Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Understanding network bridging in Windows XP

Understanding network bridging in Windows XP

wifi

Have a wired network, Network A, using 10.x.y.z range, with a gateway to the
Internet.

Also have a totally separate wireless network, Network B, using 172.1.a.b
range

Have a notebook running WinXP Pro with 2 network interfaces, one for the
wired network,
the other wireless. I bridge the 2 interfaces.

From a PC on Network A, I cannot ping a computer on Network B (possibly due
to the gateway).
The PC on Network B has its firewall disabled, of course.

Before I go and make IP configuration changes (and re-set up my little
experimental network again),
is it possible for a host on either network to communicate with a 2nd host
on the other network
using the Bridge? (Yes, I know I can get it to work by setting up my
notebook as a router
and adding static routes if necessary).

Or is Bridging only meant for separate networks that use the same IP (but
non-overlapping) range?

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>, "wifi"
<root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>Have a wired network, Network A, using 10.x.y.z range, with a gateway to the
>Internet.
>
>Also have a totally separate wireless network, Network B, using 172.1.a.b
>range
>
>Have a notebook running WinXP Pro with 2 network interfaces, one for the
>wired network,
>the other wireless. I bridge the 2 interfaces.
>
>From a PC on Network A, I cannot ping a computer on Network B (possibly due
>to the gateway).
>The PC on Network B has its firewall disabled, of course.
>
>Before I go and make IP configuration changes (and re-set up my little
>experimental network again),
>is it possible for a host on either network to communicate with a 2nd host
>on the other network
>using the Bridge? (Yes, I know I can get it to work by setting up my
>notebook as a router
>and adding static routes if necessary).
>
>Or is Bridging only meant for separate networks that use the same IP (but
>non-overlapping) range?

Think of the network bridge as a virtual hub, and think of the bridged
network connections as ports on a virtual hub. Like a physical hub,
the network bridge has no routing capability. It simply repeats
incoming packets from each port on all of the other ports.

The network bridge was designed to combine two or more physically
separate networks into one virtual network with one IP subnet, one
DHCP server, etc.

By the way, 172.1.a.b is a public IP range. The private IP range is
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255. Details here:

Address Allocation for Private Internets
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt

I hope that you're enjoying your experiments!
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

wifi

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>, "wifi"
> <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> >Have a wired network, Network A, using 10.x.y.z range, with a gateway to

the
> >Internet.
> >
> >Also have a totally separate wireless network, Network B, using 172.1.a.b
> >range
> >
> >Have a notebook running WinXP Pro with 2 network interfaces, one for the
> >wired network,
> >the other wireless. I bridge the 2 interfaces.
> >
> >From a PC on Network A, I cannot ping a computer on Network B (possibly

due
> >to the gateway).
> >The PC on Network B has its firewall disabled, of course.
> >
> >Before I go and make IP configuration changes (and re-set up my little
> >experimental network again),
> >is it possible for a host on either network to communicate with a 2nd

host
> >on the other network
> >using the Bridge? (Yes, I know I can get it to work by setting up my
> >notebook as a router
> >and adding static routes if necessary).
> >
> >Or is Bridging only meant for separate networks that use the same IP (but
> >non-overlapping) range?

> Think of the network bridge as a virtual hub, and think of the bridged
> network connections as ports on a virtual hub. Like a physical hub,
> the network bridge has no routing capability. It simply repeats
> incoming packets from each port on all of the other ports.
>
> The network bridge was designed to combine two or more physically
> separate networks into one virtual network with one IP subnet, one
> DHCP server, etc.
>
> By the way, 172.1.a.b is a public IP range. The private IP range is
> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255. Details here:
>
> Address Allocation for Private Internets
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt
>
> I hope that you're enjoying your experiments!
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks for the heads up Steve.