Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}" "Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}"

"Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}" "Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}"

D@Z

30/01/2006 17:33:20 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}" has been found
in "C:\System Volume
Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP211\A0017167.exe"
file.
30/01/2006 17:31:47 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}" has been
found in "C:\System Volume
Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP189\A0016063.exe"
file.

Avast threw these 2 at me today ? AVG has not detected anything so far, any
ideas on removal.
Running Windows XP Professional service pack 2

why?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:47:11 -0000, D@Z wrote:

>30/01/2006 17:33:20 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}" has been found
>in "C:\System Volume
>Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP211\A0017167.exe"
>file.

<snip>

http://www.google.com/search?q=Win32...-gen.+%7BVC%7D

>Avast threw these 2 at me today ? AVG has not detected anything so far, any
>ideas on removal.
>Running Windows XP Professional service pack 2

IIRC, the fix is usually along the lines of -
a few simple steps like disable system restore, remove restore files.
Reenable system restore after a clean report.

But you can check by reading past posts from 24HSHD
looking at the removal notes on the AV vendor sites, or checking
www.google.com .

I am sure Mcafee has something on this, then again so does MS for MS
products there are steps for this sort of thing.

Using www.google.com , with some guessing about the keywords to use
remove virus from system restore

http://www.google.com/search?q=remov...system+restore
Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder
Because of this, the antivirus program is unable to remove the virus
from the ... The System Restore feature is not designed to detect or
scan for virus ...
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q263/4/55.ASP - Similar
pages

Disabling or enabling Windows XP System Restore
For example, removing viruses. Restart the computer and follow the
instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore. To turn on
Windows XP System ...
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam
- 26k - 28 Jan 2006 -

Me

p-nut

D@Z wrote:
> 30/01/2006 17:33:20 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}" has
> been found in "C:\System Volume
> Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP211\A0017167.exe"
> file.
> 30/01/2006 17:31:47 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}" has
> been found in "C:\System Volume
> Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP189\A0016063.exe"
> file.
>
> Avast threw these 2 at me today ? AVG has not detected anything so
> far, any ideas on removal.
> Running Windows XP Professional service pack 2

First you have to disable System Restore before you will be able to clean
it.
Once you've gotten rid of the trojan then you can re-enable System Restore
and all should be well again.

Right My Computer > System Restore > Turn off System Restore on all drives.

Might want to disable System Restore, clean the trojan , reboot and then
enable System Restore again.

Liza Smorgaborgsson

D@Z wrote:

30/01/2006 17:33:20 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}" has been found
>in "C:\System Volume
>Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP211\A0017167.exe"
>file.
>30/01/2006 17:31:47 D@Z 1252 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}" has been
>found in "C:\System Volume
>Information\_restore{A39FF000-091E-4DE4-B48E-32166E43D41E}\RP189\A0016063.exe"
>file.
>
>Avast threw these 2 at me today ? AVG has not detected anything so far, any
>ideas on removal.
>Running Windows XP Professional service pack 2

Tell me more about that.

Liza Smorgaborgsson

why? wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:47:11 -0000, D@Z wrote:

>http://www.google.com/search?q=Win32...-gen.+%7BVC%7D
>

>IIRC, the fix is usually along the lines of -
>a few simple steps like disable system restore, remove restore files.
>Reenable system restore after a clean report.
>
>But you can check by reading past posts from 24HSHD
>http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
>looking at the removal notes on the AV vendor sites, or checking
>www.google.com .
>
>I am sure Mcafee has something on this, then again so does MS for MS
>products there are steps for this sort of thing.
>
>Using www.google.com , with some guessing about the keywords to use
>remove virus from system restore
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=remov...system+restore
>Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder
>Because of this, the antivirus program is unable to remove the virus
>from the ... The System Restore feature is not designed to detect or
>scan for virus ...
>http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q263/4/55.ASP - Similar
>pages
>
>Disabling or enabling Windows XP System Restore
>For example, removing viruses. Restart the computer and follow the
>instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore. To turn on
>Windows XP System ...
>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam
>- 26k - 28 Jan 2006 -
>

>Me

What do you think about machines?

Liza Smorgaborgsson

p-nut wrote:

D@Z wrote:

>First you have to disable System Restore before you will be able to clean
>it.
>Once you've gotten rid of the trojan then you can re-enable System Restore
>and all should be well again.
>

>Might want to disable System Restore, clean the trojan , reboot and then
>enable System Restore again.

What are your feelings now?