Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Newbie looking for pointers

Newbie looking for pointers

Tom

Hi,

OK I am a complete newbie at this so apologies straight out.

I have a desktop running WinXP SP2 connected to a cable modem, which I have
just installed a Asus Wireless LAN 802.11g PCI card (WL-138G)

I also have a laptop running Win2K and just brought a Asus WLAN Adapter
802.11g USB (WL-167G)

The laptop actually is my work laptop and connects to the my work wired
Ethernet LAN normally, however I do have admin rights to change anything I
like. I have also connected to other business networks in the past so I
don't think there is anything wrong with the NIC or anything like that.

There is something funny going on with my cable modem also as the internet
connect works fine on the desktop but does not connect when I plug the cat5
cable into my work laptop.
I have also go a cross over cable that also does not communicate between the
two computers (to do this I need to remove the cable modem from the
desktop).

I tried the setup recommended in the wireless equipment manual, but I think
I need to setup the home network first.
SO:
can anyone explain to me or point me in the direction of a clear and
straight forward tutorial regarding setting up a network (wired or wireless)
so that I can try and get my head around whats going on and how I might be
able to get the two computers to talk to each other. Simple stuff for most
of you I'm sure like: IP addresses, DNS gateway, dynamic address allocations
etc etc. I've heard all these terms before but don't really know what they
mean.

Thanks in advance for any help. I wait in eagerness to get this thing up
and running.

Cheers,

Tom

Jack

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
If you need general information about installing and configuring Windows OS'
Network this might help too.
Installing Network: http://www.ezlan.net/installing.html

File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> OK I am a complete newbie at this so apologies straight out.
>
> I have a desktop running WinXP SP2 connected to a cable modem, which I

have
> just installed a Asus Wireless LAN 802.11g PCI card (WL-138G)
>
> I also have a laptop running Win2K and just brought a Asus WLAN Adapter
> 802.11g USB (WL-167G)
>
> The laptop actually is my work laptop and connects to the my work wired
> Ethernet LAN normally, however I do have admin rights to change anything I
> like. I have also connected to other business networks in the past so I
> don't think there is anything wrong with the NIC or anything like that.
>
> There is something funny going on with my cable modem also as the internet
> connect works fine on the desktop but does not connect when I plug the

cat5
> cable into my work laptop.
> I have also go a cross over cable that also does not communicate between

the
> two computers (to do this I need to remove the cable modem from the
> desktop).
>
> I tried the setup recommended in the wireless equipment manual, but I

think
> I need to setup the home network first.
> SO:
> can anyone explain to me or point me in the direction of a clear and
> straight forward tutorial regarding setting up a network (wired or

wireless)
> so that I can try and get my head around whats going on and how I might be
> able to get the two computers to talk to each other. Simple stuff for

most
> of you I'm sure like: IP addresses, DNS gateway, dynamic address

allocations
> etc etc. I've heard all these terms before but don't really know what

they
> mean.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help. I wait in eagerness to get this thing up
> and running.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Tom

Thanks Jack,

I've now been able to set up the wired cross over cable network by setting
fixed IP addresses on both machines (but need to go back to automatic when
using the cable modem)

Also had the Wifi network operating and successfully connected and surfed
other non encrypted networks.

I am now concerned about security. as I don't have a router I only use Zone
Alarm, GRISoft AVG Antivirus and the windows firewall. Is this enough to 1)
stop unauthorised people using my internet connection or resources and 2)
stop people "seeing" what I am transmitting over the internet?

Cheers,
Tom

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> May be this can Help.
> Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> If you need general information about installing and configuring Windows
> OS'
> Network this might help too.
> Installing Network: http://www.ezlan.net/installing.html
>
> File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> OK I am a complete newbie at this so apologies straight out.
>>
>> I have a desktop running WinXP SP2 connected to a cable modem, which I

> have
>> just installed a Asus Wireless LAN 802.11g PCI card (WL-138G)
>>
>> I also have a laptop running Win2K and just brought a Asus WLAN Adapter
>> 802.11g USB (WL-167G)
>>
>> The laptop actually is my work laptop and connects to the my work wired
>> Ethernet LAN normally, however I do have admin rights to change anything
>> like. I have also connected to other business networks in the past so I
>> don't think there is anything wrong with the NIC or anything like that.
>>
>> There is something funny going on with my cable modem also as the
>> internet
>> connect works fine on the desktop but does not connect when I plug the

> cat5
>> cable into my work laptop.
>> I have also go a cross over cable that also does not communicate between

> the
>> two computers (to do this I need to remove the cable modem from the
>> desktop).
>>
>> I tried the setup recommended in the wireless equipment manual, but I

> think
>> I need to setup the home network first.
>> SO:
>> can anyone explain to me or point me in the direction of a clear and
>> straight forward tutorial regarding setting up a network (wired or

> wireless)
>> so that I can try and get my head around whats going on and how I might
>> be
>> able to get the two computers to talk to each other. Simple stuff for

> most
>> of you I'm sure like: IP addresses, DNS gateway, dynamic address

> allocations
>> etc etc. I've heard all these terms before but don't really know what

> they
>> mean.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help. I wait in eagerness to get this thing up
>> and running.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom

Need to mail and fax asp pages, newbie looking for pointers Jim Florence ASP .Net 6 10-11-2006 09:42 PM
c++: pointers to pointers A C++ 3 10-29-2003 01:15 PM
pointers to pointers // exception handling error muser C++ 3 09-18-2003 06:19 PM
Template specialization of pointers with function pointers Phil C++ 1 09-16-2003 02:17 AM

Advertisments