Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD read speeds

CD read speeds

John

2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through the
stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.

Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating on DVD
rewriters?

PC

news(E-Mail Removed)...
>2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through
>the stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.
>
> Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating on DVD
> rewriters?

John

They've basically reached the maximum speed they can 'reasonably' spin the
disk at.
Your 55x drive can theoretically spin up to 11,000 RPM.
At that rate a CD can cause serious damage if it breaks.
Given the way the average punter treats them it's amazing they don't let go
more often.

Explanation on speeds here:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?l...q_general.html

Some relevant sites http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm,
http://www.paintbug.com/cdexplode/

Cheers
Paul

soup

PC wrote:
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking
> > through the stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in
> > read speeds.
> >
> > Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating
> > on DVD rewriters?
> >

> John
>
> They've basically reached the maximum speed they can 'reasonably'
> spin the disk at.
> Your 55x drive can theoretically spin up to 11,000 RPM.
> At that rate a CD can cause serious damage if it breaks.
> Given the way the average punter treats them it's amazing they don't
> let go more often.
> Explanation on speeds here:
> http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?l...q_general.html
> Some relevant sites http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm,
> http://www.paintbug.com/cdexplode/

At about 55000 revs a min the edge would go supersonic and you (TINY)
would get supersonic booms inside your CD case, but long before that
speed was reached the centripital stresses in the CD would far exceed
the "strength" of the CD and it would fly apart so 55X or about 11,000
RPM is the top range of the speeds used without testing individual
discs. Can see with specially tested discs and specially built drives
speeds going up to 20000 RPM but not for the mass market. Indeed there
have been a few cases of discs "letting go" at these "lower" speeds so
can not invisage mass market speeds getting much quicker.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through the
> stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.
>
> Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating on DVD
> rewriters?

You should understand a critical thing here, before you put much
emphasis on the speed of a CD drive:

It isn't reading at that speed, or anything close, almost the entire
time.

I suspect you wouldn't ever notice the difference between one like that
and a 32x or 40x drive at any time, excepting maybe by the noise they
produce.

Plato

John wrote:

> 2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through the
> stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.

Published read/write speeds are only in theory. Most home users cant
achive the speeds.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/