Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best Windows 2000 Server backup software??

Best Windows 2000 Server backup software??

Bradley Walker

Hello all,

I have a client that is in a weird position. They have owned a Dell
PowerEdge 600SC server for about 4 years now. With the server came tape
backup software which is now showing it's age, although still working.
However last month after an upgrade to Quickbooks 2006, Quickbooks requires
itself to be *installed* on the server in order for the datafile to be
shared from there. This has created an application incompatibility with the
tape backup software now crashing everytime it's run. This issue has been
attributed directly to the installation of QB2006. The issue for this
business is that they can NOT migrate backwards to QB05, that's basically
written in stone. They also don't have time to sit and troubleshoot it so
they have opted to buy new tape backup software.

My question to everyone here is, what is the best Backup software for a
Windows 2000 server? The tape drive is a Travan 20/40gb drive. They have a
backup policy of doing full backups on Friday evening which leaves Monday -
Thursday of doing backups of files that have changed since the previous
day's backup. What is the best backup software to meet this need?

Brad

Toolman Tim

In news:LVhvf.1259$(E-Mail Removed),
Bradley Walker spewed forth:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a client that is in a weird position. They have owned a Dell
> PowerEdge 600SC server for about 4 years now. With the server came
> tape backup software which is now showing it's age, although still
> working. However last month after an upgrade to Quickbooks 2006,
> Quickbooks requires itself to be *installed* on the server in order
> for the datafile to be shared from there. This has created an
> application incompatibility with the tape backup software now
> crashing everytime it's run. This issue has been attributed directly
> to the installation of QB2006. The issue for this business is that
> they can NOT migrate backwards to QB05, that's basically written in
> stone. They also don't have time to sit and troubleshoot it so they
> have opted to buy new tape backup software.
> My question to everyone here is, what is the best Backup software for
> a Windows 2000 server? The tape drive is a Travan 20/40gb drive. They
> have a backup policy of doing full backups on Friday evening
> which leaves Monday - Thursday of doing backups of files that have
> changed since the previous day's backup. What is the best backup
> software to meet this need?
> Brad

Hi, Brad!

I use Backup Exec (formerly from Veritas) from Symantec. It takes a while to
get used to it, but it is quite excellent. (I use both the Netware and the
Windows versions - two different offices.)

I also have some issues with Quickbooks, although it's the 2005 version (we
haven't upgraded) and our Novell server (not Windows). It seems that
Quickbooks network version will not allow multi-user access from a Netware
server. (Funny thing is, when I called Intuit, they kept blaming my problems
on Microsoft, and it wasn't even an MS server. Stupid script readers...)

So what I did was to set up a shared folder on a Windows XP Pro workstation,
and users access the data from there. Then, at about 10:00 at night (we have
no night crew) I have a batch file copy the data files from the workstation
to a folder on the network so I get daily tape backups.

That idea might work for you, unless as you seemed to indicate, the 2006
version won't run in multi-user mode from a shared folder on a workstation.
Since so many small business do not have a Windows server installed but
rather work in "workgroups" mode, it seems foolish of Intuit to write
software that no longer runs in a workgroup format.

Toolman Tim

In news:6sjvf.857$(E-Mail Removed),
Toolman Tim spewed forth:
> In news:LVhvf.1259$(E-Mail Removed),
> Bradley Walker spewed forth:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a client that is in a weird position. They have owned a Dell
>> PowerEdge 600SC server for about 4 years now. With the server came
>> tape backup software which is now showing it's age, although still
>> working. However last month after an upgrade to Quickbooks 2006,
>> Quickbooks requires itself to be *installed* on the server in order
>> for the datafile to be shared from there. This has created an
>> application incompatibility with the tape backup software now
>> crashing everytime it's run. This issue has been attributed directly
>> to the installation of QB2006. The issue for this business is that
>> they can NOT migrate backwards to QB05, that's basically written in
>> stone. They also don't have time to sit and troubleshoot it so they
>> have opted to buy new tape backup software.
>> My question to everyone here is, what is the best Backup software for
>> a Windows 2000 server? The tape drive is a Travan 20/40gb drive.
>> They have a backup policy of doing full backups on Friday evening
>> which leaves Monday - Thursday of doing backups of files that have
>> changed since the previous day's backup. What is the best backup
>> software to meet this need?
>> Brad

> Hi, Brad!
>
> I use Backup Exec (formerly from Veritas) from Symantec. It takes a
> while to get used to it, but it is quite excellent. (I use both the
> Netware and the Windows versions - two different offices.)
>
> I also have some issues with Quickbooks, although it's the 2005
> version (we haven't upgraded) and our Novell server (not Windows). It
> seems that Quickbooks network version will not allow multi-user
> access from a Netware server. (Funny thing is, when I called Intuit,
> they kept blaming my problems on Microsoft, and it wasn't even an MS
> server. Stupid script readers...)
> So what I did was to set up a shared folder on a Windows XP Pro
> workstation, and users access the data from there. Then, at about
> 10:00 at night (we have no night crew) I have a batch file copy the
> data files from the workstation to a folder on the network so I get
> daily tape backups.
> That idea might work for you, unless as you seemed to indicate, the
> 2006 version won't run in multi-user mode from a shared folder on a
> workstation. Since so many small business do not have a Windows
> server installed but rather work in "workgroups" mode, it seems
> foolish of Intuit to write software that no longer runs in a
> workgroup format.

Oh - by the way - you may need the Open Files Option (costs extra) for the
tape backup software unless it is running backups only when all users are
logged off.