Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT - Slow network segment

OT - Slow network segment

Slarty Bartfast

I had about 10 PC's - all connected through a hub (not a switch)
experiencing a slow network. All I usually do is turn the hub of for about a
minute then back on and the network on that segment speeds up again.
That's what I do - but can anyone tell me why it works??

--

Regards

Slarty Bartfast

Slarty Bartfast

Hi BillyW,
That would be right - you can't buy hubs anymore because switches are so
cheap.
But the water analogy - it will fill up with a lot of traffic, but the same
traffic is there after I turn it back on. It doesn't 'retain' the 'water'.
Why does it seem to 'clear' after rebooting?

--

Regards

Slarty Bartfast

Gary K

Sounds like maybe a transistor, power supply, etc... is beginning to fail,
and then when you turn off the hub for a while it has a chance to cool off.
Once cooled a little bit it then works normally until it begins to overheat
again.

I'm assuming you have already put a sniffer on your network to measure
traffic to eliminate things like packet storms.

"Slarty Bartfast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi BillyW,
> That would be right - you can't buy hubs anymore because switches are so
> cheap.
> But the water analogy - it will fill up with a lot of traffic, but the

same
> traffic is there after I turn it back on. It doesn't 'retain' the 'water'.
> Why does it seem to 'clear' after rebooting?
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Slarty Bartfast

Gary K

Since some of the really good sniffers are free I see no reason for even the
poorest of people/organisations not to have them.

While someone may use a hub rather than a switch for financial reasons--i.e.
got used hubs for free rather than spening money on switches--anyone can get
something like Ethereal.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...