Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive backup.

Hard drive backup.

Funny KAD

Hi all,
Can onyone reccomend a utility to periodaclly perform complete hard drive
backups , so if one main drive fail you can swop it for the backup .

PC

"Funny KAD" <flim@flam.****> wrote in message
news:dqrpkt$s7e$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi all,
> Can onyone reccomend a utility to periodaclly perform complete hard drive
> backups , so if one main drive fail you can swop it for the backup .

Dear Funny KAD

There are several utilities that will perform 'imaging' as in this 'Google'
search.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
Opinions will vary which is 'best'.
Backup media varies from a partition on the same drive, external USB drive
thru to burning to CD R/RW or DVD R/RW.
Using RW disks for example can keep backup media costs down to a minimum.
Depending on the method chosen do allow some time for the 'image' to be
transfered back to the replacement drive.

Another option to consider is to use a 'Raid' array in 'Mirror' formation
(Raid 1) as in this setup guide.
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm

For the releatively low hardware cost I would recomend a Raid 1 'Mirrored
solution if short down time is important.
With a suitable controller the mirroring occurs automatically and all you
have to do when a drive dies is to unplug the dead one, reboot to the
'mirror' drive. All of 5 minutes depending on the accessability of the
hardware.
Then when the replacement drive arrives, schedule an hour or so for the Raid
to rebuild it'self to the new Drive (depending on drive size etc)
Because the system is still running this gives the opportunity to schedule
this restore for a suitable 'quiet time'.

Cheers
Paul.

Funny KAD

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7GeAf.17882$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Funny KAD" <flim@flam.****> wrote in message
> news:dqrpkt$s7e$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Hi all,
>> Can onyone reccomend a utility to periodaclly perform complete hard drive
>> backups , so if one main drive fail you can swop it for the backup .
>>

> Dear Funny KAD
>
> There are several utilities that will perform 'imaging' as in this
> 'Google' search.
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
> Opinions will vary which is 'best'.
> Backup media varies from a partition on the same drive, external USB drive
> thru to burning to CD R/RW or DVD R/RW.
> Using RW disks for example can keep backup media costs down to a minimum.
> Depending on the method chosen do allow some time for the 'image' to be
> transfered back to the replacement drive.
>
> Another option to consider is to use a 'Raid' array in 'Mirror' formation
> (Raid 1) as in this setup guide.
> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm
>
> For the releatively low hardware cost I would recomend a Raid 1 'Mirrored
> solution if short down time is important.
> With a suitable controller the mirroring occurs automatically and all you
> have to do when a drive dies is to unplug the dead one, reboot to the
> 'mirror' drive. All of 5 minutes depending on the accessability of the
> hardware.
> Then when the replacement drive arrives, schedule an hour or so for the
> Raid to rebuild it'self to the new Drive (depending on drive size etc)
> Because the system is still running this gives the opportunity to schedule
> this restore for a suitable 'quiet time'.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.
>Sorry didnt make it very clear.

I have a hard drive to use as a backup.
If the master disk died , or the windos xp operating system went a bit tits
up is there any software that would be able to peform an exact copy of my
master drive and be bootable without having to mess about with boot disks ,
and could back up to the slave drive without any user intervention.
Without running a raid 1 setup.

Toolman Tim

In news:dqrtgs$8qo$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
Funny KAD spewed forth:
> "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7GeAf.17882$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Funny KAD" <flim@flam.****> wrote in message
>> news:dqrpkt$s7e$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>> Hi all,
>>> Can onyone reccomend a utility to periodaclly perform complete hard
>>> drive backups , so if one main drive fail you can swop it for the
>>> backup .

>> There are several utilities that will perform 'imaging' as in this
>> 'Google' search.
>> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
>> Opinions will vary which is 'best'.
>> Backup media varies from a partition on the same drive, external USB
>> drive thru to burning to CD R/RW or DVD R/RW.
>> Using RW disks for example can keep backup media costs down to a
>> minimum. Depending on the method chosen do allow some time for the
>> 'image' to be transfered back to the replacement drive.
>>
>> Another option to consider is to use a 'Raid' array in 'Mirror'
>> formation (Raid 1) as in this setup guide.
>> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm
>>
>> For the releatively low hardware cost I would recomend a Raid 1
>> 'Mirrored solution if short down time is important.
>> With a suitable controller the mirroring occurs automatically and
>> all you have to do when a drive dies is to unplug the dead one,
>> reboot to the 'mirror' drive. All of 5 minutes depending on the
>> accessability of the hardware.
>> Then when the replacement drive arrives, schedule an hour or so for
>> the Raid to rebuild it'self to the new Drive (depending on drive
>> size etc) Because the system is still running this gives the
>> opportunity to schedule this restore for a suitable 'quiet time'.

