Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RAM upgrade: IBM ThinkPad 51 Series (Type 2888)

RAM upgrade: IBM ThinkPad 51 Series (Type 2888)

petrol

Hello all.

I don't know what to do. I bought 2x 512MB RAM for the ThinkPad a friend
of mine has and I was so sure it'd be a cinch to upgrade the thing. When
I looked at the bottom though, there's no eash access to get to the RAM.

I even took out the screws, but no way, I screwed all of them back on
before damaging the thing.

Why I'm doing this is: The machine is slow as hell. To even get it to
launch a browser takes some 5 minutes. If not more. I ran everything on
it to free up space and clear out the junk (used ccleaner, ad-aware,
nod32, uninstalled unnecessary apps) and it ran ok for a while - 8
hours. But this evening? Back to crapped out status.

So we stopped by Best Buy to get more RAM. And now, well. I'm stuck.

Please help.

zxcvbob

petrol wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I don't know what to do. I bought 2x 512MB RAM for the ThinkPad a friend
> of mine has and I was so sure it'd be a cinch to upgrade the thing. When
> I looked at the bottom though, there's no eash access to get to the RAM.
>
> I even took out the screws, but no way, I screwed all of them back on
> before damaging the thing.
>
> Why I'm doing this is: The machine is slow as hell. To even get it to
> launch a browser takes some 5 minutes. If not more. I ran everything on
> it to free up space and clear out the junk (used ccleaner, ad-aware,
> nod32, uninstalled unnecessary apps) and it ran ok for a while - 8
> hours. But this evening? Back to crapped out status.
>
> So we stopped by Best Buy to get more RAM. And now, well. I'm stuck.
>
> Please help.

I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to in
both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little access
panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one screw.

Bob

petrol

zxcvbob wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to in
> both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little access
> panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one screw.
>
> Bob

That access panel with the one screw, I see it. And there's something
held down by two clips that swing outwards, but then what's next? Do you
have a link on how to replace the RAM, step by step? Thank you. I'm
utterly clueless on how to do this.

why?

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:12:49 -0600, petrol wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to in
>> both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little access
>> panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one screw.
>>
>> Bob

>That access panel with the one screw, I see it. And there's something
>held down by two clips that swing outwards, but then what's next? Do you
>have a link on how to replace the RAM, step by step? Thank you. I'm
>utterly clueless on how to do this.

The long links are messy, try www.ibm.com and / or www.google.com . For
Google something simple like this search

thinkpad r51 type 2888 manual

OTOH as often mentioned, www.crucial.com

What type of memory,
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...8%29&submit=Go
says is 200 pin SODIMM, then looking for the install guide.

SODIMM install guide
http://www.crucial.com/install/sodimm.asp

Last link, found in 2 seconds using www.google.com , with this search

install sodimm

Me

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
petrol spewed forth:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to
>> in both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little
>> access panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one
>> screw. Bob

> That access panel with the one screw, I see it. And there's something
> held down by two clips that swing outwards,

That "something" is the RAM. If you don't know how to recognize that, you
probably should pay someone to do your upgrades.