Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem after after video driver update

Problem after after video driver update

Bill P

Hi
I have tried twice to install an update to a Nvidia display driver. I
uninstall the old driver, then install the new. The installation seems to go
well but at the end all I finish up with is an empty desktop with wallpaper
but no icons. The quick launch bar is there. I have had to run restore twice
to get back to square one.
I am running WinXp Home SP2 with Nvidia GeForce 6200TC display adapter.
The PC is running OK with the old driver but it is 10 months out of date and
I just wanted to get up to date.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards
Bill

Bill P

"Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dqgv1e$uah$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have tried twice to install an update to a Nvidia display driver. I
> uninstall the old driver, then install the new. The installation seems to
> go well but at the end all I finish up with is an empty desktop with
> wallpaper but no icons. The quick launch bar is there. I have had to run
> restore twice to get back to square one.
> I am running WinXp Home SP2 with Nvidia GeForce 6200TC display adapter.
> The PC is running OK with the old driver but it is 10 months out of date
> and I just wanted to get up to date.
> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Bill

Sorry, I don't normally stutter

Budweiser

"Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dqgv1e$uah$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have tried twice to install an update to a Nvidia display driver. I
> uninstall the old driver, then install the new. The installation seems
> to go well but at the end all I finish up with is an empty desktop
> with wallpaper but no icons. The quick launch bar is there. I have had
> to run restore twice to get back to square one.
> I am running WinXp Home SP2 with Nvidia GeForce 6200TC display
> adapter.
> The PC is running OK with the old driver but it is 10 months out of
> date and I just wanted to get up to date.
> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Bill

The answer is in what you say--the pc is running ok--just because a
driver is out of date it does not mean it is improved,more likely an
issue fix ,which you do not appear to have.
I doubt if you will see any improvement in performance with the new
driver anyway.
Golden rule---if its not broke do not try to fix it.
For information, Nvidia driver updates are released by various
folks---ensure you have the correct driver for the manufacturer of your
card .
Boot to safe mode
uninstall the card
uninstall all associated software (the card based stuff)
reboot
let the sys find the card
direct it to the file you have the new drivers in.

Best piece of advice is to stop fiddling with the damn thing,you are
only going to break it again.

Bill P

"Budweiser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e3Uyf.7788$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dqgv1e$uah$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I have tried twice to install an update to a Nvidia display driver. I
>> uninstall the old driver, then install the new. The installation seems to
>> go well but at the end all I finish up with is an empty desktop with
>> wallpaper but no icons. The quick launch bar is there. I have had to run
>> restore twice to get back to square one.
>> I am running WinXp Home SP2 with Nvidia GeForce 6200TC display adapter.
>> The PC is running OK with the old driver but it is 10 months out of date
>> and I just wanted to get up to date.
>> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
>> Regards
>> Bill
>>

> The answer is in what you say--the pc is running ok--just because a driver
> is out of date it does not mean it is improved,more likely an issue fix
> ,which you do not appear to have.
> I doubt if you will see any improvement in performance with the new driver
> anyway.
> Golden rule---if its not broke do not try to fix it.
> For information, Nvidia driver updates are released by various
> folks---ensure you have the correct driver for the manufacturer of your
> card .
> Boot to safe mode
> uninstall the card
> uninstall all associated software (the card based stuff)
> reboot
> let the sys find the card
> direct it to the file you have the new drivers in.
>
> Best piece of advice is to stop fiddling with the damn thing,you are only
> going to break it again.

I had a feeling that would be the answer after I reread the post. That is
usually my advice to people. If it aint broke don't fix it. I should follow
my own advice.
Thanks Budweiser.