Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Microsoft challenges Linux+legacy-hardware claim

B Gruff wrote:

> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can MS
> products.
>
> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
> round

Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
http://www.livecdlist.com
Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
such performance despite having to pay for
a legacy operating system.

Here is another:

I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

Santa

"7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mEZvf.22320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>B Gruff wrote:
>

>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1908908,00.asp
>>
>> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
>> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can MS
>> products.
>>
>> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
>> round

> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
> http://www.livecdlist.com
> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

So what? I had an Athlon 800Mhz with 128Mb ram a few years ago and it would
be more than capable of doing that running Windows 98, 2000 or XP.

> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
> such performance despite having to pay for
> a legacy operating system.
>
> Here is another:
>
> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

Again, nothing special there. I'd expect any operating system to be cabable
of doing the same with similar hardware.

Santa wrote:

> "7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mEZvf.22320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>B Gruff wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1908908,00.asp
>>>
>>> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
>>> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can
>>> MS products.
>>>
>>> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
>>> round

>> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
>> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
>> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
>> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
>> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

> So what? I had an Athlon 800Mhz with 128Mb ram a few years ago and it
> would be more than capable of doing that running Windows 98, 2000 or XP.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!!!
'would be'
Have you tried it then?

>> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
>> such performance despite having to pay for
>> a legacy operating system.
>>
>> Here is another:
>>
>> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
>> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
>> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
>> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
>> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.
>>

> Again, nothing special there. I'd expect any operating system to be
> cabable of doing the same with similar hardware.

BWAAAAA..
Liar!!
...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Linux Exposer

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:10:42 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
> http://www.livecdlist.com
> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.
>
> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
> such performance despite having to pay for
> a legacy operating system.
>
> Here is another:
>
> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

Lienix "Advocates" Technique #13

The *under-powered hardware troll*

Sure, we all know you can run database servers, enlightenment
burn DVD's, listen to MP3s and compile the kernel all at the same
time on a PIII with 128M of RAM.

Sure you can.

This troll is a classic used by Kelsey, Rapskat, 7 and others
in the LIEnix cult.

--
Never trust a Linux Advocate.
Words are cheap. Linux advocates' words are worthless.

Astroturfer working form micoshaft pretending to be a Linux Exposer wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:10:42 +0000, 7 wrote:
>

>> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
>> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
>> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
>> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
>> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.
>>
>> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
>> such performance despite having to pay for
>> a legacy operating system.
>>
>> Here is another:
>>
>> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
>> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
>> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
>> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
>> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

> Lienix "Advocates" Technique #13
>
> The *under-powered hardware troll*
>
> Sure, we all know you can run database servers, enlightenment
> burn DVD's, listen to MP3s and compile the kernel all at the same
> time on a PIII with 128M of RAM.
>
> Sure you can.
>
> This troll is a classic used by Kelsey, Rapskat, 7 and others
> in the LIEnix cult.

Lying windope trolls.
GNU/Linux can do all that above - and its free, there is no-one
stopping you from going to http://www.livecdlist.com and
downloading a free copy of livecd and trying it out.
These livecds come with source code so you can do as you like
with it, like run desktop, browsing, e-mail, www server,
ftp server, ssh serer etc...
All free.
And all faster than windope software by a million miles
despite you having to pay for windopes - the bit that doesn't
make sense until you try see the difference.

These astroturfers need money stolen from charities to function.
Only one way for money to be given for astroturfing and that
is to steal from kiddies cradles whilst protecting the
donor because of charity disclosure laws.

Don't listen to these windope bums.
They are a fscking waste of space.

Leythos

In article <mEZvf.22320$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
> such performance despite having to pay for
> a legacy operating system.

Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.

With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
with my Wireless network cards, my non-postscript printers, the wide-
screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
play on any of the Linux platforms.

Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.

While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

kenny

Windows is more cost effective than linux, it is cheaper to use and maintain
update - upgrade computers with windows than with linux.
People learn to use and be productive on the MS platform far faster.

Think of all the time that would be wasted from people trying to install a
program (THEY WANT not the ones that come with the distro), or connect a new
hardware.

In other words, if suddenly my some satanic magical force all computers were
formatted and had linux installed on them... almost no work would be done on
planet earth. I am talking about workstations.

Linux is good as servers where only computer experts handle them. There are
practically no professional quality programs for using it as
a workstation.

You see... the more advanced a technology is, the easier it is for a person
with no computer training to use it. Advanced technology
makes a persons life easier.

You have to face reality... and that is that linux is good only for the
people that have time or its their hobby to mess around with computers.

Kenny

"7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mEZvf.22320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>B Gruff wrote:
>

>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1908908,00.asp
>>
>> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
>> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can MS
>> products.
>>
>> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
>> round

> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
> http://www.livecdlist.com
> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.
>
> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
> such performance despite having to pay for
> a legacy operating system.
>
> Here is another:
>
> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

kenny

linux is so bad, that even if they give away for free... the majority of
people still dont want it!

I have tested many versions of linux, trying to find a reason to like it....
but sorry...
its too lame for a workstation!

When vista comes out, I will be the first to buy it, pay MS for a product
that
gives you extreme flexibility and the ability to produce work and make more
money out of that investment.

Windows is a tool, linux is a hobby.

news:r_Zvf.22326$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

Leythos wrote:

> In article <mEZvf.22320$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
>> such performance despite having to pay for
>> a legacy operating system.

> Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
> Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
>
> With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
> with my Wireless network cards,

What it really means is that you don't how to use
a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.

> my non-postscript printers, the wide-
> screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
> currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
> play on any of the Linux platforms.
>
> Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
> cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
>
> While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
> person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability means
you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
with someone who knows what they are doing.

Junk

7 wrote:

> Leythos wrote:
>
>> In article <mEZvf.22320$(E-Mail Removed) >,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
>>> such performance despite having to pay for
>>> a legacy operating system.

>> Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
>> Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
>>
>> With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
>> with my Wireless network cards,

> What it really means is that you don't how to use
> a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.
>

>> my non-postscript printers, the wide-
>> screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
>> currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
>> play on any of the Linux platforms.
>>
>> Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
>> cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
>>
>> While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
>> person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

> You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability means
> you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
> with someone who knows what they are doing.

**** sake, your doing a wonderfull job of putting off anyone who's thinking
of trying Linux. Perhaps that's the point?