Rogerian ("non-directive") psychotherapist.
The answers it gives to your questions are very much like the bot's
answers here and if you're trying to get any concrete advice, or insight
into your own thought processes, it will have you screaming in
frustration inside of five minutes. There's several online versions of it;
this one seems to be easiest to use (Java required):

http://www.nu-woman.com/eliza.htm

Elizavita Chirkova

Gary G. Taylor wrote:

No, not the bot, but rather the pseudo-AI program that has apparently
>either influenced or contributed to it:
>
>I had a CP/M version of this a long time ago and it struck me as one of
>the most frustrating pieces of **** I'd ever encountered. That, of course,
>was its purpose: to emulate a Rogerian ("non-directive") psychotherapist.
>The answers it gives to your questions are very much like the bot's
>answers here and if you're trying to get any concrete advice, or insight
>into your own thought processes, it will have you screaming in
>frustration inside of five minutes. There's several online versions of it;
>this one seems to be easiest to use (Java required):
>
>http://www.nu-woman.com/eliza.htm

Does this topic make you feel angry ?

Elizavita Chirkova

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

Gary G. Taylor wrote:

>No, not the bot, but rather the pseudo-AI program that has apparently
>
>Does this topic make you feel angry ?

Why not?

Elizavita Chirkova

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

>Gary G. Taylor wrote:
>
>Why not?

What answer would please you most?

Elizavita Chirkova

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

>Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
>
>What answer would please you most?

You're not really talking about me -- are you?

Elizavita Chirkova

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

>Elizavita Chirkova wrote: