Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Kazaa Help

Kazaa Help

WeeWilly

Just downloaded Kazaa and immediately noticed that every forum that I've
accessed in the past now has words that are double underlined and colored..
links.. that take me to a RX sponsored website that somehow ties to the
underlined word.

Anyone know a way to eliminate this problem?

Win XP on a Pentium using IE

Thanks, Bill

PC

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just downloaded Kazaa and immediately noticed that every forum that I've
> accessed in the past now has words that are double underlined and
> colored.. links.. that take me to a RX sponsored website that somehow ties
> to the underlined word.
>
> Anyone know a way to eliminate this problem?
>
> Win XP on a Pentium using IE
>
> Thanks, Bill

Bill

1 Uninstall Kazaa.
2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy,
Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just Google)
then
4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free of
spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P scene is so
riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not worth the risk.

(and don't think it won't happen to you. I've just had a young lass in all
distraught at loosing 'everything' because something she downloaded with
Limeware went haywire and blew her user account away, gone, vanished,
history, just no longer there........)

Cheers
Paul.

WeeWilly

Thanks to all..........

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S%izf.15812$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just downloaded Kazaa and immediately noticed that every forum that I've
>> accessed in the past now has words that are double underlined and
>> colored.. links.. that take me to a RX sponsored website that somehow
>> ties to the underlined word.
>>
>> Anyone know a way to eliminate this problem?
>>
>> Win XP on a Pentium using IE
>>
>> Thanks, Bill
>>

> Bill
>
> 1 Uninstall Kazaa.
> 2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy,
> Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
> 3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just
> Google)
> then
> 4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free of
> spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P scene is
> so riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not worth the risk.
>
> (and don't think it won't happen to you. I've just had a young lass in all
> distraught at loosing 'everything' because something she downloaded with
> Limeware went haywire and blew her user account away, gone, vanished,
> history, just no longer there........)
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

Daave

PC wrote:

> 1 Uninstall Kazaa.
> 2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
> Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
> 3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just
> Google) then
> 4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free
> of spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P
> scene is so riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not
> worth the risk.

I haven't used it for a while, but isn't Kazaa Lite alright? WinMX,
too?

Dave

PC

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rL7Af.2932$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> PC wrote:
>
>> 1 Uninstall Kazaa.
>> 2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
>> Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
>> 3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just
>> Google) then
>> 4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free
>> of spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P
>> scene is so riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not
>> worth the risk.

> I haven't used it for a while, but isn't Kazaa Lite alright? WinMX,
> too?
>
> Dave

Dave

As I said 'some are free of spyware'.
What I wanted the OP to grasp is the 'whole' P2P space is so full of
'Spyware/Malware/Trojans' that it is simply not worth the frustration of
cleaning their PC up from 'Colateral Damage' (to paraphrase a famous saying
from the Veitnam era)

I get to see quite a few PC's hit with Spy/Mal ware & Trojans that have P2P
software on them.
Overall my impression is a few dozen music files a couple of movies and a
whole lot of part files on affected PC's.
Depending on what the owner gets done/restored they spend any where from
US$50 up.

It strikes me the US$50 would have bought legitimate copies of what they had
managed to download in the first place.
Kinda makes P2P pointless to me.

Paul.