Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Selling my old computer

Selling my old computer

Zaphod

I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
trying to sell it on eBay.

I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.

My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
I remove the HD before selling it?

Thanks, David

*****General

"Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
> trying to sell it on eBay.
>
> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
>
> My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
> it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
> I remove the HD before selling it?

I find that a hammer and magnet are the only reliable method of removing
data permanantly. Not necessarily in that order though.

Rob K

Zaphod wrote:

> Does
> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
> I remove the HD before selling it?

No. Yes.

Data recovery tools can do amazing things.

Removing the HD and destroying it is the safest way to protect your
personal information. Other than that, Google for HD wiping tools.

So it's a matter of personal preference.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13
vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy

Toolman Tim

"Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
> trying to sell it on eBay.
>
> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
>
> My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
> it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
> I remove the HD before selling it?

Was there anything "confidential" on it? Or just "personal"? No one cares
about your "personal" information. And most people aren't going to go to the
trouble to try and recover a re-formated hard drive just to look for your
"personal" files. If you are paranoid, you can run Darik's Boot and Nuke to
render the data on the hard drive as close to non-recoverable as possible.

If this was used in a *business* and contains confidential information, then
you need to destroy the drive (or ship the computer without it.)

Champagne Charlie

"Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
> trying to sell it on eBay.
>
> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
>
> My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
> it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
> I remove the HD before selling it?
>

> Thanks, David

Overwrite EVERY sector on the drive. Just fill it up till it's full of ****!
Then format it. That'll do the trick.

Geo.

Zaphod

Thanks everybody. You all had some good points to make.

I think I will see how long it will take to fill the HD with data and
then format it again. It took about 7 hours for Windows to install
since I had to disable the internal cache to get it to work. I have a
cd of family pictures that I wil try to load and see how long it takes,
if it will work at all.

The HD is only about 13 GB.

There's not a lot but there are some business and some personal finance
info that I would not like anyone to get.

Thanks, David

Walter Mautner

Zaphod wrote:

> I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
> trying to sell it on eBay.
>
> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.

Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
aiming for bad reputation?

> My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
> it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
> I remove the HD before selling it?

Your "personal information" will be on ebay anyways. If you have
confidential (business?) data left there, rather find a good steel mill.
No, you don't need to remove the harddrive beforehand.

Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Walter Mautner spewed forth:
> Zaphod wrote:
>
>> I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan
>> on trying to sell it on eBay.
>>
>> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
>> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the
>> computer on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache
>> in the bios setting or the comuter just turns itself off before
>> Windows completely loads. And that just seems to be the first of
>> more problems.
>>

> Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you
> deliberately aiming for bad reputation?

ROTFL!!!

--
Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify, assert, testify,
warrant, and affirm that it is not (nor has it ever been) my intent,

Zaphod

Walter Mautner wrote:
> Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
> aiming for bad reputation?

HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the computer,
why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell anything without
giving an accurate description of it.

> > My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
> > it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
> > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
> > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
> > I remove the HD before selling it?
> >

> Your "personal information" will be on ebay anyways. If you have
> confidential (business?) data left there, rather find a good steel mill.
> No, you don't need to remove the harddrive beforehand.

> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
> on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Sunny

"Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Walter Mautner wrote:
>> Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
>> aiming for bad reputation?
>>

> HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the computer,
> why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell anything without
> giving an accurate description of it.

<snip>
Like :
> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.

If you describe the PC as "suitable as a door stop" your reputation will be
secure.

If you were selling your old computer... Anonymous Computer Support 19 05-03-2006 11:00 AM
selling me old 70 270 Spadger MCSA 0 03-08-2005 10:47 PM
When selling a Windows XP computer... gg pynadnaski Computer Information 5 02-06-2004 02:02 PM
Selling Fuji 602z only one week old Phil Digital Photography 0 02-02-2004 04:41 PM
selling computer richt Microsoft Certification 3 01-21-2004 10:12 PM

Advertisments