Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP slowdown

XP slowdown

John Dean

Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE. Now everything seems to have
slowed down. Boot up takes minutes where it used to take seconds,
programs run slowly on startup that previously ran briskly and there are
delays in switching between running processes, even something as simple
as switching from a loading window in IE to an open newsgroup in Outlook
Express. There's more activity on the HD (if I am to trust the little
light that winks whenever the HD is in action) following almost
everything I do.
I've done virus scans with my resident AVG and with Norton online,
scanned with Spybot and Adaware and there's nothing wrong.
The obvious culprit would have been the Indexing service, but I've
confirmed via Control Panel / Services that it's disabled.
So, any thoughts as to what might be the "usual suspects" here that I
might look further into?
--
John Dean
Oxford

::Your Name Here::

John Dean wrote:
> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?

Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

John Dean

::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:
> John Dean wrote:
>> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

> Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
>
> Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?
--
John Dean
Oxford

::Your Name Here::

John Dean wrote:
> ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:
>
>> John Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

>> Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
>>
>> Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

> The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?

Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?
What processeses are listed in the task manager?
Is your CPU overheating?
Have you tested your RAM?
What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on it?
How much RAM is in your computer?

Meat Plow

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:06:35 +1100, wrote:

> John Dean wrote:
>> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

> Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
>
> Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

Slow Edition?

::Your Name Here::

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:06:35 +1100, wrote:
>

>>John Dean wrote:
>>
>>>Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

>>Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
>>
>>Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

> Slow Edition?

LOL

John Dean

::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:

>>> Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
>>>
>>> Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

>> The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?

> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down. Would
it assist you to know exactly what's running?
> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
> Is your CPU overheating?

Nope
> Have you tested your RAM?

Yep
> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
> it?

svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
>How much RAM is in your computer?

1024 Mb
--
John Dean
Oxford

abc

virus protection pop up blocker any number of things. if you have a lot of
icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, you have too many
"John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drblu2$rmk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:

>>> The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?

>> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

> Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down. Would it
> assist you to know exactly what's running?
>> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

> svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
>> Is your CPU overheating?

> Nope
>> Have you tested your RAM?

> Yep
>> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
>> it?

> svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
>>How much RAM is in your computer?

> 1024 Mb
> --
> John Dean
> Oxford

Duane Arnold

abc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .

> virus protection pop up blocker any number of things. if you have a
> lot of icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, you have too
> many "John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:drblu2$rmk$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

>> Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down.
>> Would it assist you to know exactly what's running?
>>> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

>> svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
>>> Is your CPU overheating?

>> Nope
>>> Have you tested your RAM?

>> Yep
>>> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
>>> it?

>> svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
>>> How much RAM is in your computer?

>> 1024 Mb
>> --
>> John Dean
>> Oxford

test

--
Duane

Duane Arnold

abc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .

> virus protection pop up blocker any number of things. if you have a
> lot of icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, you have too
> many "John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:drblu2$rmk$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

>> Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down.
>> Would it assist you to know exactly what's running?
>>> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

>> svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
>>> Is your CPU overheating?

>> Nope
>>> Have you tested your RAM?

>> Yep
>>> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
>>> it?

>> svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
>>> How much RAM is in your computer?

>> 1024 Mb
>> --
>> John Dean