Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > port com change win xp

port com change win xp

Michael

Please can someone tell me how to change port coms in win xp.

mike

Gordon

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:27:40 +0000, Michael wrote:

> Please can someone tell me how to change port coms in win xp.
>
> mike

You mean "Com port" and what are you trying to achieve?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

Giovanni

Michael blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Please can someone tell me how to change port coms in win xp.
>
> mike

You cannot change port coms in XP. Period.

--
Your mother was an extravagant brute who got rid of all her dignity in
disused windmills.

Michael

ive just added an belkin serial port\usb adapter,but it defaulted to COM4 i
want it to be COM1 so how do i change it to Com 1?

mike

Gordon

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:43:10 +0000, Michael wrote:

> ive just added an belkin serial port\usb adapter,but it defaulted to COM4 i
> want it to be COM1 so how do i change it to Com 1?
>

> mike

Does it conflict with another peripheral?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10
to email me replace the obvious!

Toolman Tim

In news:43ce9a54$0$82666$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael spewed forth:
> ive just added an belkin serial port\usb adapter,but it defaulted to
> COM4 i want it to be COM1 so how do i change it to Com 1?
>

> mike

Why? Do you have a specific program that has problems with COM4 for a port
name? It is very typical for add-on ports to be called COM4. Because most PS
already HAVE a COM1 installed in the motherboard, many have two (sometimes
no connector, but the port exists on the motherboard), and adding an
internal modem is three.

You can try going into the Device Manager (start, run, devmgmt.msc <enter>)
and open the ports list. You might be able to change it, maybe not. It could
also have a special entry for the Belkin device in the Device Manager (or in
Control Panel) that allows you to configure the card. You could even try
contacting Belkin for advice...

--
Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

Michael

i think one of you is correct you cannot change it,many thanks all.

Oldus Fartus

Michael wrote:
> i think one of you is correct you cannot change it,many thanks all.

Sometimes you need to think laterally.

Go into your BIOS and change the motherboard port assignments, and you
should find your new card will then be able to be set to COM 1.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Toolman Tim

In news:43cec9d5$0$23577$(E-Mail Removed),
Oldus Fartus spewed forth:
> Michael wrote:
>> i think one of you is correct you cannot change it,many thanks all.
>>

> Sometimes you need to think laterally.
>
> Go into your BIOS and change the motherboard port assignments, and you
> should find your new card will then be able to be set to COM 1.

True- reassign the motherboard COM port settings - instead of 3F8 IRQ 4 make
it 2F8 IRQ3. That would free up port 1. Then in device manager, set the
Belkin card for 3F8 IRQ4. Could work...

--
Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

Unk

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:27:40 -0000, "Michael" <pel> wrote:

>Please can someone tell me how to change port coms in win xp.
>
>mike

Right-click "My Computer", Properties, "Hardware" tab, "Device Manager" button.
Expand "Ports (COM & LPT) (click the + sign
Double-click the COM-1 device, click the "Port Setting" tab, click the "Advanced" button.
Use the spin arrow for "Com Port Number" and pick one not in use.
Repeat the steps for the Belkin serial port\usb adapter and set it to COM-1

This works. I did this with the Belkin serial port\usb adapter so I could use my old Earthmate
GPS COM port antenna with the new DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2006 software.