Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ImageResizer PowerToy no longer works

ImageResizer PowerToy no longer works

Terry Pinnell

A neat program I use occasionally has stopped working. It's the
ImageResizer PowerToy from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
"This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a
right-click."

Even after re-installing it from a fresh download, I still don't get
that option in my r-click menu. Any ideas anyone please? Is there
perhaps a registry setting I can tweak to get it back?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

why?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:41:48 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

>A neat program I use occasionally has stopped working. It's the
>ImageResizer PowerToy from here:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>"This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a
>right-click."
>
>Even after re-installing it from a fresh download, I still don't get
>that option in my r-click menu. Any ideas anyone please? Is there
>perhaps a registry setting I can tweak to get it back?

It's assumed you have Win XP as that's the OS for the powertoy, and that
you read the bit that says -

PowerToys only work with U.S. English regional settings.

Yes there will be a registry entry and a small app, it may even be the
case some apps like Spybot S&D (if you have something similar) hasn't
blocked the registry entry being set/changed.

The registry entries , how to reset IR if the menu option doesn't work
appears in several of the sites about IR when using www.google.com to
search.

One if the first finds , has this on the page

"If you've already installed the Power Toy and the Resize Pictures
option does not appear, run these commands from Start, Run dialog:"

You could ask in one of the more specific MS Win XP newsgroups.

Then again you may be a lot better off using Irfan View,
www.irfanview.com

Me

Terry Pinnell

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:41:48 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>>A neat program I use occasionally has stopped working. It's the
>>ImageResizer PowerToy from here:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>>"This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a
>>right-click."
>>
>>Even after re-installing it from a fresh download, I still don't get
>>that option in my r-click menu. Any ideas anyone please? Is there
>>perhaps a registry setting I can tweak to get it back?

>It's assumed you have Win XP as that's the OS for the powertoy, and that
>you read the bit that says -
>
>PowerToys only work with U.S. English regional settings.
>
>Yes there will be a registry entry and a small app, it may even be the
>case some apps like Spybot S&D (if you have something similar) hasn't
>blocked the registry entry being set/changed.
>
>The registry entries , how to reset IR if the menu option doesn't work
>appears in several of the sites about IR when using www.google.com to
>search.
>
>One if the first finds , has this on the page
>
>"If you've already installed the Power Toy and the Resize Pictures
>option does not appear, run these commands from Start, Run dialog:"
>
>You could ask in one of the more specific MS Win XP newsgroups.
>
>Then again you may be a lot better off using Irfan View,
>www.irfanview.com
>
>Me

Thanks. Saw your reply on coming back here to report the problem
sorted. I got it after extensive googling, which turned up the
following from one of the greatly missed MS-MVPs:

http://aumha.org/a/powertoy.php
"NOTE: MS-MVP Alex Nichol pointed out that Image Resizer may not work
if you have disabled image preview in Windows XP. If you encounter
this problem, the usual repair is to type the following from a command
prompt: REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"

Anyway, duly applied, and delighted to have Resizer back again.

I suspect it might somehow have been a casualty of all that business
recently over the 'WMF exploit'.

I do have the excellent IrfanView too thanks. But it is very handy to
get access to a resize tool directly from the context menu, don't you
agree?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

why?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:24:05 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:41:48 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>>A neat program I use occasionally has stopped working. It's the
>>>ImageResizer PowerToy from here:
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>>>"This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a
>>>right-click."
>>>
>>>Even after re-installing it from a fresh download, I still don't get
>>>that option in my r-click menu. Any ideas anyone please? Is there
>>>perhaps a registry setting I can tweak to get it back?

>>It's assumed you have Win XP as that's the OS for the powertoy, and that
>>you read the bit that says -

<snip>

>>Me

>Thanks. Saw your reply on coming back here to report the problem
>sorted. I got it after extensive googling, which turned up the
>following from one of the greatly missed MS-MVPs:
>
>http://aumha.org/a/powertoy.php
>"NOTE: MS-MVP Alex Nichol pointed out that Image Resizer may not work
>if you have disabled image preview in Windows XP. If you encounter
>this problem, the usual repair is to type the following from a command
>prompt: REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"

This lists 2 regsvr32 entries
http://www.winxptutor.com/imgresizer.htm
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 phototoys.dll

>Anyway, duly applied, and delighted to have Resizer back again.

You won't forget for next time then

<snip>

>I do have the excellent IrfanView too thanks. But it is very handy to
>get access to a resize tool directly from the context menu, don't you
>agree?

Perhaps, but then too many things on context menus.

Me