Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Locking folders

Locking folders

Addisons

I am running WindowsXP Home Edition, SP2. I do not have the option to lock
out any of my folders. The option to do so is grayed out. I have the only
administrator account on the computer.

TIA,
Hawkeye65

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Addisons spewed forth:
> I am running WindowsXP Home Edition, SP2. I do not have the option to
> lock out any of my folders. The option to do so is grayed out. I have
> the only administrator account on the computer.
>

> TIA,
> Hawkeye65

What do you mean "lock out"? Are you talking about encryption? Encryption
doesn't work in XP Home. But there are better solutions on the web. I like
this one: http://www.truecrypt.org/

samuel

"Addisons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am running WindowsXP Home Edition, SP2. I do not have the
> option to lock out any of my folders. The option to do so is
> grayed out. I have the only administrator account on the
> computer.
>

> TIA,
> Hawkeye65

did you have a question ?

Martik

"Addisons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running WindowsXP Home Edition, SP2. I do not have the option to lock
>out any of my folders. The option to do so is grayed out. I have the only
>administrator account on the computer.
>

> TIA,
> Hawkeye65

Just select properties and hide the folder, then tools,options, 'do not show
hidden...'

Otherwise wade thru this:

Martik

news:GH1vf.261$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Addisons spewed forth:
>> I am running WindowsXP Home Edition, SP2. I do not have the option to
>> lock out any of my folders. The option to do so is grayed out. I have
>> the only administrator account on the computer.
>>

>> TIA,
>> Hawkeye65

> What do you mean "lock out"? Are you talking about encryption? Encryption
> doesn't work in XP Home. But there are better solutions on the web. I like
> this one: http://www.truecrypt.org/

That is so cool! Obvious weakness is that the container file could become
corrupted resulting in a total loss of data. I'll have to investigate the
device/partition options later.

John Wunderlich

"Martik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> I am running WindowsXP Home Edition, SP2. I do not have the
>>> option to lock out any of my folders. The option to do so is
>>> grayed out. I have the only administrator account on the
>>> computer.
>>>

>>> TIA,
>>> Hawkeye65

>> What do you mean "lock out"? Are you talking about encryption?
>> Encryption doesn't work in XP Home. But there are better
>> solutions on the web. I like this one: http://www.truecrypt.org/

> That is so cool! Obvious weakness is that the container file could
> become corrupted resulting in a total loss of data. I'll have to
> investigate the device/partition options later.

I use this Truecrypt and have never had problems. Nevertheless,
using a system like this does not relieve the user of keeping
regular archive/backups. I prefer to size my container files such
that they just fit onto a CD or DVD. Then backups are as simple as
burning the container file onto the CD/DVD. Everything is then
backed up, secure, and encrypted so long as you remember your
passphrase...

Using Microsoft's Encrypted File System has the disadvantage that
the key to the encryption is contained in a certificate under the
user's profile. Unless this certificate is backed up, a system
crash or profile crash can cause loss of data even though the
encrypted data itself is archived. It also makes it extremely
difficult to move data from one machine to another securely (USB
Drive) or securely access the data over the network from another
machine. Truecrypt does not suffer these inconveniences.

HTH,
john

Martik

"John Wunderlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns974293F17CC7Bwunderpsdrscraytheon@138.126. 254.210...
> "Martik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> What do you mean "lock out"? Are you talking about encryption?
>>> Encryption doesn't work in XP Home. But there are better
>>> solutions on the web. I like this one: http://www.truecrypt.org/

>> That is so cool! Obvious weakness is that the container file could
>> become corrupted resulting in a total loss of data. I'll have to
>> investigate the device/partition options later.
>>

> I use this Truecrypt and have never had problems. Nevertheless,
> using a system like this does not relieve the user of keeping
> regular archive/backups. I prefer to size my container files such
> that they just fit onto a CD or DVD. Then backups are as simple as
> burning the container file onto the CD/DVD. Everything is then
> backed up, secure, and encrypted so long as you remember your
> passphrase...
>
> Using Microsoft's Encrypted File System has the disadvantage that
> the key to the encryption is contained in a certificate under the
> user's profile. Unless this certificate is backed up, a system
> crash or profile crash can cause loss of data even though the
> encrypted data itself is archived. It also makes it extremely
> difficult to move data from one machine to another securely (USB
> Drive) or securely access the data over the network from another
> machine. Truecrypt does not suffer these inconveniences.

Thanks, note also that MS Encrypted File System does
NOT hide the file names.

Toolman Tim

In news7ivf.36142$AP5.27530@edtnps84,
Martik spewed forth:
> "John Wunderlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns974293F17CC7Bwunderpsdrscraytheon@138.126. 254.210...
>> "Martik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> That is so cool! Obvious weakness is that the container file could
>>> become corrupted resulting in a total loss of data. I'll have to
>>> investigate the device/partition options later.
>>>

>> I use this Truecrypt and have never had problems. Nevertheless,
>> using a system like this does not relieve the user of keeping
>> regular archive/backups. I prefer to size my container files such
>> that they just fit onto a CD or DVD. Then backups are as simple as
>> burning the container file onto the CD/DVD. Everything is then
>> backed up, secure, and encrypted so long as you remember your
>> passphrase...

Great tip - thanks

>> Using Microsoft's Encrypted File System has the disadvantage that
>> the key to the encryption is contained in a certificate under the
>> user's profile. Unless this certificate is backed up, a system
>> crash or profile crash can cause loss of data even though the
>> encrypted data itself is archived. It also makes it extremely
>> difficult to move data from one machine to another securely (USB
>> Drive) or securely access the data over the network from another
>> machine. Truecrypt does not suffer these inconveniences.

> Thanks, note also that MS Encrypted File System does
> NOT hide the file names.

An excellent observation!