Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Video Cards

Video Cards

Just Me

Hello All,

How much of a roll does the size of video cards play on a computer system?

First, I have a 450 MHZ AMD K-6, 12 GB hard drive and 512 MB total memory. I am running Windows XP, and Mozilla as a browser. My connection to the Internet is via DSL.

The video card under Display properties is

Chip Type: ATI 3D Rage IIC AGP
DAC Type: ATI Internal DAC
Memory Size: 8MB

The problem I experience is that when I open a second browser window or download something of the Internet the screen will go all white for about 5 - 10 seconds before everything will restore normally.

Whenever i play a video file (the film jokes that everyone has gotten at one time or another) the video seems to badly lag the audio. I am running Windows Media Player 10.

Could I benefit from a video card with more memory, more memory overall or just a new computer?

Thanks

Evan Platt

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:50:06 GMT, "Just Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C620ED.14CFAB90

<SNIP>

Please turn off HTML when posting to newsgroups.

Martik

"Just Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OxvBf.14010$(E-Mail Removed). com...
[...]

Your video and cpu should be fine for playing video's thru WMP. I have no
problems with an old PII 350 128mb same video.
Try using WMP 9 or a different browser. Possibly your onboard video is
defective. If so try a cheap video card.

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm