Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is this a spyware probram?

Is this a spyware probram?

Zaphod

Has anyone seen this problem?

I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
dialer. It says :

Network connections
you (or a program) have requested information from
americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?

It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
still won't work.

Thanks, David

old jon

"Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Has anyone seen this problem?
>
> I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
> dialer. It says :
>
> Network connections
> you (or a program) have requested information from
> americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
>
> It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
> computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
> have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
> have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
> on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
> still won't work.
>
> Thanks, David

Have you got AOL on the machine ?.
bw..OJ

Sandy Rickey

old jon, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the baffled, semicomatose
dewberry, and strange glassblower who fills dead cows’ bowels with molten
glass ready blowing, dilated:

> "Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Has anyone seen this problem?
>>
>> I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
>> dialer. It says :
>>
>> Network connections
>> you (or a program) have requested information from
>> americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
>>
>> It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this
>> new computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the
>> internet, I have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet
>> Security software. I have been trying to get internet explorer to
>> work when the firewall is on for a week now. I have done everything
>> nortos says to do but it still won't work.
>>
>> Thanks, David
>>

> Have you got AOL on the machine ?.
> bw..OJ

joevan

On 5 Jan 2006 08:45:45 -0800, "Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone seen this problem?
>
>I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
>dialer. It says :
>
>Network connections
>you (or a program) have requested information from
>americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
>
>It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
>computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
>have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
>have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
>on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
>still won't work.
>
>Thanks, David

You have norton and aohell on your machine. Poor you.
Call aol, or norton and wait on the phone for some tech help. LOL
and for the same reason."

Zaphod

joevan wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2006 08:45:45 -0800, "Zaphod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone seen this problem?
> >
> >I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
> >dialer. It says :
> >
> >Network connections
> >you (or a program) have requested information from
> >americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
> >
> >It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
> >computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
> >have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
> >have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
> >on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
> >still won't work.
> >
> >Thanks, David

> You have norton and aohell on your machine. Poor you.
> Call aol, or norton and wait on the phone for some tech help. LOL
> --
> "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
> and for the same reason."

Thanks everybody,

I did get help from AOL. I did the live chat with an AOL technition. He
was not able to help much during the chat but right after I got an
email form AOL telling me that I should go into the internet options of
Internet Explorer and click the connections tab and remove any
connections listed it the add / remove window. Thant seems to have done
the trick.

I am thinking of changing from AOL to PeoplePC. I tried to sign up for
PeoplePC yesterday but I had to disable the Norton firewall to sign up
and the firewall came back on right at the end and screwed it up.

Thanks, David

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Zaphod wrote:

> I am thinking of changing from AOL to PeoplePC.

Isn't that almost like jumping from the fire into the frying pan? Look
for a recent thread here where a guy complained about PeoplePC burrowing
itself into his computer, just like AOL does.

Unless you need to be led by the hand, try a real (unobtrusive) ISP such
as Localnet. You are probably in the US?

http://www.localnet.com/coverage.cgi $9.95/month
Check to see if there is a local dialup number for you on that page. I
have several friends using Localnet and they are quite happy with the
service.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Zaphod

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Zaphod wrote:
>
> > I am thinking of changing from AOL to PeoplePC.

> Isn't that almost like jumping from the fire into the frying pan? Look
> for a recent thread here where a guy complained about PeoplePC burrowing
> itself into his computer, just like AOL does.
>
> Unless you need to be led by the hand, try a real (unobtrusive) ISP such
> as Localnet. You are probably in the US?
>
> http://www.localnet.com/coverage.cgi $9.95/month
> Check to see if there is a local dialup number for you on that page. I
> have several friends using Localnet and they are quite happy with the
> service.
>
> --
> -bts
> -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Thanks for your suggestion.

After trying to sign on to PeopolePC last night I had to call them for
help. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes and then talking to someone
probably in India I was told that my registration had not been
completed and was switched to another department. After waiting on hold
another 20 minutes, that person siad that my registration had not been
completed and they needed to switch me back to the department that I
had just talked too. I told them to forget it and remove any
registration I had already done. They couldn't even do that. I will
still have to call them again to make sure they don't start charging me
for access I am not getting.

Thanks, David