Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Questions about Oz....

Questions about Oz....

smee

I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are they
widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
Thanks for any replies.

Leo Landers

you can buy adaptors for british appliances at our supermarkets (Coles,
Woolworths, etc.)

Keep in touch,

Leo XOXO

"smee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Tkswf.71243$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
>whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
>charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
> Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are
> they widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
> Thanks for any replies.

Little k

"smee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Tkswf.71243$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
>whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
>charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
> Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are
> they widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
> Thanks for any replies.

Does this help...
http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/c_aust.htm

leveled

A few years ago we found travellers cheques expensive to change in the
banks, but the main post offices would change American Express Travellers
Cheques without a charge , which is what we did after being caned by the
banks. Would suggest you enquire whether this is still so

J-McC

Hi I am in Australia. Rather than travellers cheques I would use your
credit or debit card.
We are a very upto date country and do have ATM machines at most major
locations eg Fuel (petrol stops), shopping centres and most hotels and
accomodation have EFTPOS (Electronic Funds Transfers Point Of sale)
where you can pay by plastic and also get some cash out as well, you
cannot get a cash advance on your credit card except at the banks (I
think). In OZ there are a few type of cards, some are linked to your
saving/cheque account and you can get cash anywhere from these. The
credit cards are different, they will work allmost anywhere, 99.9% of
merchants take them. You cannot get cash advances from the credit
cards. Then there are debit cards which basically must have money in
credit in them and you can use them as a creit card but you can also
get cash advances as well.
You will need to to check with your bank in the UK. This is a lot
more convenient than travellers cheques, and you do not need to spend
all your cash upfront..
RE power outlet adapters you can purchase the at most hardware or
electrical stores. Our GPO are a different shape to the english ones.

Good luck with the trip. Also consider getting "Roaming" activated on
your mobile, that way you can allways call home or be contacted from
the UK in an emergency.
Jim McC http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:31:14 GMT, "Little k"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"smee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Tkswf.71243$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
>>whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
>>charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
>> Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are
>> they widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
>> Thanks for any replies.
>>

>Does this help...
>http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/c_aust.htm

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

smee wrote:
> I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
> whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
> charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
> Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are they
> widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
> Thanks for any replies.

I only took about 50 cash with me, any other money I needed I took from
ATM's.

Parko

smee wrote:
> I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
> whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
> charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
> Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are they
> widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
> Thanks for any replies.

Credit/Debit cards will suffice in all but the remotest locales.
Adaptors available from Mitre10, Bunnings, or DSE (Dick Smith
Electronics) stores. Visit Sydney if you like cockroaches and race
riots; Melbourne if you like wide boulevards, parks and gardens, and al
fresco dining. Current temp in Melb @ 0818 (ish) is 18C, sunny. Top temp
on Xmas day: 42C. Visit a coastal village, swim between the flags. Buy a
Mambo shirt.

boots66

on or around 09 Jan 2006, reportedly in news:ruAwf.212413$V7.103633@news-
server.bigpond.net.au, Parko <(E-Mail Removed)> was rumoured to have
supposedly alleged:

> Buy a
> Mambo shirt.

They don't make the "Loud Shirts" anymore.

--
It has been said that man is a rational animal.
All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.