Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Documents Wont Print

Documents Wont Print

Katonahjoe

When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer from my
Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light on the printer
does not flash indicating a document is printing nor do I get an error
message that the connection is bad.

I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and Support but
nothing worked.
Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I also
disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.

The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
Properties/Print to the Following Port.
I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there something
else I should have done to select another port? How do I test to see if the
problem is the port itself? I do not have another PC or printer to test
with.

Toolman Tim

In news:KROAf.3740$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
Katonahjoe spewed forth:
> When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
> from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
> on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
> do I get an error message that the connection is bad.
>
> I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and
> Support but nothing worked.
> Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I
> also disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
>
> The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
> configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
> Properties/Print to the Following Port.
> I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there
> something else I should have done to select another port? How do I
> test to see if the problem is the port itself? I do not have another
> PC or printer to test with.

Ports are tested with a loopback plug and special software. You'd be better
off getting a neighbor, co-worker, family member, etc. to bring over a
different printer and try that.

Toolman Tim

In news:KROAf.3740$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
Katonahjoe spewed forth:
> When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
> from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
> on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
> do I get an error message that the connection is bad.
>
> I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and
> Support but nothing worked.
> Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I
> also disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
>
> The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
> configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
> Properties/Print to the Following Port.
> I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there
> something else I should have done to select another port? How do I
> test to see if the problem is the port itself? I do not have another
> PC or printer to test with.

Here's another thought - you may have something "stuck" in your print
spooler. Go to C:\windows\system32\spool\printers and delete any files that
are in there.

Mike Easter

Katonahjoe wrote:
> When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
> from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
> on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
> do I get an error message that the connection is bad.

First do a printer selftest to make sure the printer's firmware is
working.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bpd02940

which sez disconnect the printer from the computer but not the
powersource, hold down the powerbutton, while that button is down, press
and release the resume button 4 times, then release the powerbutton.
The resultant page is some vertical stripes of the colors.

Here's the page about XP driver installation and the diagnostics utility
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...565&rule=46644 -
- Installing the Most Current Printer Driver on a Microsoft(R) Windows
XP Computer -- Downloading and Installing the System Diagnostics Utility
(v 1.5)

--
Mike Easter

Katonahjoe

When I checked this folder, there were 4 or 6 files with a prefix of
FP00000 or F00000 that apparently Shockwave files that had been created in
the System 32 folder after the last time I tried to print.

I deleted them but still cannot print. Thanks anyway.

news:chPAf.43$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:KROAf.3740$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net,
> Katonahjoe spewed forth:
>> When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
>> from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
>> on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
>> do I get an error message that the connection is bad.
>>
>> I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and
>> Support but nothing worked.
>> Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I
>> also disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
>>
>> The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
>> configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
>> Properties/Print to the Following Port.
>> I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there
>> something else I should have done to select another port? How do I
>> test to see if the problem is the port itself? I do not have another
>> PC or printer to test with.

> Here's another thought - you may have something "stuck" in your print
> spooler. Go to C:\windows\system32\spool\printers and delete any files
> that are in there.
>
> --
> Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Katonahjoe

I will try your suggestions and get back to the group. Thanks.

news:43d3c3d0$0$74903$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Katonahjoe wrote:
>> When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
>> from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
>> on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
>> do I get an error message that the connection is bad.

> First do a printer selftest to make sure the printer's firmware is
> working.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bpd02940
>
> which sez disconnect the printer from the computer but not the
> powersource, hold down the powerbutton, while that button is down, press
> and release the resume button 4 times, then release the powerbutton.
> The resultant page is some vertical stripes of the colors.
>
> Here's the page about XP driver installation and the diagnostics utility
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...565&rule=46644 -
> - Installing the Most Current Printer Driver on a Microsoft(R) Windows
> XP Computer -- Downloading and Installing the System Diagnostics Utility
> (v 1.5)
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Spuds

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:59:22 GMT, "Katonahjoe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer from my
>Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light on the printer
>does not flash indicating a document is printing nor do I get an error
>message that the connection is bad.
>
>I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and Support but
>nothing worked.
>Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I also
>disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
>
>The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
>configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
>Properties/Print to the Following Port.
>I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there something
>else I should have done to select another port? How do I test to see if the
>problem is the port itself? I do not have another PC or printer to test
>with.

Could be something simple like printing being paused.
Right click on the printer icon and have a look.