Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I Resale an OEM Version of Office 03 Basic?

Can I Resale an OEM Version of Office 03 Basic?

Greg

I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
Ebay with a piece of hardware? And if someone does purchase it, can they
register it? Or do I have to unregister it first?

pcbutts1

Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the auctions
so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number it is a MS
employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway unless you use
a 1 day auction.

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dedAf.903$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
>Ebay with a piece of hardware? And if someone does purchase it, can they
>register it? Or do I have to unregister it first?

Tappy Lappy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
> auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number it
> is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
> unless you use a 1 day auction.
>
> --

Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
email from a prospective
bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft to
confirm that the item
was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
thanks for shedding
some light on the subject.

Leythos

In article <dqrtc1$8e8$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>, "Tappy
Lappy" <Tappy http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
> > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number it
> > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
> > unless you use a 1 day auction.
> >
> > --
> >

> Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
> email from a prospective
> bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft to
> confirm that the item
> was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
> thanks for shedding
> some light on the subject.

And if you sent them the Authentication code they don't need to buy the
game from you. Once they have the code they can run a bootleg copy
without doing anything other than using your key.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Toolman Tim

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b1gAf.24976$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <dqrtc1$8e8$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>, "Tappy
> Lappy" <Tappy (E-Mail Removed)> says...
>>
>> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
>> > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number
>> > it
>> > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
>> > unless you use a 1 day auction.
>> >

>> Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
>> email from a prospective
>> bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft
>> confirm that the item
>> was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
>> thanks for shedding
>> some light on the subject.

> And if you sent them the Authentication code they don't need to buy the
> game from you. Once they have the code they can run a bootleg copy
> without doing anything other than using your key.

EXCELLENT point! No different than people copying the COA numbers off the
PCs in the stores. Pirates abound.

Dan Evans

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dedAf.903$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
> Ebay with a piece of hardware?

Depends - are you an OEM?

Dan

Leythos

In article <43d19537$0$7225$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dedAf.903$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >

> > I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
> > Ebay with a piece of hardware?

> Depends - are you an OEM?

With OEM software from Microsoft, it's forever tied to the FIRST MACHINE
IT IS INSTALLED ON. That means that even if you uninstall it, it's still
licensed to that very first machine it was installed on. So, with OEM,
you get the software cheaper, but it doesn't allow you to move the
"License" to another computer or even sell it without also selling the
PC to the person.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Ron Martell

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
>Ebay with a piece of hardware? And if someone does purchase it, can they
>register it? Or do I have to unregister it first?

Licenses for OEM versions of Windows are permanently locked to the
first computer that they are installed on and cannot be legitimately
transferred to another computer under any circumstances, even if the
original computer is scrapped, lost, destroyed, or stolen.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Tappy Lappy

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b1gAf.24976$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <dqrtc1$8e8$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com>, "Tappy
> Lappy" <Tappy (E-Mail Removed)> says...
>>
>> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
>> > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number
>> > it
>> > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
>> > unless you use a 1 day auction.
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
>> email from a prospective
>> bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft
>> confirm that the item
>> was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
>> thanks for shedding
>> some light on the subject.

> And if you sent them the Authentication code they don't need to buy the
> game from you. Once they have the code they can run a bootleg copy
> without doing anything other than using your key.

I thought that to be the more likely reason, so obviously refused. It will
be interesting to see if a bid comes from their direction.

Roger

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Licenses for OEM versions of Windows are permanently locked to the
> first computer that they are installed on and cannot be legitimately
> transferred to another computer under any circumstances, even if the
> original computer is scrapped, lost, destroyed, or stolen.

How do M$ know it's a different machine?

How can it be "locked to the first computer they are installed on"?

I recently had to re-format my hard drive and re-install the OS and M$
Office progs. I used the codes provided and everything works! I would regard
this as a legitamate use of the software. Similarly, if I bought a new
machine & scraspped the old one I would expect to use the software on this
one with no hassles. [Don't know if this is prohibted in the EULA though]

Also, I'm sure I've heard of individuals who have borrowed OEM software and
succesfully installed & run it on another machine. [This may be where the
users break the licence agreement!]
Roger