Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pushing virus definitions to Workstations with Symantec AV

Pushing virus definitions to Workstations with Symantec AV

Jack B. Pollack

We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server & WinXP
Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec comes out with
daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they do with the Auto-update
(LiveUpdate) definitions.

Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and PUSH
them out to the clients?

Thanks

Toolman Tim

In news:1136943939.591094@faramir,
Jack B. Pollack spewed forth:
> We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server &
> WinXP Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec
> comes out with daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they
> do with the Auto-update (LiveUpdate) definitions.
>
> Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and
> PUSH them out to the clients?
>
> Thanks

Dunno about the push - I wouldn't know how to do it that way. But yes, you
can do the download easy enough, and run a task on the workstations to
update. Here's where to start:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...es/US-N95.html

Download the file, give it a "generic" name when you save it. In other
words, instead of keeping the filename from the web site, always call it
"NAV_Update.exe" or something. And put it on a shared location on the
server. Set up a scheduled task on each workstation to run the
"NAV_Update.exe" at regularly scheduled intervals.

--
Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify, assert, testify,
warrant, and affirm that it is not (nor has it ever been) my intent,

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server & WinXP
> Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec comes out with
> daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they do with the

Auto-update
> (LiveUpdate) definitions.
>
> Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and PUSH
> them out to the clients?

Sure! Open up the Symantec Control Center, open up the group,
right-click on the Group Name, float over "Symantec Antivirus", float over
"Download Defs to Computers" (actual phrase may be different, I'm doing
this from memory), and left-click on it.

Easy peasy if you're using the console.

If you're NOT using the console to control and monitor the PCs, WHAT
THE **** ARE YOU USING CORPORATE FOR???? I mean, SHEEIIITT!!! That's like
buying a chain saw and never putting fuel in it!

RwP

(who thinks that the Corporate edition is the ONLY good edition out there
.... )

Toolman Tim

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy!
>
> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server &
>> WinXP
>> Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec comes out
>> with
>> daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they do with the

> Auto-update
>> (LiveUpdate) definitions.
>>
>> Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and PUSH
>> them out to the clients?

> Sure! Open up the Symantec Control Center, open up the group,
> right-click on the Group Name, float over "Symantec Antivirus", float over
> "Download Defs to Computers" (actual phrase may be different, I'm doing
> this from memory), and left-click on it.
>
> Easy peasy if you're using the console.
>
> If you're NOT using the console to control and monitor the PCs,
> WHAT
> THE **** ARE YOU USING CORPORATE FOR???? I mean, SHEEIIITT!!! That's
> like
> buying a chain saw and never putting fuel in it!
>
> RwP
>
> (who thinks that the Corporate edition is the ONLY good edition out there
> ... )

Heh heh! I agree with that. The McAfee corporate version is also not the
muddy, life-sucking, all-intrusive beast that the home "security suite" is.
I use the McAfee at work, and it too has the defs in my server within half
an hour of release, and my workstations check in every hour to see if
there's an update. (My previous post was a manual work-around, that while
not elegant, should be functional for any program needing scheduled
updates.)