Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Blocking sites

Blocking sites

Garland

I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.

I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.

The security level is on High

Any idea how to make this work?

Thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Garland wrote:
> I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.
>
> I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
> block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.
>
> The security level is on High
>
> Any idea how to make this work?

Use Google to look up how "hosts" files are done. Get some examples at
no charge, edit them to suit your needs. Such as:

Unk

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:00:53 -0000, "Garland" <.> wrote:

>I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.
>
>I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
>block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.
>
>The security level is on High
>
>Any idea how to make this work?
>
>Thanks

You could use the Hosts (no extension) file in "C:\Windows"
Read the "Hosts.sam" with notepad to see how to use it.
Also see "Using the Hosts File" http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
and http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

or

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, "Content", tab, "Content Advisor"
"Enable" button, "Approved Sites" tab, type in the url of the site you want blocked, click
"Never" button, click "Apply", "OK".
You can also click the "General" tab, and set a password so the "Content Advisor" can't be
altered.

Garland

Thanks for the info.

But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:00:53 -0000, "Garland" <.> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.
>>
>>I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
>>block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.
>>
>>The security level is on High
>>
>>Any idea how to make this work?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> You could use the Hosts (no extension) file in "C:\Windows"
> Read the "Hosts.sam" with notepad to see how to use it.
> Also see "Using the Hosts File" http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
> and http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> or
>
> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, "Content", tab,
> "Content Advisor"
> "Enable" button, "Approved Sites" tab, type in the url of the site you
> want blocked, click
> "Never" button, click "Apply", "OK".
> You can also click the "General" tab, and set a password so the "Content
> Advisor" can't be
> altered.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Garland wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
> to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you can
get, especially when you see that it works.
I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

> Thanks
>

> "Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:00:53 -0000, "Garland" <.> wrote:
>>

>>>I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.
>>>
>>>I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
>>>block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.
>>>
>>>The security level is on High
>>>
>>>Any idea how to make this work?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>You could use the Hosts (no extension) file in "C:\Windows"
>>Read the "Hosts.sam" with notepad to see how to use it.
>>Also see "Using the Hosts File" http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
>>and http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
>>http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>>
>>or
>>
>>Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, "Content", tab,
>>"Content Advisor"
>>"Enable" button, "Approved Sites" tab, type in the url of the site you
>>want blocked, click
>>"Never" button, click "Apply", "OK".
>>You can also click the "General" tab, and set a password so the "Content
>>Advisor" can't be
>>altered.

dadiOH

Garland wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a
> setting to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

"Restricted Zone" isn't to block sites, it is to define security
settings for sites within that zone. The hosts file is what you need...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Garland

Ah..

I see

thanks

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjNwf.1757$sa4.1362@trnddc07...
> Garland wrote:
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a
>> setting to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

> "Restricted Zone" isn't to block sites, it is to define security
> settings for sites within that zone. The hosts file is what you need...
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Spuds

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:20:13 GMT, Brian H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Garland wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
>> to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.
>>

>Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you can
>get, especially when you see that it works.
>I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
>How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed at all?

Doc

Spuds <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you
>>can get, especially when you see that it works.
>>I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
>>How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

> Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed
> at all?

Mine is 879KB, with 34,000 entries. On WinME with an old PII 300MHz I
notice no difference, speedwise, if I disable the hosts file ..... in fact
faster with the HOSTS file and eDexter as my dialup doesn't have to
download all the advertising that I have blocked.

To my knowledge, Win2K DOES have issues with a large HOSTS file under
certain setups.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Spuds wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:20:13 GMT, Brian H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Garland wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>>But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
>>>to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.
>>>

>>Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you can
>>get, especially when you see that it works.
>>I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
>>How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

> Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed at all?

Better actually as it reduces the wasted bandwidth by not loading the
unwanted stuff.