Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Flash Drives 2.0

USB Flash Drives 2.0

Solar^

Greetings Group,
Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
someone could steer me to a brand.
Regards,
Solar^

Gutz

"Solar^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings Group,
> Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
> Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
> someone could steer me to a brand.
> Regards,
> Solar^

Yeah they should be compatible with 1.0 & 1.1 - afaik its a stepping stone
protocol i.e. 2.0 is a combination of all the bits of 1.1 and some
improvements.

DC

Solar^ wrote:
> Greetings Group,
> Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
> Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
> someone could steer me to a brand.

In my experience, yes. They usually indicate this on the packaging, but
not always. Just bear in mind that the transfer rates will be 1.0 and
not 2.0 rates.

Brands I've tried: Kingston Data Traveler and Verbatim. Both work
flawlessly on Windows and Linux.

HTH

--
DC

My Constitution includes Section 33. I am not making this up.

PC

"Solar^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings Group,
> Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
> Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
> someone could steer me to a brand.
> Regards,
> Solar^

Solar

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.x. (V1.0 is also forward
compatible with V2.0)
It just transfers at 12Mb sec max (i.e. a lot slower) The 'hardware'
determines the maximum speed. )

Windows 98 compatibility revolves around having the drivers for the
particular device you want to connect to your USB port.
This applies to both USB 1 and USB 2 hardware.
Where XP and ME have built in drivers, 98SE and before require you to load
the driver that 'may' have come with the device.

It is not uncommon to find either no drivers supplied (ergo ME/XP use only)
or at best drivers for 98SE which was the first version to reliably support
USB. When you are buying a Flash drive for use on a Windows '98' machine you
will have to ensure the drivers are included.

Cheers
Paul.

Plato

Solar^ wrote:

> Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
> Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
> someone could steer me to a brand.

In theory yes. But, for win9x systems the flash drive maker most often
has to provide a special driver for it to work on a win9X pc. If you are
lucky, the flash drive maker put this in their directions that came with
the drive and a website to go to to download the driver.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/