Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disabling System Restore Problem

Disabling System Restore Problem

Pete

Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
What am I missing here ? why are things not working?

Any help on this one would be most appreciated
Cheers

bloggs

Pete wrote:
> Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
> sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
> restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
> them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
> Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
> work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
> system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
> but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
> What am I missing here ? why are things not working?
>
> Any help on this one would be most appreciated
> Cheers

You wont get rid of viruses by doing system restore. You *need* to use
anti-virus software for this.
Try AVG from www.grisoft.com or Avast! from www.avast.com they're both
free and they work. AVG is more intuitive than Avast tho.
Bloggs

Pete

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:57:37 GMT, bloggs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Pete wrote:
>> Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
>> sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
>> restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
>> them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
>> Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
>> work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
>> system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
>> but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
>> What am I missing here ? why are things not working?
>>
>> Any help on this one would be most appreciated
>> Cheers

>You wont get rid of viruses by doing system restore. You *need* to use
>anti-virus software for this.
>Try AVG from www.grisoft.com or Avast! from www.avast.com they're both
>free and they work. AVG is more intuitive than Avast tho.
>Bloggs

My apologies if I didn't make myself clear - I've run AVG software
which shows up viruses but the affected files just restore themselves
so I need to disable system restore to stop this from happening......
for some reason I am unable to do this . tho the checkbox is ticked to
disable it doesn't work.

Jimmy Dean

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:21:23 GMT, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
>sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
>restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
>them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
>Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
>work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
>system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
> but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
>What am I missing here ? why are things not working?
>
>Any help on this one would be most appreciated
>Cheers

Disabling System Restore is a precaution in case you restored to a
staate which was infected. By itself it shouldn't cause viruses to
reappear (unles you restore to an infected state). You might have
other nasties which can only be cleand up by SpyBot, Ad-Aware and
Microsoft AntiSpyware - I would use all 3.

jd