> Sorry didnt make it very clear.
> I have a hard drive to use as a backup.
> If the master disk died , or the windos xp operating system went a
> bit tits up is there any software that would be able to peform an
> exact copy of my master drive and be bootable without having to mess
> about with boot disks , and could back up to the slave drive without
> any user intervention. Without running a raid 1 setup.

Nothing is going to be *that* automatic. You'll have to keep the drive
"cloned" to your backup on a regular basis. It's possible that some drive
image software allows "incremental" or "differential" imaging - that's only
imaging what has changed on the master drive after the initial image is
made. And after the initial image is made, it might be possible to schedule
the updates on a regular (automated or semi-automated) basis.

And if your master drive does crash, you'll have to restore from the clone
manually.

--
Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

Funny KAD

news:fefAf.16468$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:dqrtgs$8qo$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
> Funny KAD spewed forth:
>> "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:7GeAf.17882$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Funny KAD" <flim@flam.****> wrote in message
>>> news:dqrpkt$s7e$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>> There are several utilities that will perform 'imaging' as in this
>>> 'Google' search.
>>> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
>>> Opinions will vary which is 'best'.
>>> Backup media varies from a partition on the same drive, external USB
>>> drive thru to burning to CD R/RW or DVD R/RW.
>>> Using RW disks for example can keep backup media costs down to a
>>> minimum. Depending on the method chosen do allow some time for the
>>> 'image' to be transfered back to the replacement drive.
>>>
>>> Another option to consider is to use a 'Raid' array in 'Mirror'
>>> formation (Raid 1) as in this setup guide.
>>> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm
>>>
>>> For the releatively low hardware cost I would recomend a Raid 1
>>> 'Mirrored solution if short down time is important.
>>> With a suitable controller the mirroring occurs automatically and
>>> all you have to do when a drive dies is to unplug the dead one,
>>> reboot to the 'mirror' drive. All of 5 minutes depending on the
>>> accessability of the hardware.
>>> Then when the replacement drive arrives, schedule an hour or so for
>>> the Raid to rebuild it'self to the new Drive (depending on drive
>>> size etc) Because the system is still running this gives the
>>> opportunity to schedule this restore for a suitable 'quiet time'.

>> Sorry didnt make it very clear.
>> I have a hard drive to use as a backup.
>> If the master disk died , or the windos xp operating system went a
>> bit tits up is there any software that would be able to peform an
>> exact copy of my master drive and be bootable without having to mess
>> about with boot disks , and could back up to the slave drive without
>> any user intervention. Without running a raid 1 setup.

> Nothing is going to be *that* automatic. You'll have to keep the drive
> "cloned" to your backup on a regular basis. It's possible that some drive
> image software allows "incremental" or "differential" imaging - that's
> only imaging what has changed on the master drive after the initial image
> is made. And after the initial image is made, it might be possible to
> schedule the updates on a regular (automated or semi-automated) basis.
>
> And if your master drive does crash, you'll have to restore from the clone
> manually.
> Thanks tim.

Got the message loud and clear.
What program would you reccomend for incremntal backups.

PC

"Funny KAD" <flim@flam.****> wrote in message
news:dqrtgs$8qo$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

Snip

> I have a hard drive to use as a backup.
> If the master disk died , or the windos xp operating system went a bit
> tits up is there any software that would be able to peform an exact copy
> of my master drive and be bootable without having to mess about with boot
> disks , and could back up to the slave drive without any user
> intervention.
> Without running a raid 1 setup.

If your 'backup' disk is mounted in the PC as (say) D: drive then the
freeware program XXCopy http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm could probably be
scheduled to run at a quiet time and 'image' your C: drive to D: drive.
XXCopy has a /clone switch that should make this quite easy.

Alternatively you could try scheduling a small batch file using the
following built in Xp 'Xcopy' routine.
"xcopy c:*.* d:./e/c/h/r/k"
I use this particular one to 'clone' drives when replacing small with larger
drives etc.

Which ever scheme you use do be aware that the different Disk ID assigned to
the backup drive by the partition format process may be enough to trigger
XP's 'Activation' wizard.
In this case when you change over to the backup drive you may have to go
online and reactivate XP.

