Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ghosting hard drive using serial port

Ghosting hard drive using serial port

Frosty

Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
to another using the serial port?

im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

philo

Frosty wrote:
> Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
> to another using the serial port?
>
> im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

no serial support
means *no* serial support...
even if it was possible...
it would take several days to clone a drive

I have an ancient version of Laplink Pro that has this capability, I can't
find a version number but the installation files are all dated November
2000. My advice is to forget the serial port, unless your PC is a Windows
3.1 of DOS machine the backup will takes days! A pair of Ethernet cards
will be money well spent!
"Frosty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
> to another using the serial port?
>
> im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Frosty wrote:
> Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
> to another using the serial port?
>
> im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

You might be able to do it with packet drivers. ISTR a shareware LAN
product that allowed complete networks to be built using only serial
ports. You might be able to build some DOS boot disks with "network"
support, using packet drivers - although whether Ghost would use the
mapped drive is another matter.

But those were the days when a 5Meg hard disk served a complete college..

I would suggest using a USB cable and a USB2<>IDE adapter - usually you
don't even have to remove the drive being backed up - just shove the IDE
connector on. But I appreciate that there may be reasons why you can't
do the obvious.

--
Sue

Evan Platt

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:01 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>no serial support
>means *no* serial support...
>even if it was possible...
>it would take several days to clone a drive

I cringe at that though.

Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
near 13 hours.

Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

doS

No such thing as ghost 03...

"Frosty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
> to another using the serial port?
>
> im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

Spuds

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:37:50 -0500, "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No such thing as ghost 03...

Read "2003"

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:01 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >no serial support
> >means *no* serial support...
> >even if it was possible...
> >it would take several days to clone a drive

> I cringe at that though.
>
> Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
> near 13 hours.
>
> Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

Well it's a laptop with no ethernet port else this would be easy. And
it's only a 6 gig drive too.

Looks like a trip to the USB crossover cable store.

Or whatever they call it.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Frosty spewed forth:
> Evan Platt wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:01 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> no serial support
>>> means *no* serial support...
>>> even if it was possible...
>>> it would take several days to clone a drive

>> I cringe at that though.
>>
>> Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
>> near 13 hours.
>>
>> Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

> Well it's a laptop with no ethernet port else this would be easy. And
> it's only a 6 gig drive too.
>
> Looks like a trip to the USB crossover cable store.
>
> Or whatever they call it.

than most USB data transfer cables, and it will be MUCH faster. If your
laptop is old enough it doesn't have a NIC, it probably has USB 1.x not 2.0,
and will be not slow, but *dreadfully* slow.

--
Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

Frosty

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Fri, 13 Jan 2006
23:13:28 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Frosty
<(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

wrote:

>> >no serial support
>> >means *no* serial support...
>> >even if it was possible...
>> >it would take several days to clone a drive

>> I cringe at that though.
>>
>> Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
>> near 13 hours.
>>
>> Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

>Well it's a laptop with no ethernet port else this would be easy. And
>it's only a 6 gig drive too.
>
>Looks like a trip to the USB crossover cable store.
>
>Or whatever they call it.

Unique name there bub...
--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."