Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hiding your ip address

Hiding your ip address

Hi.
Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net. Some will
think this is stupid, probably is but.
Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
Do any of them work?
If so which program can people recommend?
Is there any that are free or shareware?
Cheers in advance

Plato

T wrote:

> Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net. Some will
> think this is stupid, probably is but.
> Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
> Do any of them work?
> If so which program can people recommend?
> Is there any that are free or shareware?

My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not worth
the effort.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mike Easter

Plato wrote:
> T wrote:
>>
>> Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net.
>> Some will think this is stupid, probably is but.
>> Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
>> Do any of them work?
>> If so which program can people recommend?
>> Is there any that are free or shareware?

> My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
> room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
> it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
> worth the effort.

Depending on one's basis for wanting to use a proxy, a 'bad' proxy is
worse than no proxy -- certainly much worse than a good or healthy proxy
or 'legitimate' proxy.

Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.

Thugs and other obnoxious or abusive personalities get thrown out of
meatspace bars, too. Thank goodness.

--
Mike Easter

Cheers.
Not sure what a proxy server is or how it works etc?
But like the sound of a "program" that says it does the same thing (I
think), but are any worth it?
news:43bdb46a$0$28933$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Plato wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>>
>>> Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net.
>>> Some will think this is stupid, probably is but.
>>> Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
>>> Do any of them work?
>>> If so which program can people recommend?
>>> Is there any that are free or shareware?

>> My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
>> room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
>> it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
>> worth the effort.

> Depending on one's basis for wanting to use a proxy, a 'bad' proxy is
> worse than no proxy -- certainly much worse than a good or healthy proxy
> or 'legitimate' proxy.
>
> Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
> revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
> 'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.
>
> Thugs and other obnoxious or abusive personalities get thrown out of
> meatspace bars, too. Thank goodness.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

T wrote:

> Not sure what a proxy server is or how it works etc?

There are all kinds of proxies. This thread, yours, started out about
privacy issues.

> But like the sound of a "program" that says it does the same thing (I
> think), but are any worth it?

I don't know about the 'sound' of a 'program' because you haven't
expressed yourself very well yet. Here's where we started, which is
getting a little upside down with your topposting.

What exactly does that mean? That is, when you surf the net 'normally'
you are exposing your IP address and a number of other things about your
browser and its configuration . And/but your greatest 'insecurity' has
to do with your browser's insecurity, not the exposure of your IP. That
is, your browser's insecurity exposes you to exploits of your system.
Those exploits endanger your 'privacy' more than does the exposure of
the IP. You need to get your securities and insecurities properly
prioritized.

What 'programs' do you have in mind that caused you to say...

Services which sell various flavors of privacy, have these things to say
about how web proxies work

http://www.cotse.net/basics-webproxies.html Overview of Web Proxies

Cotse is a service that assumes that you know a little bit about what
you are doing -- so maybe you should try to explain why it is that you
think you need some kind of 'hiding your ip address' when you are
surfing the net. If you are visiting sites which cause you concern that
your IP address is known to them, let's just say pr0n or porn sites for
sake of the argument, you should especially be aware that such sites are
the most notorious for exploiting insecurity vulnerabilities of your
browser.

Your browser's insecurities aren't rendered secure by a proxy.

--
Mike Easter

What I'm trying to say is:
The thought of a program hiding my address etc sounds better for me then
having a proxy server, the reason for this is the program option sounds
easier as i am not that well talented on the computer front, which the proxy
server option sounds complicated!
news:43bdbb59$0$6292$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
>T wrote:
>
>> Not sure what a proxy server is or how it works etc?

> There are all kinds of proxies. This thread, yours, started out about
> privacy issues.
>
>> But like the sound of a "program" that says it does the same thing (I
>> think), but are any worth it?

> I don't know about the 'sound' of a 'program' because you haven't
> expressed yourself very well yet. Here's where we started, which is
> getting a little upside down with your topposting.

> What exactly does that mean? That is, when you surf the net 'normally'
> you are exposing your IP address and a number of other things about your
> browser and its configuration . And/but your greatest 'insecurity' has
> to do with your browser's insecurity, not the exposure of your IP. That
> is, your browser's insecurity exposes you to exploits of your system.
> Those exploits endanger your 'privacy' more than does the exposure of
> the IP. You need to get your securities and insecurities properly
> prioritized.

> What 'programs' do you have in mind that caused you to say...

> Services which sell various flavors of privacy, have these things to say
> about how web proxies work
>
> http://www.cotse.net/basics-webproxies.html Overview of Web Proxies
>

> Cotse is a service that assumes that you know a little bit about what
> you are doing -- so maybe you should try to explain why it is that you
> think you need some kind of 'hiding your ip address' when you are
> surfing the net. If you are visiting sites which cause you concern that
> your IP address is known to them, let's just say pr0n or porn sites for
> sake of the argument, you should especially be aware that such sites are
> the most notorious for exploiting insecurity vulnerabilities of your
> browser.
>
> Your browser's insecurities aren't rendered secure by a proxy.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Plato

Mike Easter wrote:

> > My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
> > room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
> > it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
> > worth the effort.

> Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
> revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
> 'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.

Well, yeah, there's a good chance that's what happened. I dont consider
it an issue tho. Let him learn the hard way.

T wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is:
> The thought of a program hiding my address etc sounds better for me then
> having a proxy server, the reason for this is the program option sounds

I honestly dont know if what you want to do is possible.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

John Holmes

Plato wrote:

> I honestly dont know if what you want to do is possible.

You are just a clueless lunatic then, eh?
STFU, you ****ing clueless ****.
--
Your mother was a languid cafeteria lady who used to eat crackers in a
morgue.

Rob

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:06:09 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Plato wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>>
>>> Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net.
>>> Some will think this is stupid, probably is but.
>>> Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
>>> Do any of them work?
>>> If so which program can people recommend?
>>> Is there any that are free or shareware?

>> My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
>> room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
>> it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
>> worth the effort.

>Depending on one's basis for wanting to use a proxy, a 'bad' proxy is
>worse than no proxy -- certainly much worse than a good or healthy proxy
>or 'legitimate' proxy.
>
>Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
>revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
>'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.

Mike, that's not always the case. I almost never used a chat room and
recently decided to. In one chat room, I just entered and waited
about 2 minutes to observe the kinda discussion that would take place
because I saw no activity at that time and then all of a sudden I got
a window that said I was banned. I never said a word in that chat
room. I asked my teenage daughter why I got banned and she said
because I did not participate in chatting which I thought was odd. I
guess that will just add to my dislikes for visiting chat rooms in the
future.

Script for Hiding/Un-Hiding Text On Click Ste Javascript 41 08-01-2007 02:35 PM
Hiding WebPage name in address bar Mustufa Baig ASP .Net 6 04-05-2005 06:10 PM
Hiding Email address me ASP .Net 3 04-04-2005 04:40 PM
Hiding aspx path in address bar Vikram ASP .Net 4 02-22-2005 03:07 PM
Hiding Address bar through Resounse.redirect or Server.transfer thomson ASP .Net 1 01-03-2005 02:06 PM

Advertisments