Cheers
Paul.

PC

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsofAf.17900$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Funny KAD" <flim@flam.****> wrote in message
> news:dqrtgs$8qo$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>
> Snip
>

>> I have a hard drive to use as a backup.
>> If the master disk died , or the windos xp operating system went a bit
>> tits up is there any software that would be able to peform an exact copy
>> of my master drive and be bootable without having to mess about with boot
>> disks , and could back up to the slave drive without any user
>> intervention.
>> Without running a raid 1 setup.

> If your 'backup' disk is mounted in the PC as (say) D: drive then the
> freeware program XXCopy http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm could probably be
> scheduled to run at a quiet time and 'image' your C: drive to D: drive.
> XXCopy has a /clone switch that should make this quite easy.
>
> Alternatively you could try scheduling a small batch file using the
> following built in Xp 'Xcopy' routine.
> "xcopy c:*.* d:./e/c/h/r/k"
> I use this particular one to 'clone' drives when replacing small with
> larger drives etc.
>
> Which ever scheme you use do be aware that the different Disk ID assigned
> to the backup drive by the partition format process may be enough to
> trigger XP's 'Activation' wizard.
> In this case when you change over to the backup drive you may have to go
> online and reactivate XP.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

Funny KAD

I've just read up the manual on my copy of Acronis 'Disk Image' and they
have the following to say.
[My comments/paraphrase in square brackets like this]
<quote>
Partition or disk restoration from an image is a more complex procedure than
storing. When you store a partition, you can do it directly under Windows or
from a bootable CD. But your system is assumed inoperable in general.
[Part of your system is trashed]
If your data partition files are corrupt, you'll be able to restore the
partition
with Acronis TrueImage Deluxe directly under Windows.
[This assumes you can still boot into Windows and it's only data that's
trashed]

However, if your system or a system partition (usually the primary one) is
damaged, [eg Drive dies] it gets more complex. In this situation there's
only way to restore
everything: booting from a diskette, created with Acronis TrueImage Deluxe,
or from a bootable CD with Acronis TrueImage Deluxe.

You can run Acronis TrueImage Deluxe from a CD [Bootable CD, they have a
wizard that guides you thru it] and then replace a
bootable disk with an archive file CD, containing the image of a partition
be restored. But an archive file can be possibly stored on a special back-up
hard disk. In this case you'll have to connect it to PC.
There's a simple rule: do not store archive files with partition images on
the
same hard disk you create back-up copies of. As in case of filing structures
(for example, Partition Table) damage, you'll just not be able to access
these
images!
So, the main thing for partition restoration is the availability of a
bootable media
(a diskette or CD), created with Acronis TrueImage Deluxe, and also the
access
to an archive file with a partition image (on a hard disk or removable
media).
After you ran [run] the software from a [their Bootable] diskette or a CD
and got to Acronis
TrueImage Deluxe welcome window, the further steps should not be of any
difficulty to you.

</quote>

As you can see this program creates an 'archive' file and needs the parent
software to restore.
Other imaging programs will work in a similar manner. (caveat, I've not used
Ghost etc, only Drive Image)
Hence my suggestion to try the XXCopy or Xcopy solutions.

It basically comes down to how 'fresh' you want your backup to be.
* Up to the minute: you have to use Raid Mirroring.
* A few hours: Schedule 'Imaging' software to suit. Penalty: poor
performance during backup = no good for hard working servers/video
rendering/graphics editing etc.
* A Day: Schedule 'Imaging software' to run overnight. No performance hit,
penalty = days work to recreate.

Cheers
Paul.

dadiOH

Funny KAD wrote:
>> And if your master drive does crash, you'll have to restore from the
>> clone manually.
>> Thanks tim.

> Got the message loud and clear.
> What program would you reccomend for incremntal backups.

Karen's Replicator. Either full or incremental. You can set a schedule
for backups. You will need to have made the backup drive bootable
yourself.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Meat Plow

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:53:17 +0000, Funny KAD wrote:

> Hi all,
> Can onyone reccomend a utility to periodaclly perform complete hard drive
> backups , so if one main drive fail you can swop it for the backup .

Better done with a software / hardware RAID as it is totally transparent
to the end user.

ghost4me@cox.net

> Better done with a software / hardware RAID as it is totally transparent
> to the end user.

RAID is fine for hardware backup, but if you accidently delete your
important file, it's instaneously deleted from the RAID.

A better approach is a backup solution that allows you to store
multiple generations so you can go back a week or a month, etc.