Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Does length matter?

Does length matter?

Frosty

I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
it matter?
--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Frosty spewed forth:
> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
> it matter?

300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the laptop to the
corner pub <g>

--
Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

FML

Frosty wrote:
> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
> it matter?

IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core "backbone"
cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
<(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>Frosty wrote:
>> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
>> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or

doesn't
>> it matter?

>IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core

"backbone"
>cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
>However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's sitting
down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.

How many meters is that?

Tim:
Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!
--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Unk

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:34:21 -0500, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
>23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
><(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:
>
>>Frosty wrote:
>>> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
>>> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or

>doesn't
>>> it matter?

>>IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core

>"backbone"
>>cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
>>However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

>You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
>Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
>I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
>drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
>wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's sitting
>down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.
>
>How many meters is that?
>
>Tim:
>Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!

A meter is 3.28 feet

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 17 Jan 2006
01:00:46 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Unk <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote:

>>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
>>23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
>><(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>>doesn't
>>>IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core

>>"backbone"
>>>cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10

meters.
>>>However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just

fine.

>>You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
>>Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
>>I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
>>drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
>>wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's

sitting
>>down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.
>>
>>How many meters is that?
>>
>>Tim:
>>Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!

>A meter is 3.28 feet

So will my 36 feet work then?

--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Gordon

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:06:14 -0600, FML wrote:

> Frosty wrote:
>> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
>> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
>> it matter?

> IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core "backbone"
> cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
> However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

I've got a 30m CAT5 cable that works great......

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

Unk

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:08:20 -0500, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 17 Jan 2006
>01:00:46 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Unk <(E-Mail Removed)>
>from this open and apparent shame?:
>
>>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:34:21 -0500, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)>

>wrote:
>>
>>>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
>>>23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>>>doesn't
>>>"backbone"

>meters.

>fine.
>>>
>>>You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
>>>Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
>>>I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
>>>drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
>>>wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's

>sitting
>>>down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.
>>>
>>>How many meters is that?
>>>
>>>Tim:
>>>Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!

>>A meter is 3.28 feet

>So will my 36 feet work then?

Yes. Even Staples sells the cables in lengths of 50 and 100 feet! No problem.

Plato

Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Frosty spewed forth:
> > I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
> > router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
> > it matter?

> 300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the laptop to the
> corner pub <g>

300 feet

Toolman Tim

In news:43cd36cc$0$433$(E-Mail Removed),
Plato spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Frosty spewed forth:
>>> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
>>> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or
>>> doesn't it matter?

>> 300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the
>> laptop to the corner pub <g>

> 300 feet

Yeah. Okay. 100 meters. But I've seen longer runs.