Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD recorder---another question

DVD recorder---another question

PowerPost2000

do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home, or do they only
record what's on the TV?

Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
the VCR or into the output of the TV?

Thanks.

Martik

"PowerPost2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

yes

> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

yes

> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

they will replace your VCR

PowerPost2000

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:18:06 GMT, "Martik"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"PowerPost2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

>yes
>

>> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

>yes
>
>> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
>> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

>they will replace your VCR

Sounds good. thanks.

Toolman Tim

In news:iESAf.90294$m05.53872@clgrps12,
Martik spewed forth:
> "PowerPost2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

> yes
>

>> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

> yes
>
>> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
>> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

> they will replace your VCR

Or supplement them. I still have two VCRs and my DVR in my system.

Martik

news:QdTAf.240$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:iESAf.90294$m05.53872@clgrps12,
> Martik spewed forth:
>> "PowerPost2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

>> yes
>>

>>> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

>> yes
>>
>>> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
>>> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

>> they will replace your VCR

> Or supplement them. I still have two VCRs and my DVR in my system.

I can't stand the poor quality of VCR's after using a DVR. Hopefully, the
prices of HD models will come down soon.

Toolman Tim

In news:HJXAf.172771$OU5.84367@clgrps13,
Martik spewed forth:
> news:QdTAf.240$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:iESAf.90294$m05.53872@clgrps12,
>> Martik spewed forth:
>>> "PowerPost2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> yes

>>> yes

>>> they will replace your VCR

>> Or supplement them. I still have two VCRs and my DVR in my system.
>>

> I can't stand the poor quality of VCR's after using a DVR. Hopefully,
> the prices of HD models will come down soon.

Agreed. I only use my VCR for time shifting late night TV shows - nothing
I'd want to keep.

zaax

PowerPost2000 wrote:

> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

Yes, some of them also have built in Freeview tuners

> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home, or do they only
> record what's on the TV?

yes,

> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

no, TV - DVD - Digibox - TV. They mostly only have 2 SCART sockets

> Thanks.

see http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ for more info.

zaax

Grandpa Chuck

When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.

I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.

So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.

I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you all for your help.

--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Toolman Tim

In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
> When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
> the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
> numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
> unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
> Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
>
> I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
> recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
>
> So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
> on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
>
> I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
> to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you all for your help.

I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is hard
drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to DVD.

Grandpa Chuck

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
> Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
>
>>When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
>>the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
>>numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
>>unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
>>Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
>>
>>I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
>>recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
>>
>>So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
>>on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
>>
>>I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
>>to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
>>
>>Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>Thank you all for your help.

> I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is hard
> drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
> recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to DVD.

Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be
able to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for
the three audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR it
would be very easy to set one up right beside this computer.

When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't
really want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with a
built in video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should expect
to pay between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it when you
get someone with an attitude like that? Besides, after them telling me
that I would be able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA movies to
DVD-R disks on our entertainment center DVD recorder I am reluctant to
believe anything without seeing it done first.

--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-