Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > boot up

boot up

john marsden

i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
the c.d rom .
any help appreciated
john marsden.

Fred

"john marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f2xvf.23779$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
>the c.d rom .
> any help appreciated
> john marsden.

Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

Gordon

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:

> "john marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f2xvf.23779$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
>>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
>>the c.d rom .
>> any help appreciated
>> john marsden.
>>

> Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

Gordon

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:38:35 +0000, john marsden wrote:

> i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
> it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
> the c.d rom .
> any help appreciated
> john marsden.

Boot from the W98 startup floppy and select the CD rom drive from the dos
prompt.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10
to email me replace the obvious!

Fred

news(E-Mail Removed) ldomain...
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:
>

>> "john marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:f2xvf.23779$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows
>>>98.but
>>>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
>>>the c.d rom .
>>> any help appreciated
>>> john marsden.
>>>

>> Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

> W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....

You are right! missed that!

Zaphod

Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:
>

> > "john marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:f2xvf.23779$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
> >>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
> >>the c.d rom .
> >> any help appreciated
> >> john marsden.
> >>

> > Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

> W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....
>
> --
> Registered Linux User no 240308
> Ubuntu 5.10
> gordonDOTburgessparkerATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> to email me replace the obvious!

I changed the bios to bootup from the CD on my Win98 computer and it
worked.

David

AGEE

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:26:42 +0000, Gordon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:
>

>> "john marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:f2xvf.23779$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
>>>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
>>>the c.d rom .
>>> any help appreciated
>>> john marsden.
>>>

>> Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

>W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....

They are but it's better to copy the install files to the hard drive
and install from there. Stops the system asking for the install media
when anything is changed.

Assuming user has minimal knowledge of command line

Boot using the W98 floppy
Select CD support (can't recall the exact wording on the menu)

Don't type the quotes in the following
At the command prompt type 'MD c:\win98' and hit enter key

Then type 'E:' and hit enter key (assumes your CD drive has been
allocated the E letter. If it hasn't you need to experiment.)

At the E:\ prompt type' CD win98' and hit enter.

At the E:\win98 prompt type 'copy *.* c:\win98' and hit the enter
key (space after copy and after *.*)

After all the cab files have copied type 'c:' and hit the enter key

At the C:\ prompt type 'CD win98' and hit enter

At the C:\win98 prompt type 'setup' and hit enter.

Follow the prompts from thereon.