Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Not able to open links in Outlook Express any more?

Not able to open links in Outlook Express any more?

Mr Piquet

And until a week ago I certainly could! Only thing I did was install &
use Firefox for a week. I did not find it quite as good as a few people
reckon it is ( I found it very slow compared to IE6 ).

I have uninstalled but all links in Outlook Express no longer work...
No error message at all... Links simply do not open up at all (they
used to always open in a new window!)

I have reset all IE6 & Outlook Express option... turned off & on again
pop up blocker & Spyware Doctor... Still nothing.

I assume it may have had something to do with installing Firefox... But
I cannot understand how it affected Outlook Express!

Running XP Pro SP2.

One other thing that may be connected is that I had shortcuts on my
desktop to my Gmail accounts ( both Gmail & Google groups )

On clicking both would open... Now I get the dialog box asking which
programme should be used for opening this shortcut... I select IE6 &
select the tab box for "always use the programme to open this type of
file" but every time I try to open again I have to do the same thing...
And the tab box is unchecked again!

Bloody Firefox!!!

Any ideas helpful people?

Cheers

Mike.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mr Piquet wrote:

> I assume it may have had something to do with installing Firefox... But
> I cannot understand how it affected Outlook Express!

It doesn't.

Since we are in an assuming mode, I'll assume that you got a recent
Windows Update around the same time, and it changed your security
settings. Mr. Gates and company frequently think they know better than
their customers (and in some cases, this is true).

Since I don't use OE (preferring a secure application), you'll have to
prowl through the settings and find what was changed. IE, too.

No, it wasn't Firefox.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

dadiOH

Mr Piquet wrote:
> And until a week ago I certainly could! Only thing I did was install &
> use Firefox for a week. I did not find it quite as good as a few
> people reckon it is ( I found it very slow compared to IE6 ).
>
> I have uninstalled but all links in Outlook Express no longer work...
> No error message at all... Links simply do not open up at all (they
> used to always open in a new window!)
>
> I have reset all IE6 & Outlook Express option... turned off & on again
> pop up blocker & Spyware Doctor... Still nothing.
>
> I assume it may have had something to do with installing Firefox...
> But I cannot understand how it affected Outlook Express!

It affects URLs, not OE itself.

This is the cure in Win98. I know you said you use XP but perhaps
you'll be able to extrapolate...

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol

Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Mr Piquet

Problem is this happened after Firefox was installed. No other patches
or updates have been installed. All security options in IE & OE have
been set back to default. Still no joy though!

Plato

Plato

Mr Piquet wrote:

> Problem is this happened after Firefox was installed. No other patches
> or updates have been installed. All security options in IE & OE have
> been set back to default. Still no joy though!

Next time close down all your background apps. before you install a new
program.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mr Piquet