Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > suggest a compatible graphics card

suggest a compatible graphics card

chillster13@gmail.com

I have a Mercury motherboard with an Intel P4 845GL/GV Chipset.
It has an Ultra AGP Slot [AGP1]. I want to find the best possible
graphics card I can accomodate in the motherboard.

Some of my friends say I can install even a PCIe card but
the performance would still be the same as installing an
AGP card as the bottleneck would be the motherboard...
Is it true?

help!!!

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Mercury motherboard with an Intel P4 845GL/GV Chipset.
> It has an Ultra AGP Slot [AGP1]. I want to find the best possible
> graphics card I can accomodate in the motherboard.
>
> Some of my friends say I can install even a PCIe card but
> the performance would still be the same as installing an
> AGP card as the bottleneck would be the motherboard...
> Is it true?

You definitely can NOT install a PCIe card in AGP, PCI, or PCI-X slots.

Even though it has that name, it has nothing to do with any previous
PCI-type cards, and there is no similarity.

Maybe they were confusing PCI-X with PCI-e?

Old Gringo

You might try a scan here: http://www.crucial.com/
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

JP

I'd go for Nvidia 6800gs, as long as you can find one for sale somewhere and
the rest of your computer (memory, cpu) is up to spec. If you're computer
isn't up to spec, might be worth thinking about upgrading to PCI-e mobo, if
you have the money for that.
Anything AGP should be compatible, more money usually means better, there's
some good info here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/ (check out the
benchmarks)

-JP

chillster13@gmail.com

Ok... So i cant have a PCIe graphics card runnin'
on my good ol system. But even if i bought a PCI
card will there be any increase in performance compared
to the AGP card meant for that port? I mean the bandwith
will be limited by the port and so we cannot see any difference
between the two families of cards although I spend more on
the PCI....Perhaps someone would throw some light on this

chillster13@gmail.com

Chip Memory DX Generation Chipclock Memoryclock Buswidth P-Pipes
NVIDIA Cards
GeForce 6800 Ultra NV40 256MB DX 9.0 SM3.0 400 1100 256 bit 16
GeForce 6800 GT NV40 256MB DX 9.0 SM3.0 350 1000 256 bit 16
GeForce 6800 NV40 128MB DX 9.0 SM3.0 325 700 256 bit 12
GeForce 6600 GT NV43 128MB DX 9.0 SM3.0 500 900 128 bit 8

ATI Cards
Radeon X850 XT PE R480 256MB DX 9 540 1180 256 bit 16
Radeon X850 XT R480 256MB DX 9 520 1080 256 bit 16
Radeon X800 XT R420 256MB DX 9 500 1000 256 bit 16
Radeon X800 Pro R420 256MB DX 9 475 900 256 bit 12
Radeon X800 XL R430 256MB DX 9 400 1000 256 bit 16

Source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...vii/page2.html.
[Visit the above link for the same table, if the one I pasted aint
readable]

First off i dont understand anything about Chipclock, Memoryclock,
Buswidth, P-Pipes
So can you please tell me about these things ... especially about the
P-Pipes and the buswidth. Also from where can i get to know the
buswidth and the number of P-pipes supported in my motherboard?

Thanks a Lot !!

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a Mercury motherboard with an Intel P4 845GL/GV Chipset.
> It has an Ultra AGP Slot [AGP1]. I want to find the best possible
> graphics card I can accomodate in the motherboard.
>
> Some of my friends say I can install even a PCIe card but
> the performance would still be the same as installing an
> AGP card as the bottleneck would be the motherboard...
> Is it true?

If you have an open pci slot you, "should", be able to install a pci
card. Personally, for what "I" do, and many PCs I've worked on, I cant
see any differece between AGP and PCI video cards.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

admin69

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a Mercury motherboard with an Intel P4 845GL/GV Chipset.
>It has an Ultra AGP Slot [AGP1]. I want to find the best possible
>graphics card I can accomodate in the motherboard.
>
>Some of my friends say I can install even a PCIe card but
>the performance would still be the same as installing an
>AGP card as the bottleneck would be the motherboard...
>Is it true?
>
>help!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,124321,00.asp
The cards are reverse compatible to the MB's, for the most part. They
can't improve beyond what the CPU is capable of and can be far faster
than some boards. Your board shows 400MHz bus speeds.
http://www.fic.com.tw/product/mother...NTEL/VC37.aspx

I'm not seeing PCI-e. or X.

All the above will max out your motherboard satisfactorily on a PCI
express (e-X) PCI slot with full compatibility. Your board doesn't show
compatibility. If it plugs in, it's compatible. PCI Express cards will
not physically fit into a standard PCI slot. Buy one, find out, let me
know

-far more important is gaming compatibility. If not gaming, you don't
need it anyway.